998 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
It would be cool if Porsche took the honor of being the first manufacturer with pneumaticly controlled valves like in the F1 cars. 10.000 rpm anyone?
My bet is Porsche has pneumatically operated sunroof way before they even think about pneumatically controlled valves.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 06-13-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An electro Valve implementation would be difficult at best. A high rpm application would run into problems with physics. You could not use the standard coil/core (selenoid) set up, it takes time, re:time constant RL, for the field to build and then you have a bunch of energy to deal with on deenergizing (think ignition coil).

There are materials that actually bend when a current is directly applied, I'm thinking something like this might be suited to an application like this.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayGT3
An electro Valve implementation would be difficult at best. A high rpm application would run into problems with physics. You could not use the standard coil/core (selenoid) set up, it takes time, re:time constant RL, for the field to build and then you have a bunch of energy to deal with on deenergizing (think ignition coil).

There are materials that actually bend when a current is directly applied, I'm thinking something like this might be suited to an application like this.
Well, I respect your approach but I would disagree. I deal in devices that are elecromagnetically controlled that cycle, with relatively large excursions at 200 cps, that's roughly 24,000 RPM so I think that the materials and electronics are there, it's a matter of cost and reliability in that hostile an environment.

Piezo electrics are an interesing approach as well. Not sure they could do, say 100 cps, in current form with that much energy however. Are you familiar with such a system?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
Well, I respect your approach but I would disagree. I deal in devices that are elecromagnetically controlled that cycle, with relatively large excursions at 200 cps, that's roughly 24,000 RPM so I think that the materials and electronics are there, it's a matter of cost and reliability in that hostile an environment.

Piezo electrics are an interesing approach as well. Not sure they could do, say 100 cps, in current form with that much energy however. Are you familiar with such a system?
Not sure what the source of the parts was but as I said in an earlier post, I have seen this on an Audi tace head and it worked great. I just wouldn't think it would be something ready for a street car though. FUnny thing is that this was over 10 yeards ago and I haven't seen another like it since....hmmm.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

allegretto,
The real trick would be to get a car engine to run at 24 k rpm for any length of time. Getting around intake velocities in the sonic range is problematic. Any attempt to operate in those ranges also adds cavatation to deal with, this would distroy any currently available materials in a short time. It appears that F1 has reached a wall at about 20 k rpm. depending on displacement size. Valve mechanics really aren't an issue, it's the ability to get the fluid into the cylinder and not destroy the motor in the process.

Quick Reply: 998 GT3?