Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quit bitching about the sunroof!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Do you think 996's will start to hold steady in value? I think so. Especially if more and more get sold to purist that will not relinquish them and they become more and more scarce.
This thread is is starting to quell my lust for a 997GT3. What I really want is a fast, tight, simple 911 which is what I've got. I'm lucky to have a wicked track car so I don't really care about that aspect of the GT3. I just like driving the GT3 with the windows down. In most of the 911's I've had the A/C sucked anyways so I guess I never got used to using it. The sunroof isn't a deal breaker but it's not a plus either.

I've got the got the itch for a new Pcar but the wait on the 997GT3 is starting to turn me off. It will be Summer of '07 before I would drive it any. My itch needs to be scratched sooner than that. I may have to pick up a GT2 while there are good ones out there. Fast and fairly rare.

I think the values will get pretty steady on the GT3's. They are stiff and have all of the good parts. None of that has been improved on much with the 997GT3.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

i bitch about the sunroof, cars getting heavier, more luxo barge blah blah, but i do understand porsches position. there are more "normal" buyers than us "freaking car nuts". so as a business, when push comes to shove, we get short shifted.

BUT, at least for now, the very crazy few can still opt for a factory race car (ala cup car). you can't do that with other manufacture (well, mz3c is out as a race car and viper comp coupe). but still very lmited choices.

as much as i regret it, if one wants a "pure" sports car, porsche is no longer the only choice....

now if lotus would just stop making so many different versions of the same car and put 50 more hp in it ;-)
Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, I may have gotten too comfortable but I like my GT3 with AC and power windows. If I have to I can live with a sun roof. when you want a car with near race car performance there are few choices as mooty pointed out. A cup car means a truck and trailer. been there done that, nevermore. An Elise is fun but doesn't really compare to a GT3 on the track. It is fun but hasn't got the oomph. It is also grossly impractical. Getting in and out of the thing is a sport in itself. You put it on as opposed to getting in.

regards,
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

noble M400 455 HP 455lb, 1022kg
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
An Elise ... Getting in and out of the thing is a sport in itself. You put it on as opposed to getting in.

regards,
hey, that's my only time for "work out" now days.
suck the guts in, bend at the waist, hear my bones crack.... stuff my butt on the seat and pull my unbendable legs in with my hands. then exhale, let the blood pressure drop from my head so my face is not flushed red... now drive.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

What bothers me is that technological advancements are not finding themsevles into P cars quick enough, ie PDK, and direct injection.

So far there doesn't seem to be enough value in the new GT3 to justify upgrading from the 996 - and I am starting to realize that current GT3 owners are not what Porsche is trying to attract with this new car.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I may have gotten too comfortable but I like my GT3 with AC and power windows.
Ordering a Porsche without AC was the biggest mistake I ever made.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 GT3 and I'm keeping it for several years. It is the last of the unadulterated Porsches, at least in my mind. Those of you jumping into the 997 GT3 will be shocked when Porsche comes out with the 3.8 490 HP version in a couple of years (if not sooner) Porsche could make a "world class" GT? if they wanted to, but incremental selling and increased market share is their main goal. They don't care if some fanatics are offended by the sunroof, the cars will sell anyway. Probably a GT3 cab isn't out of the realm of reality. I have owned 8 P cars. Maybe it IS time to look around.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I have an 05 GT3 and I'm keeping it for several years. It is the last of the unadulterated Porsches, at least in my mind. Those of you jumping into the 997 GT3 will be shocked when Porsche comes out with the 3.8 490 HP version in a couple of years.
This resonates with me. I think that I may go through the hassle, wait and expense of a 997GT3 only to have a tougher car announced about the time I can actually drive the GT3. I'm not a paddle fan in general (it works on the track though) but a larger displacement motor and DSC can't be that far off.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:10 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

OK I get it! But I want a cutting edge car that can pretend it’s a touring car; and I use that term very loosely, as well as a car that can see a few track days and talk to me through the seat of my pants. I’m only moving from my 993 to a 997 GT3 because of the technology and that means navigation, sport chrono, PASM, and a much better motor. My days of being Ricky Racer are over and now it’s just for me! I can live with the sun roof but if you remove the AC that would end it. Sorry I’m not the best of purists.

jv
Old 06-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
hey, that's my only time for "work out" now days.
suck the guts in, bend at the waist, hear my bones crack.... stuff my butt on the seat and pull my unbendable legs in with my hands. then exhale, let the blood pressure drop from my head so my face is not flushed red... now drive.
Yeah, I refer to that as my version of Yoga!

My fall-back pure track car:
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2006, 10:29 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ray... will you be take the track tuesday? hope to see you there.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray G
Yeah, I refer to that as my version of Yoga!

My fall-back pure track car:
ray, you have a sick exige. i saw aspen white in person last month at thunderhill, very subtle metallic. beautiful.... not that your CGT isn't sick looking
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Probably a GT3 cab isn't out of the realm of reality. I have owned 8 P cars. Maybe it IS time to look around.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Probably a GT3 cab isn't out of the realm of reality. I have owned 8 P cars. Maybe it IS time to look around.

Porsche knows it's a track car...so it'll be a GT3 Targa.

Quick Reply: Quit bitching about the sunroof!