Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predictions: 996 GT3 value in 1-2 years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really a hopeless argument...the 997 GT3 is the superior car even though there are things that many of us may not prefer to our 996 GT3(I don't like the interior, sunroof, PASM and stupid markers below the headlight) and thus will bring the values down as any new model would. I for one like to buy cars a couple of years old to save the initial depreciation hit and new when I bought this GT3 that it was about 12-18 months too soon as there is more dropping left in the prices. But as it is such a fantastic car, I don't mind losing the money and having fun with it which beats sitting on the sidelines. I will probably replace it with a 997 GT3 RS when they hit the used market and hope that the styling issues grow on me and that the PASM can be retuned.

The 993 series, RS America, etc are unusual cases and sadly, there is nothing too unusual about the 996 GT3. It is an awesome car that is, along with the GT2, FAR more desireable than the bulk of the 996 variants which should keep it from getting slaughtered but is still going down in value, not up!

Cars are expensive....it is all about smiles per mile!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,851 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Maybe you're thinking too much?

Do what I do (when it coes to purchases like this), leave your brain home and go with the heart only, has worked for me through the years.
Pretty much 100% of my car purchases have been "stupid cars" (black & white chequered flag paint scheme VW Beetlles, 911s, lifted 4x4s back in Finland etc.) and I love that kind of philosophy.
To me , car is not a vechile that takes me from point A to point B, it's something I enjoy so I don't give a **** if I pay $3000 too much for a car I want (i.e. 996 GT3) or if it loses it's value $3000 more than it was supposed to.
right on. let the heart speak.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 213 Posts

As fare as Flying Finn's from point A-B I disagree My problem is the 997 will be going A to Z like my wife-I have to hear the whole story. But I agree one thing with Finn-go with your heart-it always never go wrong. Mike
Old 06-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
As fare as Flying Finn's from point A-B I disagree My problem is the 997 will be going A to Z like my wife-I have to hear the whole story. But I agree one thing with Finn-go with your heart-it always never go wrong. Mike

?????
Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
?????
x2
Old 06-24-2006, 11:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

mike are you drunk? what are you saying? or trying to say?
Old 06-24-2006, 12:31 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
How do you explain the values of 993's turbo's and coupes vs the 996's. It is not just the production numbers that is bringing the price down.
That is a HUGE factor. FYI, less than 900 996 GT3's were made for the US. The 996 GT3 will hold their value way better than any other 996.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I think what Mike is trying to say is that even if you are okay with your decision, your S.O. may not let your forget about how much it cost, etc.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:14 AM
yongster
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny 996
I cant speak for the US - but up here in Canada a GT3 sighting is as rare as a bigfoot sighting!! .
I drive mine down Avenue Rd. everyday. But in the last 3 years, I've seen only 4 other GT3's on the roads, and 1 fake black "GT3". You see a lot more at the DE events.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the arguments about the 997 GT3s option list, but from what I can tell this car is still superior to the 996 GT3. I seriously doubt that many of us can drive this car to its fullest potential and the ones that can, will be besting the times of the 996 owners anyway. The numbers on the track show that the engineering is an improvement over the previous models and for the mixed use of this car the electronics will make it more enjoyable. I can’t wait and if I have to live with a sunroof so be it. Honestly I will never have a car without navigation and if I am worried about the weight savings I’ll lose weight.

jv

Sorry this may not be the best response for this post.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Johnny 996
Track Day

Originally Posted by LVDell
Unless of course in the span of 2 years they have 5 owners, been through 3 auctions, and have frame and unibody damage
I think your out of line with that comment - whats it to you anyway ?? I had the vehicle thoroughly checked out and there is no frame or unibody damage ?? besides I bought the car to convert it into a track car - it will never drive the streets again - so i took the opportunity to save around 15K - I dont know why that would bother you so much to make such a comment. Very juvenile !!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you that insecure that you can't take the comment. You bought a car that has been around the block more than a cheap ***** and want to convert it to a track car when it has documented frame and unibody damage. Personaly, I would never buy a car with that type of history. But to each his own. My comment was NOT out of line and matter of fact was spot on. The reason your price was so frickin low was that very reason I stated. Grow a thicker skin or you will become offended all the time around here.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

johnny996, i am sure your car is fine especially you have had it chk'd out and good luck to you on the track car project. i think Dell is just sort of "looking out" for all the ppl who are trying to buy a GT3. it's not easy finding an used car that fits a particular person's need. if one wants a garage queen or weekend keeper, obviously your car will not be the top choice, but for your use, i think the choice is great.

next thing about 997gt3 being a superior car. i think MOST ppl here agree with that, that 997gt3 is a superior car than 996gt3 (may not be by much, some would argue, but better nevertheless). i think the idea here is not that the newer car is not as good, but the philosophical softening of the moniker "GT3". but then again, we each like what we like, if they want they can buy 997GT3 or 996GT3 or both... let's all have fun and go driving.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Nice cop out. Most come up with crap like "you need the last word" or "I'll be waiting for your wonderful response" or "the board thinks your an ***" or "you have parental issues" or "etc, etc, etc"

Truth is you have got to really have a serious insecurity problem to come up with the responses you do like "I can afford to make a 69K mistake". Guess what? Nobody can. $69K is $69K. And if you really could (maybe if you were Mark Cuban and didn't care) then why would you risk a $69K mistake when you could have removed the risk of that carfax report and purchased a clean one for 10K more?

And telling me I don't have a life or to get a job or whatever else comment you came up with you really must not know me. The majority of my posts are intended to help others with questions or to chime in from an experience that would help the poster.

And trying to put somebody down by telling them their "dream of ownership won't come true" couldn't be further from the truth. It's called responsibility. Go read through my posts and you will know that "summer" means August since I am finishing building a house right now and (1) want to close on it first ....and....(2) want to find the perfect one for me ....and.... (3) would like a place to store when I buy it. So please, save you condescension for another.

My crack to you was nothing more than that. A wisecrack about a car that we talked about here ad nauseum fearful that the buyer wouldn't know and it was me that suggested somebody contact you to warn you about the car before the auction went through. Like I said, grow some skin, read my posts and you will understand I actually somebody you would want to have a beer with and somebody that will have your back. But, I am also a wisecracker.

Hopefully you can understand that and just not take stuff so frickin personal especialy when you do NOT know me.

Enjoy you car (and I mean that). It's all good, eh.

**JUST NOTICED JOHNNY 996 WAS BANNED SO THIS POST DOESN"T MAKES SENSE SINCE I DIDN'T QUOTE HIS POST THIS REFERRED TO BUT SEE JOHN D's POST ON THE NEXT PAGE FOR AN EXPLANATION**

Last edited by LVDell; 06-25-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Johnny 996
I guess since I love this board, we will get to know each other - take it a little easier on me - I guess I'm the sensitive kind - LOL.
Sounds good to me. I don't harbor grudges anyway so I say.....what tiff?

See you around

Quick Reply: Predictions: 996 GT3 value in 1-2 years?