Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(ex)GT3 owners stop whining

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 GT3 is liken to a GT cruiser if you compare it to a 11 yr old 993 RS...
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100%.
I use my GT3 all the time as well and I live in the city.
No, its not too low.
No its not too loud.
And no it's not a rough ride.

Bora this thread was a great idea.

For the whining ones, You shouldn't join the Navy if you get sea sick.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who buys a new car as an investment?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Joe Yang
Intermediate

I also LOVE my GT3 and can't wait to take it to Laguna Seca next Month. I plan to keep it stock at least for the first track event and upgrade it slowly as my driving skill is improved to match up with the car's capability.

The only thing I have to be careful about for street driving is its ground clearence as it will bottom out easily on rough roads, especially during weekend drives through the Canyons.

-----------------------------
'04 GT3 white
'00 Boxster (sold, sadly...)
'05 Subaru GT Limited
'05 BMW 325i
Old 01-24-2006, 03:18 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wink GT3

Luv my GT3 as well. Likely one of the last unfiltered porsches available. However, it is a bit loud with muffler bypass pipes.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:23 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Well, I suppose I'll have to throw in my sentiments as well. I drive mine every day, track it every chance I get (at least monthly), and I just can't keep the smile off of my face! Now tell me, what more can you ask for??

Geoff.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The reasons everyone gives for selling are the reasons I bought it.

Rich.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, after driving it on the track, I found it to be very un-fun on the crappy and crowded roads around here. Yes, it is an awesome car, and I knew exactly what I was getting into, but I didn't realize how much more important it would be to go racing again, than to putter around the streets with a 400 hp beast. I can't even drive it to work because I live 3 miles from the office and would have to leave it on the street all day. Yes, if I had the money to keep it AND race then there would be no issue. But I don't, and I know that I will miss it BECAUSE it is such a terrific performing car.

BTW Bora, I do take it as a flame. Too bad that you are not astute enough to realize that I was not complaining about my car at all, but about the situation that lead me to make the decision to sell it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

My only complain was how many times I scrapped the damn front lip but I only mentioned that a couple of times... other than that, the car was completely awesome!

The stereo sucks? Does it come with stereo???? I must have missed it, I was too busy listening to the engine! a true driver's car!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:20 PM
bora
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Well, after driving it on the track, I found it to be very un-fun on the crappy and crowded roads around here. Yes, it is an awesome car, and I knew exactly what I was getting into, but I didn't realize how much more important it would be to go racing again, than to putter around the streets with a 400 hp beast. I can't even drive it to work because I live 3 miles from the office and would have to leave it on the street all day. Yes, if I had the money to keep it AND race then there would be no issue. But I don't, and I know that I will miss it BECAUSE it is such a terrific performing car.
Interesting, I thought we had the worst roads around the country (DOT survey) here in Northern CA, I guess I will have to come check out the roads over there. Roads in Mass. were certainly better than Northern CA for sure.

As far as parking the car outside during the work day, I think of it as "It's a car"
Do I drive it to the most crowded mall in the area and jam it between two Hummers? No. But I figure, when it sits lonely in the garage, then neither the car nor the owner is getting any fun. So if it needs to be parked outside, then be it.

This was not directly intended at you, but I guess your post was the last straw for me and I read it at least 4 times before I posted this (2-3 days later). And believe me, if you read your own post with a neutral eye, you will find that it is all about justifying your sale of the car by saying how the car was bad, it was no fun on the street etc.

The fact is that the car DID NOT fit your needs/personality. It was not bad, it was not unreliable, and in engineering we call this "functioning as designed."

I hope you enjoy the Boxster S/M3 convertible. Frankly, even those are too fast for your needs, I think you should look at an 06 Miata. At least in that car, you can keep your foot down for more than a few seconds at a time and still stay under legal limits. Yep, it is not made in germany, but still a fine car nevertheless.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
The reasons everyone gives for selling are the reasons I bought it.

Rich.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I came from a E36 with coil overs, 525/600lb springs, etc,e tc, etc,....

The GT3 is a smoother ride than my M3 was with all that track stuff. I thought the M3 was a decent ride like that though....so a stiff ride aint a factor for me!

I love this car, and like most all of you, I drive it as much as i can and am always smiling afterwards.... Also, when I have to go out of town, I can hardly wait to jump back in "Sid" and wind him up. So much fun....I think I shall keep it forever (or till 100K when the ext. warr. runs out!).
Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bora
Interesting, I thought we had the worst roads around the country (DOT survey) here in Northern CA.
I think we do...........our roads (CA) SUCK.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bora
if you read your own post with a neutral eye, you will find that it is all about justifying your sale of the car by saying how the car was bad, it was no fun on the street etc.
No, that is incorrect. I never said that the car was bad. In fact, I loved all the noises, and clatter and all. It just became apparent to me how ridiculous it was to drive a car like this on the street, so far below it's potential when it really begged to be driven/raced on the track. And since I can't afford to write-off 90K (I'm glad that you can) it made no sense to keep it to race it. If I could, I'd still have it. When I have that kind of "disposable" money, I'll buy a cup car. Right now, $45K is about my limit of risk.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread has more to do with bringing back the feeling of why we bought the car in the first place. I agree with Bora, there have a been a lot of ugly "downer" threads about what the GT3 is and it was getting a little "old lady-ish" on here and it isn't just direct to anyone member or poster.

It just sounds so moronic to hear guys complain...complain about a GT3? - are you kidding me?
I can understand complaining of a Toyota Tercel, but complaining about a car that is as capable as a GT3. We need to give our heads a shake.

Bora, thanks for the kick in the ***, I think we all needed it.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:54 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Funny, I drove my RSA (which is much slower than a GT3) last Sunday and the traffic was so bad that I thought to myself if the track didn't exist I would sell my car. NOVA has terrible traffic and plenty of cops. Second gear can get you in trouble. The only time I drive my car anymore is to the track or my mechanic. On the road it is more frustration than enjoyment. It has nothing to do w/ a rough ride or my car being loud. I like that.

Quick Reply: (ex)GT3 owners stop whining