Sponsored by:

Questions Re Factory Recall for Reflashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions Re Factory Recall for Reflashing

There is a factory recall outstanding on my GT3 . My GT3 was delivered in June of 03, in Florida. It hadn't been to a dealer since March of 04 until yesterday, when I took it in for a horn replacement under warranty. The service department's computer showed that there's a factory recall on it, to reflash the Central Contol Unit. Since my GT3 runs fine, I refused to let the dealer do that. The mechanic said that if ever I left it with a dealer for repair, it would be done whether or not I authorized it. He said it would remap the engine and that once done, there'd be no way to remap it back to its present mapping.

Do any of you know exactly what the "problem" here is, and if this repair will degrade the car's performance?

Richard Bain.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I had my GT3 flashed they stored my stock program in case I needed it. I don't see why the dealer can't save your existing program before they flash it with the update...actually the recall flash could be for anything ECU related not just fuel map...you might pm Sharkster...he may have an answer...
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by guykoken
Do any of you know exactly what the "problem" here is, and if this repair will degrade the car's performance?
it sounds like it will actually help performance...

W414 - Updating Software in DME Control Unit

This is to inform you of a voluntary Workshop Service Action on certain 2004 model year 911 GT3 (996) vehicles. Due to a software error in the DME control unit, it is possible that the DME control module changes to a limited operating program when driving in the lower part-load range in high altitudes.

Carrying out a reset (switching the ignition off and on) can be used to end the limited operating program. However, there is the possibility that the error will occur again if the vehicle is moved under the above-mentioned operating conditions.

Therefore, we ask that the software version on the DME control unit of the affected vehicles listed below be updated during the Porsche Owner's next visit to your workshop.

A total of 271 U.S. and 16 Canadian vehicles fall within scope of this Service Action.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

This happened to me...I was on the road when the info center said to "drive it to the workshop". When I got there the service guy told me that the ECU had to be reflashed, for some reason the it had "lost" all it's programming.

When I can tell you is that the car ran much better after the reflash.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like you have the facts before you.

I remember this problem because it happened to a couple of our local folks. One person bought a GT3 in California and drove it to Colorado (we are at significant altitude) and had a lot of trouble.

Here on Rennlist I remember stories from owners of some technicians having trouble getting the ECU to store the software properly.

Quick Reply: Questions Re Factory Recall for Reflashing