Pagid Orange as a permanent brake pad ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
Bob, following the graph, it seems that the RS 19 are even better suited than the oranges for street/track driving ?? Do you leave them in the car the whole time ?

I have installed the oranges, Bedded them in and I didn't feel any difference on the way home compared to the previous OEM ones. I'l tell you tomorrow when braking for the first times.. Anyhow, I drove them cold from the shop to the highway and didn't feel any particular dangerous situation. It's true that I made all my best not to brake strongly...

BTW ( I installed them my self for the first time, as you commented in your very helpfull Post, it's a very easy thing to do..).
Harry - well done. Porsche makes it easy to change pads and even rotors. The racinig heritage shows.

yes, I use the RS 19 street and track. I do not change them. That's typical for the Gt3 guys on the forum. I'd say that 95 percent of us use the RS-19 and leave them in all the time.

Regards,
Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
"Per recommendation of Bob Brooks, I run Pagid Orange fronts, Black rears for the track,.."

It seems that, folowing again the graph, this should cause stronger braking in the rear, which would not be my choice on a rainy track day... ( don't ask me why I wouldn't like it..). Wouldn't it be prefferable to be warned first by the front before having a problem in the rear..?
It normally doesn't rain for events April through November in California. The brake on the GT3 are biased very heavily towards the front. Adding more grip to the rear helps to even out the bias. Think about the new 997 GT3s. They are coming with larger rotors with more brake torque capability. This method is how you can better balance your car. It also allows the car to brake smoother, keeps the temps cooler on the front and extends the front rotor life.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Bob - I am trying 19s on the front and 29's on the back this season for exactly that reason.

best,
Old 04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Harry - well done. Porsche makes it easy to change pads and even rotors. The racinig heritage shows.

yes, I use the RS 19 street and track. I do not change them. That's typical for the Gt3 guys on the forum. I'd say that 95 percent of us use the RS-19 and leave them in all the time.

Regards,

Bob, what do you do about the sqealing. larry herman sugested to chamfer the leading edges but my yellows on stoptec 355mm rotors still squealed. for the times they didn't sqeal they gave off a grinding noise.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 AM
boqueron
Pro

Viperbob , Bob,

Just for a theoric discussion... I have read that the safest technique is to have more braking power in front in order to make the car slid first front, before the rear, as the front slides, I was told, it will - without less compromise - leave you a certain margin to ease the brakes without unbalancing the car. If the back slides first when braking it already unbalances the car. As a mater of fact, there are a pair of corners, at "my" track , Jarama, in Madrid, where - if I am not very concentrated - if I don't have a balanced car and brake a bit too much, the rear "brake" before and creates the slide..

I have had the opportunity to drive small School Formula Car in rain ( unfortunately with dry slicks.!!.).... You never had a second opportunity: if the rear braked first before ...you were out of the track inmediatly !! I was the more conservative of the students...it only happened once to me ! There were guys expending more of the time out than in the track...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes in most cases you want the front to lock before the rear. And yes it is way safer for the average driver to have way more braking on the front.

What we are discussing here a way of further tuning a street GT3 for the track. Adding more rear braking capability and overall by in essense tuning the brake compounds can help achieve a better overall car on the track.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrews
Has anyone ran the Pagid RS29 Yellows for a street/DE/ autoX type application?
I ran the 29s front and 19s rear for a few track days. I was not overly impressed with the 29's. I now have some 19's for the front and will check them out tomorrow at the track. I will report back with my observations.

FYI -- I am comparing the 29's to another car, with other pads, so it is not an apples to apples comparison! I used to run a 97 M3 and absolutely loved the Cobalt Spec VR pads (track only pads). The 29's compared to those is night and day, but then again, not an apples to apples comparison! I will find out tomorrow how the 19's fair and give a better comparison shortly thereafter.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:25 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
I ran the 29s front and 19s rear for a few track days. I was not overly impressed with the 29's. I now have some 19's for the front and will check them out tomorrow at the track. I will report back with my observations.
I will find out tomorrow how the 19's fair and give a better comparison shortly thereafter.
Who's running tomorrow, where? Thunderhill?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Tim....you ran MORE brake bias up front with the 29F 19R??? Curious to hear your reason.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Who's running tomorrow, where? Thunderhill?
unlimited lap on friday 28th.
then PCA has something on 29-30th
Old 04-27-2006, 05:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by karlooz
not according to pagid's friction graph. the yellows have better cold bite... great fro street driving. only when it gets really hot, the oranges have better bite.
carlos, i dont believe in reading charts, i am an artist by profession not an engineer and trust what my a** tell me, most of the time wrong, hahahah.

when i said bite, i meant the initial bite on track with hot pads. i felt yellow had more bite. i am very very hard on my brakes so most of the time they are really hot. on street, i am so slow i can stop the car with my foot out the door. but in all seriousness, on street with GT3 or my C2, i can stop equally well with yellow or orange even in cold CA morning (granted, i am driving at street speed).

my exp with RS44 and RS19 is that if i bedded them well, they dont squeak. when i get lazy and dont bed the rear (i always bed the fronts, with the rear pads, i am lazy), the rear will squeak.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mooty
i am very very hard on my brakes so most of the time they are really hot.
Are we going to have to go back out on the track and work on this some more?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Tim....you ran MORE brake bias up front with the 29F 19R??? Curious to hear your reason.
Well, hmmm.

The pads felt a bit soft to me. Fluid was fresh so I doubt it was that. Also, I ended up smokin them bad boys one session. BUT, like I said, I have nothing to really compare them to as these are the only pads I have used on the car. The jury will be out until tomorrow. Maybe I will determine that the 29s are better than the 19s....hell, i dunno.

I jsut wasn't impressed by them. Like I said, in my last track car i used Cobalts VR Specs on a Stoptech BBK. Fricken boat anchors. The GT3 did not stop as quickly, or at least, that was my perception. I am going faster in the GT3, so maybe that is throwing me. I am still new to the GT3 too, so I am a total newb as far as that is considered. So I should prolly STFU. But the 29's just didn't have that wow factor for me...thats all.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Good explanation Tim Good ole fashioned trial and error
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by viperbob
Are we going to have to go back out on the track and work on this some more?
hey hey hey, i have IMPROVED.
my rotors now last 2 track days instead of 1/2....

Quick Reply: Pagid Orange as a permanent brake pad ?