Sponsored by:

GT3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 engine

Can a GT3 owner tell me a little about the engine in this car. I'm looking at one and I don't have any info at all.
Reliable
Dry sump oiling
can the engine be "chipped"
Does it come with the 4 yr warranty
frequent complaint about ?
can any P store work on them
any enlightenment appreciated.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Reliable: yes, only heard of one rms. no one blew any of them up on track that i know of
Dry sump oiling: yes
can the engine be "chipped": yes, but why? most of us can't even get to 85% of what this car can do. learn to drive it, forget chip and dip.
Does it come with the 4 yr warranty: yes, just like another garden variety porsches
frequent complaint about ? too much fun.
can any P store work on them: yes.
any enlightenment appreciated. great car for the track, POS on the street. lots of rattles but if you drive hard with helmet on, you wont hear a thing. keep the loud pedal down.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't anything a POS on San Francisco streets (except a H1); anywhere else the car is perfectly streetable, unless you have an extreme "track" set up. You may have to watch out for curbs and driveways though!

If you have an extreme track set up you should probably be looking at a Cup Car instead.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Not sure I'd want any garden variety dealer working on the engine- our local dealer is more comfortable with Pontiacs and Subarus. If it needed something major with the engine, I'd take it to a big dealer or if out of warranty, a race shop... I did let the local dealer replace one of the horns, but that was about it...
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't track mine, drive it through some great country roads on the weekend. The streets are pretty smooth, so no real ride issues there. Wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver, but people do it. A fantastic machine.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a great car! If you are in Orange or South the roads are fine. I would a pain in the *** in La traffic but not much more then any manual shift. You will be able to take advantage of the throttle when that spot opens in the lane next to you.
I drive mine every day. I do not have to commute very often. The SUV automatic is less hassle for that.
If you want it get it.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Ok - call me totally clueless. But what exactly is a "dry sump"? And why is it better?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin
Ok - call me totally clueless. But what exactly is a "dry sump"? And why is it better?
Not clueless at all, I am also curious, enquiring minds want to know?
I do know the GT3 has 5 oil pumps, and that a dry sump is better when cornering and excessive G forces are encountered in that it ensures proper oil distribution throughout the engine.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

A simple explanation...A wet sump engine holds the oil in the sump pan at the bottom of the engine below the crank. A dry sump engine has scavenger pumps that keep the sump dry. All the excess oil is held in a separate oil tank outside the engine.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
lots of rattles
Elaborate on that, do things rattle and shake in the cabin or what. Or is it suspension, floating rotors (etc).
Old 01-17-2006, 01:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Elaborate on that, do things rattle and shake in the cabin or what. Or is it suspension, floating rotors
dont take it the wrong way, i PERSONALLY dont like it on streets. but others may disagree.
on track, it's one hell of a phenomenal car.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Elaborate on that, do things rattle and shake in the cabin or what. Or is it suspension, floating rotors (etc).
Nothing rattles in mine.

The car has noisy brakes that work great. It trolley tracks on the roads here. If it even looks like a bump or a dip you have to crab across it. The engine has solid mounts of some kind so there is about 3.x the engine feel in the cabin compared to the 993tt. The LSD and steel synchro's let their presence be known. Mine has the euro seats making for practiced entry/exit.

That said, if 400lbs or so lighter and you feel it. The shifter is far better and tighter than any Pcar I've ever driven. It's quick as a whip with instant response >4K. I think the debate on these cars for the street kind of comes down to if you consider the above charactor or bad manners. Me, I think it has a ton of character and I like it.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Larry asked about the GT3 engine

Reliable - Very!
Dry sump oiling - Yes it is the same engine as in the Cup Race Car.
can the engine be "chipped" - Perhaps, doubt it is of any benefit.
Does it come with the 4 yr warranty - Yes.
frequent complaint about ? - None so far.
can any P store work on them - Routine work, sure.

Most GT3 are tracked (like mine) and they stand up very well. Haven't heard of anyone having an engine problem even at 20,000 miles of track use. Fabulous motor.

Chipping pays off on Turbo engines, on a normal engine I doubt a chip would accomplish much. The GT3 engine makes a lot of power for its size. The rev limit is already way up there (8200) and I would not want to push it more .. reliability goes down as the revs go up. The same engine in LeMans tune revs higher but requires a rebuild after 30 hours of use.

Best,

Regards,
Old 01-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Additional horsepower is VERY expensive on a GT3:
typical packages involve
"chipping" (not really a chip, but reprogramming of factory ECU),
some headers, mufflers and better flowing race cats) and
you will see about a 40 HP increase (380-420 as an example in PSI kit from ORTON)
The beauty of the GT3 is the perfect synchronization of its engine, chassis, gearbox, etc.
which far exceeds the capabilities of any average to better than average "track guy"..
Man do they sound cool with headers though...

Marty K.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloth
A simple explanation...A wet sump engine holds the oil in the sump pan at the bottom of the engine below the crank. A dry sump engine has scavenger pumps that keep the sump dry. All the excess oil is held in a separate oil tank outside the engine.
I don't think it even has a scavenger pump, the Gt2, Gt3, TT utilizes a true dry sump. No place for the excess oil to collect. It continously keeps the engine primed. An non-Gt3,Gt2,TT, uses what they call an intergrated dry sump. This system uses scavenger pumps. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong?

Quick Reply: GT3 engine