Sponsored by:

GT3/ Seattle Ferries

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3/ Seattle Ferries

Can I use the Seattle ferries to and from the San Juans, Bainbridge or Vashon Islands without causing damage to the Cup Lip and brake air ducts on the GT3?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

how steep is the ramp?
is there enuff room 2 go up at an angle?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:50 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Someone with a GT3 that has used a Seattle ferry or try to..., needs to answer this question. I recall no problems, years ago, in a MB sedan.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
bam
Advanced

Having used the ferries quite a bit in the past (not in a porsche). It depends on a few things. It depends on some of the ferry terminals. The terminal's ramps on smaller destinations such as the San Jauns can be a bit "rough". Also it is very dependent on the tides for some of the docks. You can have steep exits and entrances due to that.

Also, if you are concerned with door dings, might not be the best idea. The parking on the ferries can be a bit tight on cars side to side. When I was in my company car with huge side molding I didn't mind. But I would be a bit more stressed if I brought my porsche. I know it sounds a bit **** retentive but to each their own.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the splitter off. That is where I peeled off my first. Getting off the ferry. If the tides are right no problem if not it will be toast. There is not enough room to get an angle. Nothing else is at risk. I have the larger Cup air ducts and have not had a problem.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bremerton ferry is a problem -- my splitter ripped off at the Seattle side last trip back. I have the cup car splitter and I've lowered the front of my car 10mm from the US height ... you should be ok if you take off the splitter.

You'd think I would learn, I've lost two of them coming off the Ferry.

I would also avoid Royal Brougham Way near Safeco Field -- I lost one there, too, going over the train tracks.

I now keep a supply of cup car splitters and fasteners around!

- curt
Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

curt... Barrier has a Cayman.... Hope to see you sometime this winter at Pacific... If not maybe next week for the Team Seattle event.

Do break the splitters? I have had mine come off but I have been able to put it back on.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:28 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Some ferry ramp tricks:

1) Sometimes you can get some very steep approach angles even though it might not appear so.
2) If the wheel is on full lock then the castor angle will raise the cars height quite a bit.
3) Sometimes you can get up or down a ramp backwards where you cannot make it going forward.
4) some rags or rope or something similar placed just before the ramp can often give you just enough lift to make it over without catching.

It helps if you have someone along who can get out of the car and supervise first-hand if you don't feel comfortable with the crew's directions.

Stephen
Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Thanks for the information. My concern is focused on two possible home sites for a corporate move. Lopez Island to Anacortes, and Vashon to Point Defiance, Tacoma. Another issue I had not thought much about when we started this hunt; is what do you do with a GT3 on a small island in the Sound or Straits? This is inaddition to the problems/damage incurred getting to and from your house and the Seattle area by ferry.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
bam
Advanced

The ferry traffic could be tough on ground clearance. But in regards to areas for driving I think you will be pleasantly suprised. The Bremerton track is near Tacoma and the porsche club holds drivers skills and auto cross days there. A bit farther away is the Pacific Raceways but still within driving distance. Plus the penninsula and surrounding mountains make great excursions for your car.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

If you need to commute daily the islands can be a real pain in the ***. Friday ferry waits can be 3-5 hours.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i would rent something for a bit in the islands and make sure you are up for the commute. either that or have a place in seattle to stay at when it's not practical to get home (as mentioned above the ferries are not 100% reliable and the commute on I-5 durring rush hour is a killer
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 AM
JMcD
Instructor

Rob,
What you suggested is what will most likely do. We do have a place in Sammamish if we care to stay, and then for a time, rent near work. I have a ML and a 325i for the commute. The GT3, and even the SC, will have some influence where we buy. We can live anywhere in the Metro area, but if it restricts the use of my Porsches, it's no sale.

Quick Reply: GT3/ Seattle Ferries