Sponsored by:

So far unimpressed with 997GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:34 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MJ,

you are right that the GT3RS was better than the GT3, 20K better who knows maybe...BUT the real question is or should be would or did MKI owners see the benefit in trading up to the 996GT3 or 996GT3RS. Honestly I dont think so. I know Porsche GT magazine did a test and they preferred the MKI over the MKII.

Curious how many of them switched up.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree what MJ said and also one thing to remember when concidering that $20k difference between GT3 and GT3 RS (whether it's worth it or not).

The re-sale value difference of GT3 and GT3 RS, especially after some time, should be more (if they make a boatload of 997 GT3 RSs then for that it's more iffy but in case of 996, it's for sure) than what the difference is new so in that sense at least, GT3 RS is worth the money.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 PM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly for me, the added allure of the GT3 was a factor in my purchase of the car versus a 911 Turbo.
I am a BMW M3 driver mostly with 3 928s also in the family, and the GT3 appealed to me after I stopped racing the M3.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:21 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
MJ,

you are right that the GT3RS was better than the GT3, 20K better who knows maybe...BUT the real question is or should be would or did MKI owners see the benefit in trading up to the 996GT3 or 996GT3RS. Honestly I dont think so. I know Porsche GT magazine did a test and they preferred the MKI over the MKII.

Curious how many of them switched up.
Value is relative and a matter of perception.

For example this is based on the 996 GT3RS vs. the 996 GT3:

RS Rollbar= +$4,000
RS Hood= + $5,000
RS Wing= + $2,800
RS Front Bumper= + $2,000
RS Alcantara Interior= + $1,200
RS Suspension= + $8,000

TOTAL= $23,000+

This doesn't include installation, paint work (hood), alignment and corner balancing. I would conservatively add another $2K and call it an even $25,000 to go from a 996 GT3 to an RS.

Value, it's worth it to get it from the factory for about $5,000 less. Not to mention what the Finn said that RS's traditionally hold more of their value.

Now to your question would it make sense to go from a 996 GT3 to a 997 GT3 RS, financially NO but then again these aren't financially sound decisions/purchases.

If I still had my 996 GT3, I'm not sure that I'd be willing to lose all that money just to have the latest and greatest, then again I've yet to drive the 997 GT3/RS. Since I don't have a 996 GT3, I am in the market for a 997 GT3RS, if in fact Porsche is bringing something to the US with the RS badge (unofficial), then I'll take that over the "regular" 997 GT3 and yes $20K more to me would be worth it.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

nope, but I did forget one other thing...

RS LWFW= +$1,400
Install= +$$$

My guess is that you'd be closer to $30K minus what you could get for your parts...still IMHO at a $20K premium I'd rather have a REAL RS straight from the factory...again IMHO an RS straight from the factory will be a better value based on 996 numbers.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

MJ and Finn

Great points on relative current costs and long term cost of ownership.

To Finn's point on residual value look at the 993 2S (whjich were made in a rather large number) versus the standard 993. People are still paying a significant premium for them almost ten years later, and I anticipate it will only get larger in percentage terms.

I would think a limited run car like the RS would enjoy the same premium.

Ultimately you have to drive it to see if the experience is worth the added cost, emotionally and rationally.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:07 PM
4ringturncoat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks/sounds pretty good to me. Thinking about sellling a highly modified Mitsu Evo to order the GT3.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
It looks/sounds pretty good to me. Thinking about sellling a highly modified Mitsu Evo to order the GT3.
go for it you'll love it!!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

RS LWFW= +$1,400
Install= +$$$

My guess is that you'd be closer to $30K minus what you could get for your parts...still IMHO at a $20K premium I'd rather have a REAL RS straight from the factory...again IMHO an RS straight from the factory will be a better value based on 996 numbers.
so you are comparing it to modifying an existing gt3 instead of whether or not the dollar difference is warranted?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

RS LWFW= +$1,400
Install= +$$$

You forgot the flowed cylinder head, mapping change, fire extinguisher, side airbag delete, gfx (boy do they charge a lot for those), wheels (the finish is expensive (& poor), ram air duct, rear polycarb screen. Removal of rear seatbelt mounts, no underseal, removal of more sound deadening.

Do standard mk2s have the external emergency cuttoff (loop under hood that can be poked out by the screen).

Anyway, it's safe to say that doing all this work would cost a lot more than buying the right car in the first place if you are comparing GT3 to GT3 RS (996).
Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by icon
so you are comparing it to modifying an existing gt3 instead of whether or not the dollar difference is warranted?
Jeff,

Whether or not the dollar difference is warranted is truly up to each individual's perception of value. I was showing that even for an additional $30K you could not modify an existing GT3 to equal an original RS. Somewhere along the value equation I believe getting more for less comes into play. Which is exactly what you get when you buy an original factory RS vs converting a GT3 to RS specs.

As I've said all along IMHO the RS is worth the additional $20K that PAG/PCNA want for it. You see I believe that the 996 GT3RS was at least worth $20K or better than the GT3, my example shows that dollar for dollar or euro to euro it was and to that you can add the Finn's point of residual value on a long term basis.

The original post on this thread was
Originally Posted by rr
After reading all of the articles on the 997GT3 in the magazines, particularly paying close attention to Georg Kacher's in the latest issue or Car and a preview of it by him in Car earlier in the year, this models GT3 seems to be - unless you don't own an MKII - unimpressive.

Besides the new looks, I'm not sure if there is enough to justify losing money on my car and paying the extra for a new one.

Unless the GT3RS comes with a 3.8L (964 based) motor I won't be moving "up", so to speak.

I mean I can spend the extra $30,000 on motor/suspension upgrades on my current one, which I feel would give me more value than the 997GT3 ever could.

Just curious what everyone else is feeling.
and if you notice it says "I feel would give me more value" that may be true for him but not for others which is why he asks what others "feel."

I feel that for $20K the RS is definitely a better value than a regular GT3 (and assume that it'll be the same with the 997 versions, we'll see). Now is a 997 GT3 worth the hit taken on the 996 GT3 plus the additional money, I don't know, I've yet to drive a 997 GT3. I'll let you know when I do.

And one last thing, RR said the he could "spend the extra $30,000..." at that point if you sell your 996 GT3 for $76K and put in the same $30K your right back up to 997 GT3 pricing and again you're in the whole value equation situation, which as I said is different for everyone.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DanH
You forgot the flowed cylinder head, mapping change, fire extinguisher, side airbag delete, gfx (boy do they charge a lot for those), wheels (the finish is expensive (& poor), ram air duct, rear polycarb screen. Removal of rear seatbelt mounts, no underseal, removal of more sound deadening.

Do standard mk2s have the external emergency cuttoff (loop under hood that can be poked out by the screen).

Anyway, it's safe to say that doing all this work would cost a lot more than buying the right car in the first place if you are comparing GT3 to GT3 RS (996).
Dan,

Mk2's do NOT have external emergency cut off, AFAIK. And your last sentence summarizes it well and that to me makes the RS a good value.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:25 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I'm interested that you guys only think there is a 20k USD uplift for the RS. In the UK the figures being suggested are closer to 20k GBP which obviously rather more...
Old 05-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

The latest info I have on the RS is that it will be 12K more than the GT3 in the UK.
I have my name down for one but it will depend what the final price difference is and what
goodies are thrown in.
Shane
Old 05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Here is another "mediocre" "review" from rennteam.com. A member, Segini, who frequents the NBR caught up with Chris Harris of Autocar there...
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&fpart=3&vc=1

In that post you can see the pics of the GT3 with Chris Harris in them at NBR. Chris mentioned the similar thing that Georg Kacher felt and wrote about in his "preview" in Car Magazine...

Here is the quote:

"the guy (Autocar's Chris Harris) that drove the gt3 said to us that the car is faster only for (with) the cup-tyres and that the power is similar to the old 996gt3 because the new one is heavier then the 996."

Quick Reply: So far unimpressed with 997GT3