Quit bitching about the sunroof!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:43 AM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
I think you all are over reacting.
Is it really over reacting when the reality is that the decreased headroom from the sunroof prevents me from driving the car comfortably with a helmet on?

The GT3 is a car that is meant to be used at the track. Track driving means wearing a helmet. For Porsche to REDUCE HEADROOM/HELMETROOM on a car used by track enthusiasts simply so some overweight pimp can tan the balding spots on his head IS RETARDED. But hey, maybe Porsche should come out with a GT3 convertible too, since it would make the car acceptable to a wider customer demographic?

Even that luxo barge the BMW M6 dosen't have a silly "stuck in traffic" sunroof.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

XSpeedFreakX

The seat in the 997 can be adjusted up and down unlike the 996(iirc), so there is room for the helmet. There are always exceptions but I don't ever remember seeing a 7 ft tall person driving a Porsche.

People (of all shapes and sizes, long bodied and long legged) wear helmets at the PDE and I have never read or heard about anyone not fitting in the car.

Now maybe you're that exception; or maybe the pros at PDE can show you a driving position that works well.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 AM
healeyg
Instructor

word
Old 06-11-2006, 09:25 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

a real sports car has a dry sump and NO SUNROOF!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David A
a real sports car has a dry sump and NO SUNROOF!!!
A lot of people might agree with you, and call it a convertible!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
but they still make the best bang for the buck supercars/sports cars. JCM
Ah, I hate to disagree, but I believe Chevy has that title. IMHO nothing can beat that new Z06 for 70k.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people might agree with you, and call it a convertible!
Nah, that is called a roadster and is a different beast altogether and not suited to the GT3 platform! Can someone say C GT?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

supercup, you are rigth, let's just enjoy what we got now, put lots of miles on it and wait for GT3. i have a PDF copy of USA prelim ordering guide, if anyone want it, pm me with email. in my experieince with porsche prelim guides, it's 99.9% accurate vs the final ordering guides. the only change (in the past) is adding prices to the prelim guide (no price indication).

futhermore, i think all the bitchen around is about the perceived image shift of GT3 rather than it really being soft. i am sure the 997gt3 will be better than my beloved 996gt3, but the fact that it has sun room, even PCM and get this PHONE as an option creates a "softer image". the wt added by roof, pcm and phone is not going to be perceivable by a hack driver like me, but the fact that these things are even availabe bothers some ppl i think.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The seat in the 997 can be adjusted up and down unlike the 996(iirc), so there is room for the helmet.
I'm 6'5". With the seat down in my Carrera S I still have to recline further than I want to for my melon to clear the headliner. I would prefer lower seats or the lack of a sunroof but, alas, it was not an option.

I'm thinking about a more dedicated track car . . . used 996 GT3 with proper seats and then I'll still enjoy my 997 on the street.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
supercup, you are rigth, let's just enjoy what we got now, put lots of miles on it and wait for GT3. i have a PDF copy of USA prelim ordering guide, if anyone want it, pm me with email. in my experieince with porsche prelim guides, it's 99.9% accurate vs the final ordering guides. the only change (in the past) is adding prices to the prelim guide (no price indication).

futhermore, i think all the bitchen around is about the perceived image shift of GT3 rather than it really being soft. i am sure the 997gt3 will be better than my beloved 996gt3, but the fact that it has sun room, even PCM and get this PHONE as an option creates a "softer image". the wt added by roof, pcm and phone is not going to be perceivable by a hack driver like me, but the fact that these things are even availabe bothers some ppl i think.
You know, the 997 Carrera prelim guide showed the sunroof delete option ... : )

Last edited by Carrera GT; 06-14-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you all are over reacting.
Hey Colm. Well, I think if you read the full text of posts on the many and numerous threads complaining about the "mandatory option" sunroof (and look at the text of poll options) there's more to it than just whining.
The GT3 RS will not have the sunroof (imo), since it is a wide body, and subjected to different testing. If you are a true track guy, wringing the last ounce of performance out the car, then you don't want a sunroof, and you want the ceramics for the weight advantage. You can't have it both ways.

Performance at the margin is very expensive, so the weight reduction of the ceramics costs, quit bitching.
Neither the GT3 nor the RS are wringing the last ounce of anything other than perhaps my wallet ... : ) ... but again, characterising the posts about the sunroof or the cost of PCCBs as "bitching" is nonsense. And if PCNA delivers the RS as a street car sans sunroof, that would not be consistent with the current explanation of why the GT3 might arrive with a sunroof.
Porsche has given us a superior GT3 useful as a daily driver (and a true "sports" car that undoes the compromises in the regular car), and a superior track car in the RS, driveable to and from the track..short of a Cup Car (which is designed for the wannabe (and real) professional).
Well, here we finall agree on something!

<snip>
I'll be happy if the they only make 500 RS cars .
I'll be overjoyed if they make just one 997 without a sunroof and honor me with the privilege of buying it ... : )
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You know, the 997 prelim guide should the sunroof delete option ... : )
the prelim guide DOESN'T have the sunroof delete option. i just read it again, that's the 8th time i combed through it. are you talking about the nomral 997 guide or the 997gt3 prelim guide?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:27 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Carrera GT].....Neither the GT3 nor the RS are wringing the last ounce of anything other than perhaps my wallet ... [Quote]

You misunderstand, I was talking about the Driver(s) wringing the last ounce out of the car.

Would it help if you didn't take the "bitching" so literally, and put it in the context of all the available choices and capabilities? There is no one right answer, and a 997 GT3 w/o a sunroof is still lacking..in comparison to Cup Car, so where does it end?

You can have a 997 without the sunroof, you just can't have it in North America. But then moving is always an option, if you are truly passionate and dedicated, nothing should come in the way. No compromises and no substitutes.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Would it help if you didn't take the "bitching" so literally, and put it in the context of all the available choices and capabilities? There is no one right answer, and a 997 GT3 w/o a sunroof is still lacking..in comparison to Cup Car, so where does it end?

You can have a 997 without the sunroof, you just can't have it in North America. But then moving is always an option, if you are truly passionate and dedicated, nothing should come in the way. No compromises and no substitutes.
The problem as I see it is that the North American customer does not get the choices to make the compromises as they see fit, PCNA forces it on us....I feel the customer should be able to tailor the car to their individual dreams as much as possible, at least to the extent other markets have to make choices
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The problem as I see it is that the North American customer does not get the choices to make the compromises as they see fit, PCNA forces it on us....I feel the customer should be able to tailor the car to their individual dreams as much as possible, at least to the extent other markets have to make choices
they are dealing with different government regulations.

Quick Reply: Quit bitching about the sunroof!