Sponsored by:

GT3 Seat Fire Extinguisher Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't mean to take this thread towards another "how far to take safety equipment" discussion. The "irrational" comment pertains to some competition rules where the fire system must be accessible to the driver belted in.

As for having anything on the roll bar, I think we've all seen video of rally car roll-overs were the occupants are fully belted in but flap around the cabin like rag dolls. I recently saw a video where the driver's head ended up behind the passenger seat (still attached) and he remained unconscious for a few seconds from the concussion.

So anything projecting from the bar is a bad idea. And padding on the bar is a good.

The worst thing I've seen lately is the full cage with the front bars removed, leaving metal stubs beside the occupant's heads.

That aside, fire protection comes in the form of helmet, balaclava, suit, gloves, shoes and is only rated for a matter of seconds before burns occur.

I agree the only reason to carry any fire fighting equipment is to have something to do while the fire truck rolls.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I didn't mean to take this thread towards another "how far to take safety equipment" discussion. The "irrational" comment pertains to some competition rules where the fire system must be accessible to the driver belted in.
Carrera, I hear ya.

While a trick installed race extinguisher system with multiple outlet ports may greatly enhance driver safety, it's just not a practical solution for the weekend "enthusiast".

Mobile extinguishers are nice. No valves, no tubing... just a little bracket somewhere if you want to take the FE out of the car.

Mobile FEs are nice for putting out paddock fires, too.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man! I didn't want to start a debate either. For me it was just an observation when I first tested my belts. Once in I couldn't reach anywhere but steering wheel.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

No I think there are some good points here... Safety first but it's sure nice to have an extinguisher handy for any number of situations
Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine to keep my latte cold
Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL chuck... I should probably fill mine with n20.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

As for having anything on the roll bar, I think we've all seen video of rally car roll-overs were the occupants are fully belted in but flap around the cabin like rag dolls. I recently saw a video where the driver's head ended up behind the passenger seat (still attached) and he remained unconscious for a few seconds from the concussion.

So anything projecting from the bar is a bad idea. And padding on the bar is a good.I agree the only reason to carry any fire fighting equipment is to have something to do while the fire truck rolls.
My personal experience leads me to different conclusions.

Almost all safety equipment can be improved upon (rollbar vs cage, FE vs built-in system, etc) and many variables get factored into choosing the appropriate equipment (need, use, budget, practicality, etc), but I think having an FE is better than not having one.

I've seen a number of car fires at the track and a few on the street. The most extreme example being a Cobra replica that rolled and ripped the helmet off the driver and the gas tank out of his car, leaving the now-helmetless driver unconscious with a grass fire closing in on him and a big fuel source sitting next to the car. As luck would have it, the next approaching driver (an EMT with a FE in his car) put out the fire and administered aid long before the fire truck rolled. Was a life saved? I don't know, but it could have been really ugly if he didn't have the FE.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

HolgerB couldn't agree more- it IS better to have one than not on the track. For the street do you need one? Probably not but you never know. On our kit we felt that guys with GT3 seats were certainly already track enthusiasts already and some of the organizations require you have something along the lines of what our kit does. We've installed pro-level full fire supression systems for club racers but for street cars I think having it under your driver's seat (or passenger if you can reach) works well.

Quick Reply: GT3 Seat Fire Extinguisher Mount