Sponsored by:

The wart(s)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colm
I'm sure, look at the graphs for the 997S!
How does it do this then? I looked at what I thought was a graph of this, and it looked like throttle opening vs pedal input.

If it could generate more torque at different RPM, then the power figures would change, and afaik they don't.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
any neutral observer will be less than impressed by 'Air suspension'. But if you are comparing it to Detroit's finest, it may not be too bad.
Honestly, it feels years away from being as good as springs
One of my other cars' is a Volvo V70R with suspension manufactured by Ohlins.
It uses regular springs, but computer controlled shocks.

I am guessing the Porsche system is similar to this and probably much better.

I have been very impressed with the suspension on this 3900 lbs V70R,
and looking forward to what Porsche can do with the 997GT3.

So far from what I have seen on the 997GT3, I am not convinced that it is tempting enough to trade in the 996 GT3 to get a 997GT3. Maybe I will change my mind once I see it in person.

By the way, compared to Ferrari, Porsche sucks in terms of keeping their customers informed of new cars etc. I guess the volumes of Porsche don't allow for special customer treatment.

Bora
Old 02-13-2006, 03:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Huh? PASM still uses steel springs. PASM doesn't change ride height with the press of the button. Engagement of the wart changes throttle mapping but not power or power delivery (i.e., it 'fools' the driver, and is to a certain extent just a gadget).

Colm, I think you confuse the 997 with K.I.T.T. Must be the affects of running the Knight Rider fan club site.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
remove the power brakes, remove the hydraulic assist clutch system, remove the brake bias, and so on. I guess driving well has to be strenuous and manly!
Uh racecars don't have these items with the exception of the brake bias which is adjustable to the driver. And the GT3 is supposed to be close to a racecar for the street so send me one with all those removed.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM
AlanN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Uh racecars don't have these items with the exception of the brake bias which is adjustable to the driver. And the GT3 is supposed to be close to a racecar for the street so send me one with all those removed.

You and me both
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You two cheated... and took out my gearbox line. Besides you also know that some race cars do have these power systems including steering.

To each his own.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:50 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Further, if you read the first line of the new GT3 brochure it says

" The new GT3 is designed primarily for the road".....so all this track talk and racing specification is nonsense as it relates to the design and use intent.

Want a race car...buy a race car, don't try to do things on the cheap, it never works in any walk of life.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colm
Further, if you read the first line of the new GT3 brochure it says

" The new GT3 is designed primarily for the road".....so all this track talk and racing specification is nonsense as it relates to the design and use intent.

Want a race car...buy a race car, don't try to do things on the cheap, it never works in any walk of life.
So the new GT3 is trading off the cache of the old one then? It wasn't a race car, but it was about the best trackday car you could buy.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
You two cheated... and took out my gearbox line. Besides you also know that some race cars do have these power systems including steering.

To each his own.
You are right some do have power steering and for a good reason. It allows the driver to add smooth inputs due to him having to use less muscle to turn the wheel. The power steering in these cars, including the ALMS GT3 RSR, are electrical. But these cars are not street cars turned into a racecar. They are all purpose built racecars and you won't find power brakes, clutch assist, and crap like that on a real racecar.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
They are all purpose built racecars and you won't find power brakes, clutch assist, and crap like that on a real racecar.
Huh? Many racecars don't have power brakes, but many do... including ABS. Also, the RSR and most serious race cars have sequential gearboxes with automatic throttle cut / clutch dip negating the need to use the clutch pedal. Many ALMS cars (Audis etc) have electronically actuated shifts- tap the paddles to shift up and down- everything is done by hydroelectrics and computers. Remember when F1 cars had active suspension and ABS? They still have traction control...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by e6tme
Huh? Many racecars don't have power brakes, but many do... including ABS. Also, the RSR and most serious race cars have sequential gearboxes with automatic throttle cut / clutch dip negating the need to use the clutch pedal. Many ALMS cars (Audis etc) have electronically actuated shifts- tap the paddles to shift up and down- everything is done by hydroelectrics and computers. Remember when F1 cars had active suspension and ABS? They still have traction control...
This march of technology is directly proportional to the ever increasing tedium of F1
Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Exactly DanH.
The rules change and the rules dictate the technology that meets the rules.
So really, in racing, the rules dictate the technology, and therefore the tedium or skill required and the level of "driver event" or "sporting event" status.
In the case of a PAG single class where the mfg dicates the rules, the mfg would direcly add as much crap on a car that is still decent racing because it markets the same crap to us on the street car - with I note a likely 12 month warranty.
The ABS "brake and forget",
The TC "floor it and forget",
The Stab Mgt "turn and forget" and the others make me say Forgetaboutit.
These helpers just do not make a better sports car, they make it worse because it takes away everything worth driving and also takes away the need to learn...so I guess we are just getting dumbed down. It also corrects inherent chassis issues as the Z06 shows.
Racing is one thing, where if the rules allow it you must do it. If the rules remove it, you must change. Certainly the concept of racing being the be all only applies if qualified by "as set by rules" and not set by the standard of the "greatest sporting event" as F1 has shown.
Perhaps I am closet NASCAR devotee...to bad they do not run more roadcourses!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
AlanN
Instructor

Originally Posted by LastGT3
Exactly DanH.
The rules change and the rules dictate the technology that meets the rules.
So really, in racing, the rules dictate the technology, and therefore the tedium or skill required and the level of "driver event" or "sporting event" status.
In the case of a PAG single class where the mfg dicates the rules, the mfg would direcly add as much crap on a car that is still decent racing because it markets the same crap to us on the street car - with I note a likely 12 month warranty.
The ABS "brake and forget",
The TC "floor it and forget",
The Stab Mgt "turn and forget" and the others make me say Forgetaboutit.
These helpers just do not make a better sports car, they make it worse because it takes away everything worth driving and also takes away the need to learn...so I guess we are just getting dumbed down. It also corrects inherent chassis issues as the Z06 shows.
Racing is one thing, where if the rules allow it you must do it. If the rules remove it, you must change. Certainly the concept of racing being the be all only applies if qualified by "as set by rules" and not set by the standard of the "greatest sporting event" as F1 has shown.
Perhaps I am closet NASCAR devotee...to bad they do not run more roadcourses!

Precisely LastGT3 (and Dan).
In F1 it's only been the last 1-2 seasons where the driver has been back doing most of the driving.
I personally do not want a car that saves my a$$ on track, I want to learn the car and it's limits, and then apply my limited skills to pedal it around a circuit.

It used to be a fact that you could have put Schuey in a "bad" car and he would still do well Those were in the days when the cars were mainly in the drivers' control.
TBH in my humble opinion the Ferarri that dominated for so long in recent years (with MS behind the wheel) would have done so with anyone half decent in it, it had so much technology and so much money thrown at it.

Now I see the point that the 997 GT3 brochure states that it is a "street" car, but that isn't what the GT3 is supposed to be about is it? So fine, if you want a nannying street version of a car that is supposed to be mainly track-focussed then fine and good luck to you but IMHO your money would be better spent on a Turbo.
I however don't want nor expect the GT3 to be *this* road-oriented.

I just hope Porsche redeem themselves (to those with my line of thinking) with the 997 GT3RS.
I somehow don't think they will however, particularly if they intend to take the car to the USA and I mean no offence to our US cousins here, it's just the way they will be forced to build the car if this is the case

Just my 2p
Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Alan on the plus side, if they soften the 997RS then it'll make our 996RSs classics

I don't think they'll drop the ball that badly though. Its going to come out, and we are going to want it.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a good discussion and it aligns with the old debate on NASA and their astronaut program. Are these humans operating the space vehicle or just being transported?

When is driving a car no longer a sport?

In automobile racing one seeks every legal advantage that can be afforded over the competition. F1 is probably the best example of the goal to reduce human errors or inefficiencies with technology.
I know many do not like this and expect the cars to be driving themselves soon. Understood

A street legal car that is supposed to be a part time track model is a COMPROMISE. I accept that and some of the technology that goes with it on an item by item basis. Consider technology and brakes. I still think we are in the dark ages . The operator/driver is still applying the brakes at four wheels with one device, the brake foot pedal. With front to rear brake bias, ABS, different size rotors, different pads, the driver only has one foot pedal to 'control' the brakes with.

Quick Reply: The wart(s)!