Sponsored by:

Should I buy Ceramic Brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bora
I had both on my car and drove them back to back. I think the linear response you speak of has more to do with the pad compound than the rotor material IMHO.
I would concur. With my iron rotors I now feel to have almost instant full ON and what feels like a longer stroke linear response when coming off the brakes, which is the way I like it. This is obviously one of those perception things. Pad material helps with the instant ON.
R+C
Old 03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bora
I had both on my car and drove them back to back. I think the linear response you speak of has more to do with the pad compound than the rotor material IMHO.
Well, you guys already have 1/2 the solution - ceramic in the pads, no doubt. See Pagid's description of their race pads:
PAGID Friction Compounds
PAGID racing compounds are complex formulations with very high content of ceramic materials. All Pagid materials are asbestos free. The difference to competitor’s ‘metallic’ compounds is the superior thermal insulation and the higher heat resistance of ceramic compared to iron. Ceramic has, to the contrary of iron, very low heat conductivity. Consequently less disc (rotor) temperature goes through the pad into the caliper.
Ceramics are said to have a very consitent coefficient of friction regardless of temperature. Hence I said it has linear friction, lap after lap.

I agree with you guys that if you plan to track a car, PCCB does not make sense. It is a wear item, and it costs 10 times the price of iron, yet lasts only 2 times as long. You guys have convinced me!

But don't say ceramics are not superior in several ways. They are - there is too much engineering to say otherwsie. They just cost too much.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ray well put. hope to see you this month. any days at pir in april?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:52 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure anyone would argue that the ceramics are inferior on anything but cost.

I was pretty upset replacing mine with steels when I felt the weight difference!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Can anyone tell me why the 2005 GT3 PCCB rotors have a different part # then the 2004 rotors???
Old 03-31-2006, 03:43 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Shadow
Can anyone tell me why the 2005 GT3 PCCB rotors have a different part # then the 2004 rotors???
That's a good question. I always heard they were the same (Gen 1, that is).
Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

I spoke with someone who may know a whole lot about the subject of PCCB's on the track at PDE this week, and he said that the PCCB rotors won't wear or need resurfacing, just remember to keep a spare set of pads and replace them before you get close to wearing them all the way down and ruining the ceramic rotors. This was in response to my question about whether the order the PCCB's on the new GT3.

BTW, will the PCCB's on the forthcoming 997 GT3 have a newer generation rotor than previously provided on the 996 GT3's?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I spoke with someone who may know a whole lot about the subject of PCCB's on the track at PDE this week,
he may know something, he may not know something, in any event, I smell something.

The best, virtually only source of information about new generation PCCBs are the Supercup teams. They will tell you that whilst the PCCBs will last longer than iron rotors under ideal circumstances, they are still more expensive to run than the iron rotors.

Running PCCBs in the Supercup was part of PAG's campaign to make people want the damn things. It may or may not be a coincidence that at the same time that they put the PCCBs on the Cup cars, they removed the race ABS.

There are no reasons, apart from weight saving to use PCCBs over the very best iron rotors. The very best are more expensive than the stock PAG offerings, but way cheaper than the PCCBs.

R+C
Old 04-14-2006, 03:10 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I spoke with someone who may know a whole lot about the subject of PCCB's on the track at PDE this week, and he said that the PCCB rotors won't wear or need resurfacing, just remember to keep a spare set of pads and replace them before you get close to wearing them all the way down and ruining the ceramic rotors. This was in response to my question about whether the order the PCCB's on the new GT3.

BTW, will the PCCB's on the forthcoming 997 GT3 have a newer generation rotor than previously provided on the 996 GT3's?
If he is so sure, will he take 1000USD to warranty mine for track usage? He buys me a new set when they die (and they will!)
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

lawdjc: I will go with DanH. My pads are changed at 50-60% wear and I am not on the first set of PCCB rotors. THEY WEAR. They last longer then irons however at a replacement cost of $5100 each do not last long enough (if tracked).
Old 04-15-2006, 01:58 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

If he is so sure, will he take 1000USD to warranty mine for track usage? He buys me a new set when they die (and they will!)
lawdjc: I will go with DanH. My pads are changed at 50-60% wear and I am not on the first set of PCCB rotors. THEY WEAR. They last longer then irons however at a replacement cost of $5100 each do not last long enough (if tracked).
I don't dispute what you are saying, but I am trying to reconcile your first hand knowledge with what I was told at PDE. Is it possible that the new generation PCCB's that will come on the 997 GT3 will not have the problems you have experienced?

I do appreciate your help!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

it very much sounds as if your PDE expert has been reading from the Giant Weissach Book Of Comic Stories. Gullible, like Gollum is spelled with a capital G. Because he has bought into the myth, there is no need for the rest of us to fo,llow suit.

R+C
Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

To be fair the PR machine keeps rolling and every time I read a magazine they all seem to say how the ceramics are a 'must have if you intend to track your car'. Still, if they can get mugs to keep buying them, perhaps the cost will come down
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The GEN II is light years better then the GEN I. It is obvious that Porsche made a mistake with GEN I as well as the folks that purchased a car with them.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
The GEN II is light years better then the GEN I. It is obvious that Porsche made a mistake with GEN I as well as the folks that purchased a car with them.
Again, you're probably right. Back-to-back, there was no question in actual driving on the Barber track that the ceramics were far superior in every regard to the standard 997 brakes.

If I approach it from a different angle, suppose I track the 997 GT3 a half dozen times a year. Will Porsche cover the PCCB rotors if there is a problem, or will it say "too bad - nothing is covered once you are on the track." After all, the new GT3, as well as the previous GT3, are marketed specifically to be used on the track as well as on the street.

Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Should I buy Ceramic Brakes ?