Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Paddle shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Paddle shift

Can anyone point to a URL or location that has information on Porsche's new semi-automatic F1 type gear box? I ran into a person this weekend that was talking about it and it's rumored to be fantastic but I have not read anything about it.

I think the EGear, F1, SMG boxes are fantastic on the track but I've never found the love for them on the road. From what this guy was saying the Porsche box looks to satisfy the driveability issues and do the perfect throttle matched shifts.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Moogle
Race Car

rennteam.com has had alot of discussions about this.

at this point everyone know's that its coming, but the only solid info is the LACK of solid info.

its all speculation. its going to be a DSG box meaning there are two clutches, one to pre-select the next gear for instant*** shifts.

so it is going to be more advanced than SMG/Egear/Ferrari F1

for a 'preview' go try out an audi TT or golf with the DSG box, and imagine that mated to a GT3 or Turbo.

the reason it has not been availible sooner is that the hollow driveshafts and other special parts that allow the two clutches to operate simultaneously could not cope with the high power outputs that porsche required.

sure, there is the bugatti veyron, but that gearbox is bespoke and costs over $100k to replace.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Boulder GT3

Thanks, I've never looked at Rennteam.

You've got an SMG car. What are your thoughts on that type of system in a GT3 or TT?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Moogle
Race Car

I leave the SMG in automatic most of the time.

In truth, i needed a commuter and didn't want to by an automatic turbo or cayenne...

On the track it definitely makes things very fast and reliable - always perfectly matched downshifts/etc.

However, it does take something away from the experience of a manual.

That said, in traffic, its a blessing!

So for a dedicated track car, it will definitely improve your times, but saps some of the fun. In the end it comes down to which is more important.

so to recap:

SMG/DSG type systems:

+computer controls shifting = perfect shift every time.
+no power loss due to torque converter
+can be placed in fully automatic mode
+adjustable settings for shift speed/etc

-removes a bit of involvement on an open road/track

what is really interesting about the SMG box used on the BMW M3 is that it is the SAME gearbox as the manual, except with additional 20~pounds of solenoids and computers to control it.

mabye they can make a hybrid?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to know what Porwsche has in mind, go and drive the Audi DSG, it may please you, it doesn't do it for me, I prefer Lambo's newly programmed EGear.

R+C
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by Moogle
I leave the SMG in automatic most of the time.

In truth, i needed a commuter and didn't want to by an automatic turbo or cayenne...

On the track it definitely makes things very fast and reliable - always perfectly matched downshifts/etc.

However, it does take something away from the experience of a manual.

That said, in traffic, its a blessing!

what is really interesting about the SMG box used on the BMW M3 is that it is the SAME gearbox as the manual, except with additional 20~pounds of solenoids and computers to control it.

mabye they can make a hybrid?
The SMG makes sense to me for what you are doing. I still like the manual for fun Sunday drives and so on but you're right about traffic. Fun can start to cross the line to PITA in day to day gridlock reality.

I love a good heal/toe shift. That said, I really like the paddles on the track and I'm interested to see what Porsche does.

I've got to take the Pcar in to the dealer for a couple of things and I'll try to snag a DSG as a loaner.

Quick Reply: Porsche Paddle shift