Sponsored by:

Quit bitching about the sunroof!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:12 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
they are dealing with different government regulations.
As has already been pointed out, those regulations haven't stopped Audi from offering a "sunroof delete" option on its low production RS4 in the United States.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm,

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose you are right. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe that the crash test issue is some damage control to justify some decision which is mostly to satisfy US porsche dealers. Here is my theory:

In the US, many enthusiasts purchased 996 GT3 and then trade it in 6 months later, mostly because they buy cars very often. This created a situation where dealers had many used 996 GT3 in stock and the lack of sunroof made it a difficult sale to the general public. I suspect they don't want to recreate that problem, and prefer to alienate some of the purists but have a product which is easier to resale. I understand they are trying to please dealers but in theory, they should please the customers first.

It is my own belief that this decision combined with other mistake that occurs in the last few years demonstrates a certain lack of care for car enthusiasts. This pushes me toward other brands such as Aston Martin, Ferrari and BMW.

AW
Old 06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

How low is low production for the Audi RS4?.

1000 cars total, or

1000 cars for 3 years

Incidentally, there was no sunroof delete option when I ordered mine!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:49 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

AW,

You will be sorely disappointed the AM8, all blow and no go, sounds great, looks great but doesn't deliver (I drove it for over an hour) the performance is mediocre, and If I'm disappointed then I can only imagine yours.

I think you have a good point about the Dealers, and the RS is going to be the practical (and improvement) replacement for the 996 GT3, and if Porsche is smart they will limit the production severely and avoid the 996 GT3 issue. With the lessons learned they should end up in the right hands, but unfortunately if the production is expected to be truly limited then every one will want one, and we're back at square one. I'm expecting Porsche to do the right thing here.

The Dealers in their allocation process could screw it up though. Who decides who gets a car, Porsche or the Dealer?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I ordered my wife's Mercedes "sunroof delete" no problem at all...other than to get the dealer to do it , which they were initially reluctant to do.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be interesting to see what you guys get for the RS. Was at a talk a Porsche GB on Sat, and the uk cars don't even come with climate, although apparently you can ask for airconditioning as a no cost option. Does the climate control circuit weight that much? Anyway we were told it was going to be more hardcore than the 996 RS.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:17 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by DanH
Be interesting to see what you guys get for the RS. Was at a talk a Porsche GB on Sat, and the uk cars don't even come with climate, although apparently you can ask for airconditioning as a no cost option. Does the climate control circuit weight that much? Anyway we were told it was going to be more hardcore than the 996 RS.
The wide body 997's are also not certified for no sunroof sale in the U.S.

Looks like we'll get the 'merican only sunroofed RS, mwahahahaha.

With all the Coxsters, Caveman, VW trucks, wet sump 911's, you would think that they can leave the GT2/3's alone in the U.S.

I guess a GT3 badge looks more pimping crusing down the boulevard than a regular ole 911.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:38 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
I understand they are trying to please dealers but in theory, they should please the customers first.
this is a flaw in your theory.
sure porsche listens to their dealers as they are their partners in business and their public face.
but there is no way they put the dealers concerns over the consumers!
maybe we should try to get somebody at pcna or pag to post their reasoning as to why they decided not to offer the sunroof delete?
i'm sure they are not doing it on purpose to irritate the "purists".
there might have been some obstacle they could not over come.
maybe they felt they have to go in this direction to survive in business?
maybe it is because they are moving the "rs" into what used to be the standard model?
they DO have a reason, and it's not to irritate the "purists"!

jeff
Old 06-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
maybe we should try to get somebody at pcna or pag to post their reasoning as to why they decided not to offer the sunroof delete?
jeff
Exactly, we are really in the dark and speculating without a statment from PCNA.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 627 Posts

Cant anyone anywhere link these threads to someone at PCNA??
Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

colm (and othr who agree with him),

You could not be more wrong.

The big thing (and good reason for complaining) is th efact that it's a mandatory thing.

Besides, if this is "nothing", what's next? Rear seats? Video screens for rear passengers? xbox? How about little coolers armrest? Illy Espresso machine armrest? Leg massage for passeneger foot area? I could make a very long list with as ridiculous things as sunroof in a car such as GT3.

None of those things would not make more weight than sunroof does and with your principle, would be more conviniet to someone.

People like me are bitching for a reason so quit bitching about bitching.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Cant anyone anywhere link these threads to someone at PCNA??
Exactly. I suggested something like this little while ago.

Or do one of those internet (or e-mail) petitions that we can all sign up. I'm sure we can get 500-1000 names on a list who all say they don't want sunroof.

That might get them thinking straight.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
f1realtor
Intermediate

For 106 thousand plus bucks we should have a CHOICE!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You do, you don't have to buy it; and a Cup Car might be a better fit anyway if the sunroof is of critical importance!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

How about a simple survey just asking who thinks "PCNA sucks"

Quick Reply: Quit bitching about the sunroof!