Sponsored by:

Clunking sound coming from front coilover

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Joe Yang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound coming from front coilover

I've been hearing this annoying clunking sound every time I turn the steering wheel as I come out of drive way. I took the GT3 to the dealer and was told it's normal to hear this sound as it's coming from the coilover springs. Has anyone experience this? Is this normal and not to worry about? Thanks.

----------------------------
Joe
'04 GT3 white
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, white
'05 BMW 325i, white
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like your sway bar may be loose. Stock suspension springs are not known to make clunking sound. Non stock springs can have that problem, but it would likely be every harsh bump you would hear it, not just the driveway.

Good luck,

JCM
Old 01-20-2006, 02:39 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did have noises on my stock springs. If the car is lowered to Euro specs or below that on the stock suspension, the space between the lower spring perche and the spring top (front axle) is larger than the springs at full extension. The car will have noises on the suspension.

Loose drop links are a very common cause for noises.

If the sound becomes annoying, you might be another victim of a too raw street car
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

i have those noises when the car was stock and continues to have them with moton.
it's the charm of GT3.
stop driving it on the street, come with me to laguna seca 1/30.

you need mpsc or corsa though. driving it on street tire is not fun with gt3.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunking I comes from a loose sway bar or torsion bar.
The noise that the dealer is calling "normal" I think is the "boing" sound that the springs make on the GT3 if its been sitting for a long time, mine does that too, that is normal - but I would definitely check the clunk.
My clunk didnt occur everytime I hit a bump, the techs had a hard time finding what was causing it but they found it.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:20 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

I recently had a loose knocking sound from the front left corner. I figured it was a loose sway bar, but when I put the wrenches to them, they were already tight. I took it in to the dealer, and they diagnosed it as coming from the inside of the front left strut, and replaced it under warranty. Weird, but now the sound is gone--

Geoff.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Joe Yang
Intermediate

Clunk, boing, doin...anyway it sounded like tension releasing from a rod. I do believe it's from coilover spring as the wheels turn somehow moves the coil slightly from the metal bushing contact (not rubber) and makes that sound. The dealer checked everything and re-torqued all the joins including sway bar. I am starting to ignore and get use to GT3 noises...

Joe
'04 GT3 white
'05 BMW 325i, white
Old 01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe... good idea. If nothing else go to Laguna and watch and listen to Mooty and friends. Maybe get a lap or two in the right seat.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have recently noticed that when I go over a small imperfection (manhole cover) that is maybe a 1/2" deep/tall I hear a definite "Thunk" as the suspension compresses. Not subtle and seems to be more prevalent if only one tire hits it. I was assuming this was something loose in the swaybar but what do you guys think? (Not talking a "boing" or spring related noise here)

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:25 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There are numerous items on the front that seem to get loose. First is the sway bar drop links. This can be either the upper or lower nut on the drop link. IF it loosens a couple of times, replace the nut as they are a locking nut. Next is the drop link mount itself. This is attached to the front strut. Many times this will loosen up. You have to tighten this with the sway bar drop link centered in the opening via the large ring on top of the mount. The next is the strut to the upper mount. I have seen these loose and making a lot of noise. A little tightening and it is fine.

As a matter of practice, I check these on every GT3 that comes into the shop for service. More often then not, one of these will be loose.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Joe Yang
Intermediate

Bob, thanks for your information! I don't know about other GT3 owners but how many of you actually work on your cars (besides changing pads & wheels)? I took the car to local Porsche dealer twice and they found nothing wrong. They assured me that the noise is normal for GT3. If you were me, would you take to another dealer for second opinion?

Contrary to typical new car owner experience, I start accepting noises are simple fact of life for GT3. I know Mooty, I've been warned... So the only noise I hear nowadays is my wife's nagging in the car.."You spend how much on this car..? Your car is broken you hear...&#@!"

Think I better get a Cayman for us and keep GT3 for my personal use

Joe
'04 GT3 white
'05 BMW 325i, white
Old 01-20-2006, 09:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

You spend how much on this car..? Your car is broken you hear...&#@!"
Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
You spend how much on this car..? Your car is broken you hear...&#@!"

trade it in for a new one...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:49 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Joe I would take it to another dealer. I had a GT3 that had 145 miles on it in the shop. The guy drove from the dealer to me to drop it off. It had a noise coming from the front suspension. He wanted us to fix it as he never wanted to see the dealer again. Turned out that the lock collar on the sway bar mount was not just loose, but 1" about the mount on the threads. The car made a terrible noise with it like this. Now this was a car that was supposedly, checked at port entry, and checked by the dealer before delivery. NOT>>> FInd a good dealer and have them look at it.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a few rattles and clunks here & there - I love to hear the LSD clicking away!!

But I do have one strange clunk coming from the front RHS - it almost sounds like its coming from inside the instrument binnacle. Its only on the RHS, so I doubt its supposed to be there - 'll let you know if I ever find teh problem.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound coming from front coilover