Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006 | 09:13 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Default Modifications

I know this has been beat to death, but here it goes. I would like to get the forums comments on a header, muffler, remap and air filter modification. Does it really add 30 horsepower and 25 lb/ft of torque. I remember putting a set of vance & hines exhaust, a remap and they completely removed the air intake port on my Harley Davidson Fatboy and felt a major difference in performance. I guess this is the same concept on the modification I'm considering on my car. Any information or comments would really be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006 | 09:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

No
Old 06-06-2006 | 09:37 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

15 hp max
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:15 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

9Elevin,

As noted above 10 - 15 hp. Exhaust will allow the car to rev quicker, but provide substantial power gains. You could get more power if you go with a Manthey kit, which is more involved (expensive) but will generate 410 hp +.

Your best alternative (and a much better value than exhaust) would be to go with a GT3 RS lightweight flywheel and change 3rd - 6th gears. It will cost you about the same as a chip and a Europipe exhaust (figure $6,000 for both) and will provide real performance gain. Europipe will provide less back pressure and a 11 hp gain, quicker rev's and better sound, but will cost you about $4,500.

The downside is you will have some tranmission noise with the change in flywheel and gears. That is only an issue when you are sitting at idle and if you push in the clutch the noise goes away. Key here is to pick gears that work for you. Most likely you will end up with a top speed of 165 mph and a lot of additional performance above 2nd gear. All the parts are available from Porsche, so it should have no downside on the value of your car.

I would guess you can find someone in your area who has done this and you can go for a ride and see for yourself before you spend the $. End of the day you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with your quest for more!

JCM
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I remain very skeptical about horsepower gains from and exhaust system. The Supercup GT3 has nine HP more than our cars and it runs race cats and straight through exhaust and factory tuned ECU. How someone gets 15 HP with a more restricted exhaust is a puzzle.

I agree that a LW flywheel and gear swaps are the better route.
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:28 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by supercup
9Elevin,

As noted above 10 - 15 hp. Exhaust will allow the car to rev quicker, but provide substantial power gains. You could get more power if you go with a Manthey kit, which is more involved (expensive) but will generate 410 hp +.

Your best alternative (and a much better value than exhaust) would be to go with a GT3 RS lightweight flywheel and change 3rd - 6th gears. It will cost you about the same as a chip and a Europipe exhaust (figure $6,000 for both) and will provide real performance gain. Europipe will provide less back pressure and a 11 hp gain, quicker rev's and better sound, but will cost you about $4,500.

The downside is you will have some tranmission noise with the change in flywheel and gears. That is only an issue when you are sitting at idle and if you push in the clutch the noise goes away. Key here is to pick gears that work for you. Most likely you will end up with a top speed of 165 mph and a lot of additional performance above 2nd gear. All the parts are available from Porsche, so it should have no downside on the value of your car.

I would guess you can find someone in your area who has done this and you can go for a ride and see for yourself before you spend the $. End of the day you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with your quest for more!

JCM
Ditto!

However, it is nice to do the exhaust anyway for two reasons. The first is a nice spirited exhaust note. The second is if you can use cat bypass pipes, you remove a major source of heat from inside the rear of the engine bay/bumper. Oh, and you can rid yourself of about 30lbs or more from behind the rear wheels(that is a third reason)!
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:31 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

It seems that the only true way to get additional power is to get the Manthey 440 kit. Are the gains produced by going to a 3.9 litre accurate?
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

it would be chepaer to buy a 997 GT3 with 415 HP no?
Old 06-07-2006 | 09:20 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
it would be chepaer to buy a 997 GT3 with 415 HP no?
Ah, but then you wouldn't have a 996 GT3 and I really like the 996 interior!

That is a nice way of saying that I really don't like the 997 interior.

I can't wait for the 998 GT3!
Old 06-07-2006 | 10:06 AM
boqueron
Pro

Supercup,

"Your best alternative (and a much better value than exhaust) would be to go with a GT3 RS lightweight flywheel and change 3rd - 6th gears.."

Excuse my ignorance, the replacement gears ( 3rd-6th) should be the CUP or RS gears ?

Quick Reply: Modifications