Sponsored by:

Temperature Gauge Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 PM
RickH2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Temperature Gauge Problems

I have been having a problem with my temperature gauge for some time on my GT2 (2003) which the dealer after 4 trips has not been able to correct.

The problem: After running from a cold start for about 10 minutes, the center dash displays "Indicator Failure" with a thermometer icon, and the temp gauge plummets to the far left (i.e. no reading), and the red high temp light blinks. Car runs rather poorly thereafter (especially at idle--bogs for a second or 2 when given gas, then goes). Sometimes the gauge will fix itself--light will stop blinking---temperature will indicate--and car starts running better, after about 10 more minutes.

Dealer action No. 1: Nothing repaired, dealer "forgot" to look at (car was brought in for another problem as well).
Dealer action No. 2: Replaced "temperature sending unit".
Dealer action No. 3: Replaced "thermostat" (this one I thought would do it).
Dealer action No. 4: Replaced "tempertaure sending unit" again; plus they noted they rechecked the thermostat and it is workinh properly.

The Dealer had the car for over one week this time; I picked up the car today, and the gauge repeated its "failure" mode again on my way home from work (today). Obviously, I will try another source for my repairs.

But any ideas? There was a GT3 thread on a temp gauge failure, with the thermostat as the solution.

Possibly there is something that the dealer does in fact correct, but after a few miles something else that is wrong causes "the correcetd part" to fail again?? A clue to the failed part is that the car is using the output of whatever is failing to control some aspect of engine operation (fuel/air ratio ?), and/or the failure causes more than just a bad gauge reading.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have the answer to your problem, but that's a really crappy dealer. Had your car for over a week for a minor problem they worked on before and then they give it back to you still not working properly? I'd be sending a nasty letter to PCNA and cc'ing the dealership.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 573 Posts

When i had the gt3 i had a simular problem but the car ran ok. they replaced the sending unit N/G the thermostat N/G and the insterment panel and then it went away. The last code was 125 hope that helps. carl
Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 PM
RickH2
Cruisin'

For anyones future reference: The other dealer solved the problem in a matter of hours. Per service sheet "The vacuum line to the transmission coolant thermostat was not connected." Once it was connected, everything is fine. Cars "electronics" detects improper warming up of vehicle, which generated what showed up as a gauge failure. The first dealer replaced three items that never needed to be replaced (under warranty)!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
ebonyrsa
8th Gear

Default Vacuum Line

Originally Posted by RickH2
For anyones future reference: The other dealer solved the problem in a matter of hours. Per service sheet "The vacuum line to the transmission coolant thermostat was not connected." Once it was connected, everything is fine. Cars "electronics" detects improper warming up of vehicle, which generated what showed up as a gauge failure. The first dealer replaced three items that never needed to be replaced (under warranty)!
Hey Rick I have a buddy that has the same problem. Can you tell me where or send me a picture (preferred) where this vacuum line is?

Marvin
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
ssigarto
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have the exact same issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Transmission cooler and it's connections sit on the drivers side of the gear box. If you've ever changed your gear oil the cooler sits directly in the way of the fill hole for the transmission fluid.

The connections to the cooler should be pretty straight forward. I had an issue where the wires broke near the temp sensor on the tranny cooler that created a similar issue so check the wires down there as well as the vacuum connections.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM
ontheloop
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue on my 2004 GT3 and it turned out to be a faulty change over valve. Really easy and cheap fix. Basically the coolant is going round the complete circuit of engine and gearbox from start up and this is not what the ecu expects so it throws a warning light.

see below its item 18

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 21.25.43.png
Views: 496
Size:  84.2 KB

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge Problems