Sponsored by:

GT3 and Lime Rock DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 and Lime Rock DE

Heading to LRP in a few weeks for a DE with the GT3. I just came back from LRP where I completed my Skip Barber Three day racing school... (Best 3 days of my adult life!). Anyways, it will be my first run at LRP in the GT3 (I have done 2 days at NHIS). Anything special I should think about that is track specifiic?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

another sucker...

have fun and welcome to the insane world of track driving ;-)
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes monitor your left front tire as it takes a beating in this oval with one left turn. Don't set the car up too stiff. And most importantly have a blast!!

As I tell all my DE students, if you drive with in your limits you'll have more fun, be a lot safer and will look forward to continuing to improve those limits.

Enjoy!!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW you might want to ask this question in the Racing & DE Forum...
Old 06-01-2006, 06:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First off get yourself a copy of "Lime Rock Park - The Secret Valley of Racing" on DVD. It's a documentary that's incredibly well done. Some track info that's useful. Google for track info, plenty out there.

Bottom line, don't get frustrated when it doesn't come naturally to you. Of all the tracks I've been on this is the one that is perhaps the hardest to learn - or even understand. The track was created by a couple of guys running a dozer around - so you have strange camber, ups and downs that are atypical. Big Bend is easy to take on as a single apex turn, but it's much faster as a two-apex. On the left hander, don't hang out too long before attacking the apex, it goes off-camber there. Entering the uphill - your brain doesn't comprehend the compression that's possible - impossible grip. The uphill - what a rush when the car loses traction by going "airborne". Don't let West Bend psych you out - yes, that's a wall and bridge you'll hit if you make a mistake - early apex is very bad here - run through / over the curbing of the apex to save your skin. Downhill - compression again, no need for much (if any) brakes here, but your brain will make you hit them hard.

Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The dry (and wet ) lines is burned into my brain after the 3 day skip school.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some times the dry line is faster when wet - all depends. Some days when it hasn't rained in a while and it's a light rain, the oils rise to the top and sit there - then it's like driving on ice ;-)
Old 06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

The thing to watch out for the most is once you start to get faster and brake harder on the main straight the ABS will go bonkers because the track is so bumpy. I am still now used to this happening because I did not have this issue with my 996 TT or E46 M3. Lime Rock is a fun and challenging track.

Quick Reply: GT3 and Lime Rock DE