Sponsored by:

Sunroof on a track day car = Danger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:54 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
if 99% of drivers cannot drive to the car's potential, you're saying that assuming there are 1000 GT3's in this country, there are 10 owner/drivers that can? (rolling eyes like an exorcism). sorry but I seriously disagree....
Bottom line is that a sunroof does'nt matter, but it's still crap..............
You have completely and utterly misread my post.

Do you honestly think that 99% of the GT3 drivers in this country drive their car so well that the existence of a sunroof is materially affecting their laptimes? Give me a break. I the laptimes of most GT3 drivers would be identical with or without a sunroof because it is the driver, not the car, holding them back. I also bet that 99% of the drivers would not be able to tell you whether the car had a sunroof or not if you were able to test it in some sort of blind experiment (sunroof area covered).

I don't want a sunroof. I wouldn't order a sunroof. I hate the idea of a sunroof. Nonetheless, I am not delusional enough to think that a sunroof would "hold me back." Imagine this overheard at the track "I would have passed you but that godd*mned sunroof held me back . . . "
Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
Bottom line is that a sunroof does'nt matter, but it's still crap..............

No, I understood your post. Which is why I said it doesn't matter.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
No, I understood your post. Which is why I said it doesn't matter.
So I guess we are agreeing.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this comment has been made before, but I fall into the "tall category" (over 6'2") and will have tough time fitting my helmet under a sunroof in ANY water cooled Porsche (996, 997...) I don't like the idea of a sunroof in a GT3 in general, but now have a real world "problem" associated with it... (damn parents, I blame them for this!)

-B
Old 07-21-2006, 03:23 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I know this comment has been made before, but I fall into the "tall category" (over 6'2") and will have tough time fitting my helmet under a sunroof in ANY water cooled Porsche (996, 997...) I don't like the idea of a sunroof in a GT3 in general, but now have a real world "problem" associated with it... (damn parents, I blame them for this!)

-B
I share you predicament man. I'm over 6'3 and with a helmet i'm going to be
Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

So... if we aren't in the best drivers in the world group, we are not allowed to have top notch (focused) equipment?

If we stay with this philosophy (of some of you) then:

- No top of the line performing sports equipment period for normal folks, no matter how enthusiastic they are.

- no point upgrading the GT3 cause we can't fully drive what we have already
Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
So I guess we are agreeing.

No, not really.
I believe that there are significantly more skillful drivers than you give credit for.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
I believe that there are significantly more skillful drivers than you give credit for.
I am with TD on this. I can think of exactly two people in all of PCA club racing that do or have owned GT3s and can drive them fast. And that is looking at the very top end of the spectrum. When you throw in all the DEers, the percentages just gets worse. There may be a few others who are decent, but most people are not even close to the limits of the car.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
I am with TD on this. I can think of exactly two people in all of PCA club racing that do or have owned GT3s and can drive them fast. And that is looking at the very top end of the spectrum. When you throw in all the DEers, the percentages just gets worse. There may be a few others who are decent, but most people are not even close to the limits of the car.
Amen to that .

It gets even worse with the modded ones , 99 % of those owners are either slow as snails or endangering themselfes and others.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:48 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 557 Posts
Red face

Well, I can count a few more then 2. Heck on here there are 8 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Larry
Me
Mooty
NJ
RSA
Bob R
Frayed
AW
JG Sr.

I promise, we can not only drive them like we stole them, but we drive them with control. I would go mirror to mirror with Mooty and JG Sr. anytime.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Well, I can count a few more then 2. Heck on here there are 8 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Larry
Me
Mooty
NJ
RSA
Bob R
Frayed
AW
JG Sr.

I promise, we can not only drive them like we stole them, but we drive them with control. I would go mirror to mirror with Mooty and JG Sr. anytime.
Freddy Baker (SCCA)
Llopiz (PCA)
Keith A. (PCA)
Lynn W (PCA)
Ian Stewart (SCCA)
Barry B (PCA)
NobleGT3
930Man (back to the dark side)
mds (times 2)
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 AM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Amen.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Larry
Me
Mooty
NJ
RSA
Bob R
Frayed
AW
JG Sr.
Larry is one of my original 2. Larry is legit fast (2:09s at the Glen in a RSA does not lie). I only know one other on that list, and I think he would agree he is not in Larry league. The others I don't know at all, but if they ain't racing, they ain't that fast.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Freddy Baker (SCCA)
Llopiz (PCA)
Keith A. (PCA)
Lynn W (PCA)
Ian Stewart (SCCA)
Barry B (PCA)
NobleGT3
930Man (back to the dark side)
mds (times 2)
Raf, Keith and Barry are all good...I'll add them to the list. I don't know any of the SCCA guys, but if they are only "racing" in parking lots, then they don't even count.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:36 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, I still do not see the point here. You cannot have a GT3 unless you pass the 'go fast test'? I guess there will be a lot of 997 GT3 sitting on the lots until the buyers pass the test (could take years).

What is wrong with appreciating the car's capabilities and trying to master it? Maybe a driver will never get to that level but is having fun trying (in a safe manner I hope).

None of you want to fight about modifiying your cars when you haven't mastered what you have? Course not, because modifying has its own rewards.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I think that I am fairly fast in my 996 GT3 (2:06's at VIR Full), but I don't feel that the sunroof in my new 997 GT3 (if there is no delete option) will have a significant enough effect to make me slower. I think I will probably feel it to some degree, but not enough to matter. I DO NOT want a sunroof - beleive me! I am short so that is not really a problem for me as far as helmet clearance goes. Nevertheless, I am unhappy about the sunroof!

Quick Reply: Sunroof on a track day car = Danger