Sponsored by:

996 GT2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006 | 01:05 AM
9one1
Advanced

Question 996 GT2 Mods

Guys ...need your advice.

Looking to mod my GT2 for track use. Have already replaced PCCB rotors with steels. I have researched many different companies and packages. Wanting to stay under 600BHP to conserve gear box etc. Has anyone used the ttp, rs tuning or cargraphic packages? I have heard that they are all basically the same and some even use identical parts. I would love to hear about your first hand experiences. Also the guys in Australia do not recommend using the BMC filter in GT2...any comments?
Old 02-04-2006 | 02:36 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

9one1,

Since you are down under I can only give you recommendations via experience. Not sure where you can get it done in your area. Not sure why people are "not" recommending using a BMC filter? It does flow more air.

I have 2003 GT2 - Europipe stage II quite exhaust, Baily DV's, GMG roll bar (provides better seat position than stock bar and they will powdercoat it any color you wish), factory schroth seat belts, GIAC adjustable controller with stock, 91 and race gas programs, BMC Filter and Moton Club Sport shocks with uprated springs and steel brakes. This is a nice package overall and will keep your budget reasonable. The car works better than stock and is quite fast. Still takes a good driver to make it really all work together.

The exhaust is nice, but not too loud. The power increase is substantial. The suspension upgrades have flattened out the car and the shocks are far better on bumps than the stock set up.

An alternate route is to go with factory roll bar or cage, seats, Moton's, Baily's or Evo DV's and maybe exhaust. You don't really need any power upgrades or even exhaust to be honest. After awhile you may want them.

Other options Ruf 550 motor package is great (intake, exhaust, programming, turbo mods), but is expensive and may not be easy for you to get done. But it really works. They can offer you a complete package as well, motor, suspension, etc...

I think you need to set you budget and go from there. I would start with safety equipment of roll bar, 6 pt harness and Hans devise and a good alignment to your factory suspension and Michilen Pilot Sport Cup tires. When you can't go any faster add suspension improvements and Baily's or Evo DV. When you can't go any faster then upgrade power and exhaust. After that start to lighten the car.

Best of luck and enjoy the project, it is half the fun!

JCM
Old 02-04-2006 | 03:59 AM
9one1
Advanced

Thanks supercup. Have already got rollcage and track tyres etc. Are you still using the stock rims?
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:01 AM
grussell
Pro

9one1,

I too have a moded 2003 GT2 and had my first track experience last week. I dnn't know your level of experience but if you are a novice like me I would recommend weight savings and suspension alignment prior to making to many other mods. That way you can make the changes to the car later after you have eperienced it fully on the track.

I have the Evo stage IV (600hp) and it makes very good power but for me, it's too much power on the track. I have stock suspension and I am going to leave it that way until I can learn to drive the car better on the track.

I would suggest the following initial mods:

Lighter wheels (I have BBS Motorsport)
GT3 Seats
Harness
Lightweight Flywheel
Center Console Delete
Lighter Exhaust (I have Cargraphic Loud)
Lightweight Battery
Alignment and corner balance

If you want more power, I highly recommend the Evo products:

Stage IV tuning
Headers
V-Flow
Boost Hoses
DV's
Adjust Waste gates
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:39 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

RS tuning makes packages for both Cargraphic and FVD, if I'm not mistaken. Then you've got RUF's 550 package, which I am fimiliar with. Been in a friend's GT2 clubsport that was upgraded to RUF RGT2 apecs and it's fantastic. RUF also can come down and do the installation for you. No idea about dealers for the other firms. I think RUF uses the BMC airfilter in his package but you could always put in the factory element.
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:00 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am running 2004 GT2 wheels which are lighter than 2003's. The BBS are lighter still. Lighter wheels is a good mod as well.

JCM
Old 02-07-2006 | 01:42 AM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Hi Jim, I sent you an e-mail re the SDR/PCA event at Qualcom last Sunday. There is another on the 18th is you want to go down. Also, we need to get together. I'm in town this week but will be gone Mon and Tues morning next week.(Don't want to miss the feb 14th benefits

Cars going into GMG Thursday for an Alignment. Might do a few other items while it's there.

GRUSSELL - Where are you in SoCal? Jim and I are in S. OC.

Have Fun! Steve
Old 02-07-2006 | 10:05 AM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06 convert
Hi Jim, I sent you an e-mail re the SDR/PCA event at Qualcom last Sunday. There is another on the 18th is you want to go down. Also, we need to get together. I'm in town this week but will be gone Mon and Tues morning next week.(Don't want to miss the feb 14th benefits

Cars going into GMG Thursday for an Alignment. Might do a few other items while it's there.

GRUSSELL - Where are you in SoCal? Jim and I are in S. OC.

Have Fun! Steve
Steve,

I am in Santa Clarita.
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:35 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Originally Posted by grussell
Steve,

I am in Santa Clarita.
At least your close to the tracks. Great color. I think the
Blue and the Seal Grey work the best.

Have Fun! Steve