Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GT3 "Traction Control Off" and "Sport" buttons how would you like them set?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Can Porsche can be held liable for a user selectable TC default on or off setting any more than they can be held responsible for it merely being user selectable to off i.e. not as default off?

If the car is delivered with the TC default set to on- the user makes the decision in either case to turn it off dont' they?

It seems if that were a concern it would not be switchable at all.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

By defaulting TC to 'on', I would think that Porsche's liability is reduced. They are trying to make the vehicle as "safe" as possible by improving traction and stability.

Ultimately, the driver is responsible for being in control of the car, but I think that defaulting the TC to 'off' would open a huge potential can of worms in the accident department.

Having a system such as TC default to 'off' would just open up Pandora's box with respect to the "what if?" factor.

What if TC were on? Could this accident have been avoided? It only takes a little doubt to start a snowball.

IMO it just doesn't make good sense from a liability standpoint to engineer a system like TC and have it default to 'off'. You, however, can turn it off, and the ball is in your court.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I don't care if they have a TC system or not, just as long as you can turn it completely off.

If I recall, PSM is never off.
When PSM is set to "off," it only works with conjunction with the ABS systems. Trust me. The car did no intervention whatsoever when I flung it clear off the skidpad into the dirt at Summit Point.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 AM
GreigM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
When PSM is set to "off," it only works with conjunction with the ABS systems. Trust me. The car did no intervention whatsoever when I flung it clear off the skidpad into the dirt at Summit Point.
This is correct, it is a popular myth that PSM will intervene when you don't want it to. If the PSM button is off the system is only reactivated while the brake pedal is pressed - this is to prevent the rear end of the car coming round under braking and providing a kind of "enhanced" ABS. When you take your foot off the brake pedal you are entirely on your own and lift-off/power oversteer won't be prevented.

On a similar note I recently drove a car with a retro-fitted Racelogic Traction Control system - very good with highly adjustible/configurable slip angles and when it does kick in it seemed to be less intrusive than PSM (possibly because PSM uses the brakes also so is a more "definite" intervention). I'm hoping the TC on the 997GT3 is similar.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Good engineering practice dictates which way the Traction Control defaults.
i think it's more like good practicing attorneys
Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
i think it's more like good practicing attorneys

Sad, but apparently true.

I wonder when the day will come that Porsche (and all manufacturers as well) has to install all the "safety" systems - PSM, TC, etc. on all the cars and with no "off" buttons because of this logic.

I can see Porsche in court saying: "yes your honor, we build our most powerful cars, the GT2, GT3 etc. without all the safety systems that we know how to build, and put in our lesser powered cars, just to make these powerful more interesting for out customers to drive"

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 "Traction Control Off" and "Sport" buttons how would you like them set?