Sponsored by:

Sunroof on a track day car = Danger

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I think that I am fairly fast in my 996 GT3 (2:06's at VIR Full), but I don't feel that the sunroof in my new 997 GT3 (if there is no delete option) will have a significant enough effect to make me slower. I think I will probably feel it to some degree, but not enough to matter. I DO NOT want a sunroof - beleive me! I am short so that is not really a problem for me as far as helmet clearance goes. Nevertheless, I am unhappy about the sunroof!
I think that Matt makes the correct point in his post. Yes a sunroof is not great for a track car, and yes many would like to have the ability to delete. But even for a very the fast drivers out there (still only a handful IMHO), the sunroof will matter not at all for lap times. That was the only point.

Btw Matt, 2:06s at VIR...nice. You running Hoosiers?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

94 Speedster and XSpeedFreakX - Sunroof or not, is there an option for a lowered driver's seat?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:35 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew D.
94 Speedster and XSpeedFreakX - Sunroof or not, is there an option for a lowered driver's seat?
the 997's (non-gt3) do have a seat that can be adjusted lower, where the 996's (non-gt3) you had to order a fixed lower seat option.
but i imagine this probably will not affect those that are going to replace the seats with the cgt type!?

jeff
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
the 997's (non-gt3) do have a seat that can be adjusted lower, where the 996's (non-gt3) you had to order a fixed lower seat option.
but i imagine this probably will not affect those that are going to replace the seats with the cgt type!?

jeff
How do you adjust the seat lower? I hit my head on the headliner with my helmet on.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Larry is one of my original 2. Larry is legit fast (2:09s at the Glen in a RSA does not lie). I only know one other on that list, and I think he would agree he is not in Larry league. The others I don't know at all, but if they ain't racing, they ain't that fast.

Raf, Keith and Barry are all good...I'll add them to the list. I don't know any of the SCCA guys, but if they are only "racing" in parking lots, then they don't even count.
Baker was the only GT3 that could give John Heinricy a battle on the 2004 Runoff. He's a multiple T1 class regional SCCA winner .

Ian is a parking lot/airfield driver. However, if there are limits in a GT3, he drives at them. 2nd place at the SCCA Nationals last year, and 1st place at a SCCA National Tour this year. For me, he does count.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:56 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have stock (US) seats in my 996 GT3, and I need another inch or two to sit up straight (my favored driving position) when wearing a helmet. I do know that with the Euro OEM "race" seats, one can get a few inches (maybe 1-2in) lower. I sat in one when looking at GT3s on the market, and had a good 2-3 inches of headroom (I am 6'3"). My goal is buy one from Carnewal this winter and have it ready for next summer DEs....
Old 07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, Corvette's do NOT have sunroofs so my assumption is that they design the ZO6 to perform however they wanted to perform. The whole in the roof is the right idea (in the case of the ZO6), they're reducing weight in the worst place to have it, while Porsche is adding it.

If Porsche can produce a car that's just as rigid and performs exactly the same with and without the sunroof and both weigh the same, then from a performance perspective they've got me.

From a principle's perspective a SUNROOF ON A GT3 / RS IS JUST WRONG SO PORSCHE PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!

Quick Reply: Sunroof on a track day car = Danger