Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 modifications, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 11:35 PM
bam
Advanced

Default GT3 modifications, thoughts?

I will be looking at a GT3 for purchase being shipped to the northwest in the next couple of weeks. Has a few mods and wanted to get feedback and thoughts. Original owner changed to Fabspeed exhaust, headers/porsche oem, short shift/oem. Looked at the technical section of rennlist and review seemed somewhat favorable on the fabspeed exhaust, except for possible chip problem? ie; running rough etc..

Couldn't find much data on oem headers and oem short shift kit. My understanding is the AI design did the work. Couldn't find much info on them after google search.

Although mods are minor, just a bit wary of modifications on a fairly new car. Also not sure what that does to the warranty.

Car will be driven about 4-5 track days/year, spirited drives on northwest roads. Track skills, early intermediate.

Love to hear any thoughts, thanks
Old 11-28-2005 | 11:44 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

So basicly the car just has a fabspeed muffler and everything else is OEM??

Sounds fine. No need for a chip. No effect on anything with CAT back muffler system.

Warrenty is in FULL effect expect for the mufflers as those are not Porsche parts.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:03 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll give you a few thoughts....be very respectful of the car and the power, especially as an early intermediate driver. It is a wonderful and very predictable car, but not if you don't have the experience to know EXACTLY what it is going to do, and how to catch it when it does. Otherwise, you may be meeting a lot of new friends at the track like Mr. Guard Rail and Mr. Tire Wall, and Mr. Tow Truck Driver. Honestly, just be careful with it, and even when you feel like you understand it, you really don't. It needs a lot of seat time, and this forum has quite a few examples of people who didn't heed this.

On a more positive note, they are great cars. I hope that you will love yours as much as I do mine.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-29-2005 | 12:11 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

If only doing 4-5 a year I stay stock cept brake pads+fluid/r-compounds and suspension tuning. As you progress start adding safety stuff. Some say start with street tires but I say R-compounds really transform the car out of the box. Regards. Mike
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:22 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

As Larry said... the car demands attention. Get it right, and the car is very rewarding. Seat time is the key here... with good instruction at your favorite track.

If you are an intermediate tracker and new to the GT3, I would seriously advise against R-comps. This car is darn fast bone stock out of the box. Learn your machine on street tires, add some safety gear, and then when you're comfortably sliding through corners... jump to the R-comps and start all over again!

The Fabs are cat-back. I run 'em with no issues and they sound great.

Have fun out there!
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:53 AM
bam
Advanced

Thank you for the feedback. Yes.., I recognize the need to respect the GT3. Drove one last fell and really enjoyed it. This will be my 3rd porsche. Moved from 88 cab to 97 C4S and soon GT3, so definitely a step up. Thought this would be a great car to "grow" into and keep me interested for a long time.

Also, appreciate feedback on the mods to the GT3 I am looking at.
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:19 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it's chipped, just figure that, if needed, you have no warranty on related or attributable damage.

The dealer doesn't determine warranty coverage, Porsche does; and they know what problems chipping leads to, so they are alert.

I think it's silly to buy a "chipped" car thinking you'll be able to slide it past the dealer, remember Porsche butters their bread (Allocations, etc).

OTOH, if you like the "chipped" version, there is nothing wrong with that either..so long as love isn't blind.
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:49 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Reviews on the short shift mod are mixed at best, since the GT3 already comes with shorter throws (done at the tranny). But you can easily take it back to stock if not to your liking.

The exhaust mods should be fun and won't impact the warranty. Also easy to swap out if not your cup of tea.

I do DE's on the PS2's and have a lot of fun. It's a good way to learn the car and move up to MPSC's when the time is right (next year for me).

I've got GT3 seats, Tequipment bar with cross brace & 6 point Schroth harness. I'd recommend this set-up for you too. Very safe and holds you in place so you can focus on driving.

I've also switched to RS-19's, better fluid & Devek 2-piece rotors. It's nice to have, but the stock stuff will work fine for your needs too.

There are tons of mods for these cars, but they're pretty good right out of the box (just make sure you get a proper alignment done). Do a few DE's, learn the car and then decide what upgrades are right for you.
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:30 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bam
Thank you for the feedback. Yes.., I recognize the need to respect the GT3. Drove one last fell and really enjoyed it. This will be my 3rd porsche. Moved from 88 cab to 97 C4S and soon GT3, so definitely a step up. Thought this would be a great car to "grow" into and keep me interested for a long time.

Also, appreciate feedback on the mods to the GT3 I am looking at.
No disrespect intended with reference to your Porsche driving skills.

The Fabs sound great on the 3, but you trade a bit of the engine shriek for more throatiness. Low end response is mildly affected, nothing annoying, and you probably gain a few hp on the top end. No CEL issues with the catback system. It should not void your warranty, but this really depends on your relationship with the dealer.

The SSK can be a bit notchy. I run it on my cab and love it. However, the 3's stock gearbox is really slick IMO. I like the gearbox the way it is.

My preference would be for safety mods first. Mods that enhance your ability to perceive the data that the car is giving your rear end and brain... such as a roll bar, race seats, harnesses, etc. I would choose these first over engine/suspension/brake mods. Like I said, this car is FAST bone stock.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

rear shock monoballs and cup car rear duel eccentric adjustible toe arms (#1)....then LWF(#2), exhaust(#3)...drop the chip idea, unless it's a Manthey header/exhaust/ecu upgrade combo (#4)....
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Guys, learn to drive the car as is. There is a tremendous amount of potential there, and all the little tweaks that everyone is spending huge sums of money on are wasted until you are at the absolute top of your game. My car is still bone stock, and I have no immediate plans to change ANYTHING.
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:57 PM
bam
Advanced

No disrespect intended with reference to your Porsche driving skills.

The Fabs sound great on the 3, but you trade a bit of the engine shriek for more throatiness. Low end response is mildly affected, nothing annoying, and you probably gain a few hp on the top end. No CEL issues with the catback system. It should not void your warranty, but this really depends on your relationship with the dealer.

The SSK can be a bit notchy. I run it on my cab and love it. However, the 3's stock gearbox is really slick IMO. I like the gearbox the way it is.

My preference would be for safety mods first. Mods that enhance your ability to perceive the data that the car is giving your rear end and brain... such as a roll bar, race seats, harnesses, etc. I would choose these first over engine/suspension/brake mods. Like I said, this car is FAST bone stock.

Cheers

I agree on safety first. The car is coming to me with the modifications already on the car. My concern was purchasing a GT3 with 2500 miles and having to change back to original if it created any warranty or performance issues. From the feedback received and what I have read, the only thing I might change back to original is the short shift. However if I purchase the GT3 I will drive it with the short shift for a while and decide at that time.

I was very impressed with the stock GT3 I drove earlier and would be more than happy starting from there and see how things progress. I realize my limits and plan on proceeding accordingly. I have participated in a few DE days and have seen the results of excursions off the Pacific Raceway track. I hope I can learn from others and be humble. :-)
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:00 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Guys, learn to drive the car as is.
well said
Old 12-01-2005 | 12:09 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

BAM welcome. I think I met you at Fordhal's. Stop by Pacific sunday. Track day with Kitch.

I took a vow not to do anything except safety for the first year. Then it was tires R compound, LWFW,moton's
I track 10-15 and autocross. I had a 2002 C2 with lots of up grades ans lots of set time.

Take it to Greg and he will set the car up. Have fun. What color?
Old 12-01-2005 | 12:49 AM
bam
Advanced

Roberga, If all goes as planned, the car I seriously plan to purchase is Red. I am going through withdrawals since I have been without a "P" car for about 4 weeks. Mine on consignment and waiting for a GT3.

Is the track day on Sunday all day? I might have time and would love to drop by. Thanks for the heads up. bob

Quick Reply: GT3 modifications, thoughts?