Sponsored by:

Quit bitching about the sunroof!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM
f1realtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
You do, you don't have to buy it; and a Cup Car might be a better fit anyway if the sunroof is of critical importance!
I won't buy it with a sunroof and I'll wait to see if they expand the color choices for the RS because I don't like any of 4 color choices. If the RS is brought over for only one year then I'll just pick something else. If Ruf comes out with a RGT-RS based on the 997 then that's probably what I will purchase.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know that a survey would do much good. About 1000 customers, over 2 years, bought a GT3 and as AW pointed out many turned them over. Presumably because it wasn't the right car for them.

So what is the real number of "hardcore" new GT3 customers out there, 100, 200, 300?.

They (the opinions that matter) are not enough to really count for much clout, unfortunately. Could they be satisfied, or happier, with something else like an RS or a cup car, while Porsche tries (?) to satify the segment that "turned over" the GT3 with a more streetable car.

When the RSA was introduced, it had a sunroof delete option, yet most were equipped with a sunroof, and even then the Dealers had trouble moving them.

I think the whole sunroof issue is a red herring, and if I was good enough where it really mattered and truly interfered with my activities, I'd want a Cup Car, and a tow vehicle.

Yes, if I could order the GT3 without the sunroof I'd do it, but the more I think about it the less it bothers me, because there will be other advantages to it (I hope).

Time will tell, and I'll worry about it if the cars disappoints (and sell it), but I won't presume.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Exactly. I suggested something like this little while ago.

Or do one of those internet (or e-mail) petitions that we can all sign up. I'm sure we can get 500-1000 names on a list who all say they don't want sunroof.

That might get them thinking straight.
alright, super finn!
so where are you on getting this done?
jeff
Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

I can understand the bitching from customers in the US, just look at the US version 996 GT3 with only reclining seats available. The US market also didn't get the 996 GT3 RS and the 997 GT3 with sunroof, no Clubsport package and again reclining seats, it is sad that only "Barbie" versions are sent across the atlantic and now the 997 RS without the lexan windows is just wrong.

Looking at it historically, it is strange as the 356 Spider was a stripped version of the 356 Cab, targeted at the US market and we all know what happened. The 73 RS was again sold states side. If I remember correctly, the US market never got the 911 Clubsport. The 964 RS America was an RS badged Carrera and nothing close to the Euro 964 RS. The 993 RS never mad it across the pond.

PCNA, give the boys in the US some hardcore for once!

Ciao,
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,791 Likes on 2,373 Posts

73 RS was never sold officially throught usa porsche dealer net work, AFAIK.

we did have a FEW 911 (3.6L) clubsport. i think less than 30 car?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
73 RS was never sold officially throught usa porsche dealer net work, AFAIK.

we did have a FEW 911 (3.6L) clubsport. i think less than 30 car?

Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,791 Likes on 2,373 Posts

fong, when are you delivering the 993RS to my garage?
the GT3 needs a buddy.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
fong, when are you delivering the 993RS to my garage?
the GT3 needs a buddy.

If you employ me, I can use my non resident status to bring it for a visit, 1 year
Old 06-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sunroof issue is just emblematic of the whole softening of the 911. I think that is why it is touching some nerves.

I would rather delete it, but it would not stop me from buying the GT3. I can ignore it by not lookup up

I am more concerned by Porsche's current love of PASM, which really DOES threaten to undo the visceral ride quality we love in the 996 GT3. Porsche is late to the "active suspension" game, but now having discovered what they can play with, they are excited to put it on EVERYTHING.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

funny, that's what all the "purists" said when they got rid of the throttle and clutch cable.

Last edited by Oak; 06-12-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

As consumers we want choice. After all, if Porsche can give us the option of a leather covered dome light, can we please have the option of a sunroof/sunroof delete?

Then again, I don't know what would be more annoying, having to accept the 997 GT3 with a sunroof or if Porsche were to offer a sunroof delete and then charge an exorbitant amount for the privilege!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oak
funny, that's what all the "purists" said when they got rid of the throttle and clutch cable.
Oak, with respect, the throttle by wire issue isn't even in the same league. Besides, those systems were supposed to emulate 100% the function of the hardware they replaced.

In contrast, the whole purpose of PASM is to intervene between the seat of your pants and the feel of the road. We have examples of PASM today you can test. Does it make the ride smoother? Yes. Is it disconnecting me from the road? Yes. Do Porsche competition track cars have it? No. Is the PASM 997S faster around a circuit than the 997S with conventional sport suspsension? No. How do I know the GT3 version of PASM will soften the ride? A: why else would they add it? (to appeal to more buyers.)

I can't speak for everyone else, but I like the ride quality of my 996 GT3 (excepting for some handling issues caused by the non-RS suspension). I don't see a need, nor want an electronic system messing with one of the intrinsic qualities of the GT3.

Apologies for
Old 06-12-2006, 04:22 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

The strange thing is, the stiffer suspension/ride of the 996GT3 actually works to slow you down on the street - which is a good thing. Adding PASM will only allow the average driver to escalate their speed on the street even more. Good thing there's TC, ABD, ASR, MSR and an escape hatch should one get over his head.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray G
Oak, with respect, the throttle by wire issue isn't even in the same league. Besides, those systems were supposed to emulate 100% the function of the hardware they replaced.

In contrast, the whole purpose of PASM is to intervene between the seat of your pants and the feel of the road. We have examples of PASM today you can test. Does it make the ride smoother? Yes. Is it disconnecting me from the road? Yes. Do Porsche competition track cars have it? No. Is the PASM 997S faster around a circuit than the 997S with conventional sport suspsension? No. How do I know the GT3 version of PASM will soften the ride? A: why else would they add it? (to appeal to more buyers.)

I can't speak for everyone else, but I like the ride quality of my 996 GT3 (excepting for some handling issues caused by the non-RS suspension). I don't see a need, nor want an electronic system messing with one of the intrinsic qualities of the GT3.

Apologies for
Well put!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
You do, you don't have to buy it; and a Cup Car might be a better fit anyway if the sunroof is of critical importance!
You do too, you don't have to buy it either (if it doesn't have a sunroof); and a Cadillac might be better fit anyway if the sunroof is of critical importance!

Quick Reply: Quit bitching about the sunroof!