Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you use MP cups for high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why don't you use MP cups for high speed?

In doing the prep work for he Silverstate high speed run one of the key items is obviously tires. The best tire to use for sustained high speed running per the ones who've done it are the factory Michelin Pilot Sports. Evidently, any "R" tire or MP cups don't make the trip. I assume it's because a road course tire takes differant loading all the time in all directions where this is a more one dimension stress. That's a guess anyways. Does anybody know?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long is the silverstate run?
Not sure that you would havbe a problem running MPSC for 1-2 hours - I run then for tank to tank for 500km straight.
What tires do the the regulars run in Silverstate?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastGT3
how long is the silverstate run?
Not sure that you would havbe a problem running MPSC for 1-2 hours - I run then for tank to tank for 500km straight.
What tires do the the regulars run in Silverstate?
it's 90 miles at 140-150MPH. The regulars are emphatic about not using cups or R tires. Load rating?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
it's 90 miles at 140-150MPH. The regulars are emphatic about not using cups or R tires. Load rating?
Unlikely. Probably has more to do with impact strength. Plus I doubt whether the enhanced grip of an R tire can really be utilized on a Highway course. You probably aren't sliding them often enough to build any real temperature, and in that case, they wouldn't be any better than a top performance street tire.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
LastGT3
Racer

The street tires will be more durable - so , if there is no real heat getting into them - a Michelin MPSII would work.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

A very good tyre for high speed running is the Continental Sport Contact 2, with a high load rating. I have used these at Nardo (6 Hours at over 200mph) and for a lot of high speed street runnming (also above 200 mph).
The other tyres which I have run on the street at high speeds successfully have been from Bridgestone.
Its best to tell the manufacturer what you are doing, they might arrange some proper tyres at a sensible price in return for a mention.
My reservations with the Michelins is that they are 'cheesy', ie they chirrup and warn you they are reaching their limits way before they actually do so,

The Contis, and the high speed Bridgestones are 'professional' tyres, their warning on approaching limits is rather more subtle.

You will only get the Bridgestones by going to the boss of motorsports. The Contis may be obtainable through a big distributor, but check the load rating.

R+C

Quick Reply: Why don't you use MP cups for high speed?