Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GT3 - What if?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006 | 03:34 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Default Cayman GT3 - What if?

what if porsche came out with a cayman gt3?
same power to weight and price as the 997gt3!
would you guys consider such a car in place of a 997gt3?
ps'd pics courtesy jabba's world

Last edited by icon; 03-11-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2006 | 07:12 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Maybe there will be a Caymen CS or something, but not an RS that would be challenge a GT3. I read one strange rumor a while back that the 998 would be offered in mid engine and rear engine configurations (4 seats or better weight distribution, your choice). In this case I think the simple answer is that well obviously a mid engine GT3 is a natural progression as a track day car focused on performance. However, it will certainly lose some soul just by being more perfect without that heavy engine hanging off the rear. If I could choose, I'd take a 997 GT3 RS and live with that for at least a decade. If I already had a 996 GT3 RS, I'd just keep that and enjoy it.
Old 03-11-2006 | 07:35 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Several tuners are building this sort of car for racing in the VLN this season. Its a really good basis for rent-a-seat racers
Old 03-11-2006 | 10:13 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

They've put the 3.8l 997 S engine into a Boxster already. Review in Excellence this month. Interestingly they mention the lack of weight over the rear axle compromises traction a bit. Wonder how much quicker a mid engined GT3 engined Caymen would really be?
Old 03-11-2006 | 11:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanH
They've put the 3.8l 997 S engine into a Boxster already. Review in Excellence this month. Interestingly they mention the lack of weight over the rear axle compromises traction a bit. Wonder how much quicker a mid engined GT3 engined Caymen would really be?
The ones that have been built are a 'lot' faster. The LSD and traction control help greatly. Not many reliable performance figures thanks to a a winter of nasty weather.

There is a huge difference between a street car and a race car in the hands of an expert, it may or may not be nice on the street, but Ruf's version does OK.

'Lack of weight over the rear axle' - what a 911 centric remark! I've not read the article and am in no hurry to do so, possibly the writer has discovered one of the drawbacks of cars with low polar moments of inertia!
Old 03-11-2006 | 12:10 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
There is a huge difference between a street car and a race car in the hands of an expert...
You got that right...look at the latest R & T article on the Carrera GT vs 996 GT3 RSR (Peterson/White Ligtening) comparo on the 10 corner 1.5 mile Spring Moutain West Loop course. Patrick Long took the RSR around the course 9 seconds faster than he did the GT. Acceleration and braking almost the same (RSR slightly better on braking) so the 9 seconds are in the 10 corners......
Old 03-11-2006 | 12:40 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Kim
What tyres was the CGT on? When its street tyres against slicks, all bets are off. We see endless arguments about x being faster than y, and when you examine the data, the difference is more than accounted for by tyres. Thats before we start looking at track temperatures.
9 seconds is an awfully long time, a guy could get.......
The RSR has a history of racing the CGT has only been fooled around with on track, and it is known not to be fast in a racing sense.

R+C
Old 03-11-2006 | 01:13 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not sure, but I bet it was the stock tires vs slick. Even with a tire difference, 9 sec in 1.5 miles/10 turns is quite a bit. The point being street vs race. Even with the greater power and not a bad chassis, a street car in street trim is no match for a race car, particularly a well sorted car like the Peterson RSR.

I think Long said that if you lowered the CGT, put on some sticky tires, set up the chassis appropriately, and put it on a bigger track, that it could give the RSR a run for it's money.

It would be interesting to see a gutted, race prepped CGT....too bad I don't have a spare $1M to do it....
Old 03-11-2006 | 01:32 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter

It would be interesting to see a gutted, race prepped CGT....too bad I don't have a spare $1M to do it....
a million, and the rest, start with a new tub....

R+C
Old 03-11-2006 | 04:22 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
What tyres was the CGT on?
The CGT was on street tires (PS2s?) while the RSR was on racing slicks. The articles says "Our VBOX...bears this out. Both cars accelerate at the same rate, brake at nearly the same rate (the RSR has a slight edge), but the race car's superior overall grip translates to better perforamance in the corners." They liken the CGT to "a big, expensive 605-bhp Boxster" while the RSR "a pure, unadulterated race car". In the end, they wished Michelin made racing slicks in CGT sizes.
Old 03-11-2006 | 04:25 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

That's my car! You been thinkin' what I been thinkin'!!
I'll bet Porsche been too...

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 03-11-2006 | 06:43 PM
MickOpalak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yargk
I think that a mid engine GT3 is a natural progression as a track day car focused on performance. However, it will certainly lose some soul just by being more perfect without that heavy engine hanging off the rear.
Help me out here. I've always understood the word 'soul' to be a religous term regarding one's spirit, the old 'ghost in the machine' idea. How does this relate to cars? Are you saying your car's haunted? Moving the engine to the middle exorcises it a little bit?
Old 03-11-2006 | 08:17 PM
AlanN
Instructor

Originally Posted by arenared
The CGT was on street tires (PS2s?) while the RSR was on racing slicks. The articles says "Our VBOX...bears this out. Both cars accelerate at the same rate, brake at nearly the same rate (the RSR has a slight edge), but the race car's superior overall grip translates to better perforamance in the corners." They liken the CGT to "a big, expensive 605-bhp Boxster" while the RSR "a pure, unadulterated race car". In the end, they wished Michelin made racing slicks in CGT sizes.
So the RSR and CGT accelerate at the same rate, but don't match each other under cornering nor braking, the advantage in both disciplines here goes to the car with the slicks and a purely track-oriented setup.

A car developed and setup for racing in fact wins (on track) as opposed to one mainly setup for posing around the streets of SFC (I'm toying here chaps take it easy )

I'm gobsmacked

Also love the thought of "It would be interesting to see a gutted, race prepped CGT....too bad I don't have a spare $1M to do it...."

My deposit is ready and waiting for that one however at Geneva yesterday they (Porsche) would not take it for some reason

Please don't take offence here either, just plain wrong in terms of estimation of prepping a "proper" CGT for "racing"

Last edited by AlanN; 03-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2006 | 10:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

"Oh schnap" that thing looks good!
Old 03-11-2006 | 11:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

NICE!

needs skirting, lose the windshield decal, use the Cayman side windows and pillar.

and what happened to the air intakes for the GT3 engine?

Quick Reply: Cayman GT3 - What if?