Sponsored by:

Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arms

Last week I had installed on my GT3 a set of adjustable rear toe control arms that I'd purchased from Tarett Engineering on a recommendation at this site. My mechanic advised that they were much the same as the Porsche Motorsport ones, but with a thicker adjuster than the Factory ones, and much less expensive. Each has a mono ball on the end, compared to the rubber insulated bushing of the stock one. This results in less toe change under load and more feedback from the rear. I tested them at Mosport yesterday and can report that they're GREAT! As I recall, the price is $450 for the pair. The name of the principal at Tarett is Ira, and he's a delight to deal with. This link shpould take you to the website:
http://www.tarett.com/Browse_Item_De...ontrol_Arm_(pr)

Richard Bain
Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like these guys are about $100 cheaper than the Cup links. Any real advantage to them aside from price? The Cup units don't have any issues that I know of.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

They do not use the OE eccentric as the cup ones do, thus will not change position.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by RayGT3
They do not use the OE eccentric as the cup ones do, thus will not change position.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put mine on the car and have to take some pics that Ira requested. I hope they do the trick as I have had a lot of alignment issues lately.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 AM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Looks like these guys are about $100 cheaper than the Cup links. Any real advantage to them aside from price? The Cup units don't have any issues that I know of.
I've got the Porsche cup links installed on my gt3. They keep the factory eccentrics but you don't need to use them. They were very hard to get installed. The initial install was done by an experienced Pmechanic(with GT3) and they took several hours to get them installed and the alignment right because they had to keep taking them out and re-installing them as they did the alignment. They did not really explain why. But they have used other gt3 rear toe-links from Racers Group which were much easier to install and adjust. Then I had the alignment changed by my regular Pcar mechanic with cup car experience and they had to do the same thing (re-install several times). They explained that the threaded part only has enough thread to be a fine toe adjustment if you just change toe. But if you change camber (I reduced camber from 2.5 to 2.0) then the toe changed so much that they had to re-install to re-index into the fine-adjustment range. This seams to defeat one of the main reasons for installing them: adjustment without using factory eccentrics. It's much easier to adjust rear toe with the factory links, but they do not stay in adjustment as well as the solid links. When I contacted Austin at Devek for help (bought from them), they did not bother to answer. Again very disappointing. If I had to do it again, I would not buy the Porsche cup car links. Instead I would buy the Racers Group links.

But after this pain-in-the *** adjustment, they did perform much better than the factory links. The rear moves very little on accel/decel on the street and very definitely at high track speeds. The car does not dance when going 150 before the brake zone on the fast straights at Road America. It was very spooky as to how much the rear slewed from side to side (especially when it was windy) with the factory links. There is no reason to keep the factory toe links. Just get the right kind.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayGT3
That's another plus vs. the cup links (continue to use OE eccentrics).
Old 06-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I've also got the Tarett rear toe arms (thanks Ira!) and have been very happy with them.

I had the dealer install them and talked to the tech about it afterwards. Very straightforward install, if I recall correctly they charged me an hour to do both. The only thing he griped about was the adjustment thread being course, not fine, and therefore the setting shifted a little when he tightened it up so he had to do it more than once to get it right.

I can't say that I feel any difference when driving, but it's clearly holding the setting better than the stock part (i.e. no alignment needed after every few track days) and that's what I was looking for.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Richard,

Any installation issues as reported by others?

Ciao,
Old 06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got my GT3 Cup Toe links, Tarret was still working on these.

GT3 Cup links are around $500 a piece, close to $1,000 a pair for the 2006 version. The Tarret Toe links are much stronger, the old Motorsport version bends under load.

In addition to the link itself, Tarret made a wonderful solution to eliminate to toe eccentric bolt. I eliminated the problem by installing new eccentric bolts and locking them on the full-inside position, we marked them and they haven't moved.

There is one advantage on the Cup links, not in the Tarret product. The Cup allows to use spacer rings below the conical joint into the wheel carrier. These rings allow a reduction of bump steer, depending on desired ride height.

By the way, these days I just realign the car to try different specs, and not every 3-4 weeks to fix a handful car.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:57 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Installed these myself working on the garage floor, about 45 min ea., pretty straight forward, no suprises. No complaints from the mech. doing the alignment, he thought it was easier than the OE links.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Johannes:

There were no installation issues.

Richard

Quick Reply: Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arms