Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
The Porsche DP engine is 3.99 liters.
Wrong. It is up to 3.99l most (all that I know) run a 3.8l pkg. All porsche powered cars can run the same weight regardless of engine size (up to 3.99l) if you want to run a 3.4 you can but you still carry the same weight. The decrease in weight is in comparison to the other engine pkgs.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What we should be focusing on is designing a half-shaft and boot that wont fail! The race woulda been theirs if it weren't for them damn half-shafts. The AJR car was damn fast....making up a lap/hour...incredible.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I recall watching Rolex races last year and hearing an interview with Hurley saying that LAST YEAR they were trying out a new 3.9 liter engine. Since then the cars went to Porsche who worked some magic on the chassis and aerodynamics .. maybe the engine too. I doubt they would have reduced the displacement from the 3.9 they used in 2005.

rgds,
Old 01-30-2006, 05:10 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I recall watching Rolex races last year and hearing an interview with Hurley saying that LAST YEAR they were trying out a new 3.9 liter engine. Since then the cars went to Porsche who worked some magic on the chassis and aerodynamics .. maybe the engine too. I doubt they would have reduced the displacement from the 3.9 they used in 2005.

rgds,
Bob you are correct, the Brumos cars went under alot of changes last year. When I was together with Bob Snodgrass of Brumos at Homestead last year, he did mention that the cars were getting all new aero package from the Gerny group. Also some updates on the chassis from Fabcar. Then the cars where sent to Germany and put in wind tunnel at Porsche. The 3.9 litre power plants they have were and built and tested by Manthey Racing since 2004.

Theo
Old 01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... Bob Snodgrass???? Snodgrass?? I almost spat coffee all over my keyboard - someone, tell me that is a typo?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
So the Jobs web site is providing incorrect information as to the specs of their motor? Would this be intentional or they do not know?
It might just be the case of the webmaster not getting updated information? Contrary to what was said on Speedvision there are no weight or maximum rpm penalties (that I could find) for any Porsche engines below 4 liters. The only disadvantage of running a 3.99l (that I could find) is that the compression ratio is limited to 11:1, the 3.6l & 3.8l have no limits. In the latest competitors tech bulletin the GrandAm limited the fuel-pressure that the 3.9l could run so the lower compression ratio doesn't seem to be a limiting factor. I can't see Porsche being allowed to run engines with 200cc extra displacement and not doing so. Porsche are the grand-masters of regulation stretching so why would they purposely underbuild an engine? If anything that 3.9 liters was measured to 11 decimal places using some obscure measurement standard that almost no one has heard of.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It might just be the case of the webmaster not getting updated information? Contrary to what was said on Speedvision there are no weight or maximum rpm penalties (that I could find) for any Porsche engines below 4 liters. The only disadvantage of running a 3.99l (that I could find) is that the compression ratio is limited to 11:1, the 3.6l & 3.8l have no limits. In the latest competitors tech bulletin the GrandAm limited the fuel-pressure that the 3.9l could run so the lower compression ratio doesn't seem to be a limiting factor. I can't see Porsche being allowed to run engines with 200cc extra displacement and not doing so. Porsche are the grand-masters of regulation stretching so why would they purposely underbuild an engine? If anything that 3.9 liters was measured to 11 decimal places using some obscure measurement standard that almost no one has heard of.
The SPEED commentators repeatedly said the motors were 3.8L. I can imagine that it would be better and safer to stay with a well known 3.8 formula. It's not that easy to just increase displacement and retain reliabilty. If you just increase stroke, that puts stress on other things, and it doesn't have as much testing. Having a 4L 6 cyl is already getting to be a lot of reciprocating mass & velocity per cylinder for high revs. But, I'm not an ME, so I'm just speculating.

Here is an article that says 4 cars used the 3.8L:
http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...ANDAM-GRANDCUP

In Part:
"Brumos Racing has been testing and providing development data for our Porsche 911 GT3-based 3.8-liter flat six engine. We are grateful to them for letting us use their race car as a test lab, and we feel confident that the other Daytona Prototype competitors will benefit from the results," said Uwe Brettel, president of Porsche Motorsport North America
Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray. what do they know? Hope it is dry Friday.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
... Bob Snodgrass???? Snodgrass?? I almost spat coffee all over my keyboard - someone, tell me that is a typo?
Nope no typo at all...

I do recall them (Brumos) having 3.9L engines last year and you're correct they were/are built by Manthey Racing!!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Listening to AJ comment on the addition of a new drop gear that allows the transaxel to be lowered in relation to the engine also lowered the center of gravity helped to make the car more competative.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 PM
kfleming
Intermediate

Does anyone believe that Porsche will introduce the GT-3 engine in the street
car BEFORE putting it in a GT-3 race car? If this engine in a de-tuned state
is the basis for the next GT-3 motor, and the Cup cars for the season have
the old 3.6, wouldn't Porsche wait until about now next year to release the
GT-3 street, after the engine is released for the Cup and customer cars?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe it will be introduced next year in the RS version?!?

Quick Reply: As if we didn't know