Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:40 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stephen,
Regarding the battery life and recharging, I'm just relaying what the manufacturers engineer told me in responce to my questions. He semed to sound like the battery issues were being made more complicated than necessary. I didn't suggest that the battery be fully discharged then recharged, over two weeks there should be only the parasytic loss and small internal battery loss over time to make up. This happens every time you start and run the car, whether it's 2 hours or 2 weeks since last started. There apparently is an ongoing chemical process when on a charger long term, which reduces the relative life of the battery. Now we're not talking big numbers here, but the bottom line was he felt it was better to just start the car every 2 weeks or less and be done with it.

The cable size recommended was 4 gauge with 2 gauge having some small advantage depending on your situation. My comment of anything larger being too large was just to say there was no measureable benifit to going larger, cost more and was heavier. Although if you have a monster stereo etc. you might have a case for a bigger cable.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray, I do think he has a point in that the life of these AGM batteries is a lot longer than a regular wet lead acid battery. So it almost doesn't matter what we do with them. As I think you said earlier, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I've done a lot of reading on these batteries over the months and I can say that I have yet to find any one source which tells the whole story.

I've been using an Odyessy PC680 AGM battery in an Audi S4. So far at least, I've been very impressed with how well the battery has done with normal use in New England winter conditions.

Stephen
Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stephen,
At this point I think I'm going to give them a try and see what happens. Now I have to get all that carpeting and foam out of there.

Ray

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation