Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Question for PCA Club Racers:

Stock 1-I:
"Substitution of any other flywheel for a stock dual mass flywheel will count as a “prepared” change and the vehicle will progress up one stock class if it has not already done so due to other “prepared” modifications."

Does that mean a lighweight flywheel takes the GT3 out of B class?

I noticed that PCA added the A class. I sent them a letter last year requesting the addition of A class due to the Carrera GT, but also as a stock class to progress cars from B class, without punishing those cars directly into the Super classes. It's good that the PCA Club Racing organization listens to the Porsche community.

I like the weight increase in GTA (up to 3.6 normally aspirated 996s) to 2550 lbs. A good place to run a GT3 street car against the Cup cars, and still keep the street car emission friendly.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Question for PCA Club Racers:

Stock 1-I:
"Substitution of any other flywheel for a stock dual mass flywheel will count as a “prepared” change and the vehicle will progress up one stock class if it has not already done so due to other “prepared” modifications."

Does that mean a lighweight flywheel takes the GT3 out of B class?
Yes. Remember (for your car) you still must run at the stock weight in the prepared class. Also, you can change the R&P, but are not allowed to change the gear spacings. I never really understood that one.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM
GT3Bob
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin,
Bob Read here.. I am also thinking about a trailer and the PCA/POC TT series next season. The west coast GT3 drivers have dramatically improved their abilities this season, so the question is, what do we do now? TT's? More? Buy a cup car so we can drive with Jack at B'willow? (not a bad idea by the way :-)

Lots of discussion here re: track vs road GT3. I am also thinking of selling my GT3 because it is EXTREMELY track worthy with Motons, monoball cup car control arms, brakes, wheels,etc, and VERY sadly, not road worthy anymore. Your comment about knowing you can get home is quite important.

BUT.. what would compare to the GT3 for a track day car, and where do we go from here? Private track days only, along with POC door to door racing? Add a full cage with door protection? Sell the car and get a ful blown race car?

A rather emotional decision as I really like the GT3. A GREAT track day car and difficult to let go of...

Bob
Old 11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Bob
Kevin,
Bob Read here.. I am also thinking about a trailer and the PCA/POC TT series next season. The west coast GT3 drivers have dramatically improved their abilities this season, so the question is, what do we do now? TT's? More? Buy a cup car so we can drive with Jack at B'willow? (not a bad idea by the way :-)

Lots of discussion here re: track vs road GT3. I am also thinking of selling my GT3 because it is EXTREMELY track worthy with Motons, monoball cup car control arms, brakes, wheels,etc, and VERY sadly, not road worthy anymore. Your comment about knowing you can get home is quite important.

BUT.. what would compare to the GT3 for a track day car, and where do we go from here? Private track days only, along with POC door to door racing? Add a full cage with door protection? Sell the car and get a ful blown race car?

A rather emotional decision as I really like the GT3. A GREAT track day car and difficult to let go of...

Bob
Hey Bob. That certainly is the loaded question of the day isn't it? Rather then sell your excellently set up GT3 why don't you keep it for another year and campaign both the POC STS and TT series (along with selected PCA events)?

In POC you would run in the NP class - I'm in NI although I may join you in NP if I do some mods. You already have a car perfectly set up with safety equipment to do those series and if you want to go on with the POC to CR (Club Racing) all you would need to do in 2006 (in addition to 4 TT's) is the two racer clinics which will likely be held in June and December. In order to do these two clinics the only mod to your car necessary (you have the rollbar, extingisher and harnesses already) is the exterior kill switch which is an easy thing to do.

After the two racer clinics you would be qualified to CR at which time it would be a good idea to get a race car. This is roughly my plan as of last night (after a lengthly discussion with my wife about heavily modifing the GT3 to a Cup spec which I've decided against doing - today anyway ).

1. Run another full season of POC: 8 STS events and 6 or 7 TT events
2. Continue to mod the GT3 for fun: Suspension and Cup toe links/monoballs being done this week. Next on the list is exhaust and things to lighten the car.
3. Do the kill switch mod and run both racer clinics and earn my POC CR License.
4. Rent a Spec Miata (at BW) and do the SCCA school and 2 events to earn my SCCA Racing License
5. Maybe rent a race car a couple of other times to get some racing experience
6. Buy a late model Cup when one is available and I can afford it (late summer to fall 2006)

1. Do all of the POC CR races with Cup car (about 8 events)
2. Continue STS events and open track days with the GT-3 sharing the car with my wife.

This is "have my cake and eat it too" plan - I want to keep the GT-3 a long, long time. I may buy other cars for other reasons (race cars, road cars) over the next 10 years but always keep the GT-3.

This plan for me is best because having only a race car will not satisfy me frequency wise as I like to be at the track at least 3 to 4 days a month. With only a Cup car this is too expensive for both tires and maintenance. If the GT-3 is paid for then keeping it for track events (and STS) is relatively cheap.

Anyway, this is my plan for today. You have a great GT-3 now - why not spend at least another 6 months with it? Get a trailer (I would suggest an enclosed one) it will increase your comfort and keep the miles down on the GT-3. The STS and TT series are a great way to try competition without actual door to door racing - give it a try.

-Kevin
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
GT3Bob
Instructor

Kevin,
Many thanks for the comments. I have been talking with Phil about next seasons plans and STS is certainly on the list of things to do for both of us. ((I have not checked the rules with STs... is it TT with open passing and large run groups?)

(BTW.. fun track day in Pahrump Sunday Dec 04 if you and your wife are interested. 2 run groups, etc. email me at bread@xmission.com if interested... Phil, Fred, Christian, and a few other fun guys will be there... TT at noon, open track after lunch on the new 3.1 mi circuit)

Bob
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,738 Likes on 2,348 Posts

This is "have my cake and eat it too" plan - I want to keep the GT-3 a long, long time. I may buy other cars for other reasons (race cars, road cars) over the next 10 years but always keep the GT-3.

I am also thinking of selling my GT3 because it is EXTREMELY track worthy with Motons, monoball cup car control arms, brakes, wheels,etc, and VERY sadly, not road worthy anymore. Your comment about knowing you can get home is quite important.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3Bob
Kevin,
Many thanks for the comments. I have been talking with Phil about next seasons plans and STS is certainly on the list of things to do for both of us. ((I have not checked the rules with STs... is it TT with open passing and large run groups?)

(BTW.. fun track day in Pahrump Sunday Dec 04 if you and your wife are interested. 2 run groups, etc. email me at bread@xmission.com if interested... Phil, Fred, Christian, and a few other fun guys will be there... TT at noon, open track after lunch on the new 3.1 mi circuit)

Bob
Bob - STS is run only at Streets of Willow. If you can get approved by Marty with an STS License (shouldn't be a problem with your experience) you can run with me in the Red group as long as your times remain in the top 20% (again shouldn't be a problem).

Red is the fastest group and has open passing with a point by. Generally there are no more then 20 cars in this group - usually less and the GT3 is faster then most exceeded only by the late model Cup cars (should any show up) and an occisionally exceptionally fast 993 Cup.

Streets is a lot of fun and the paddock is tight and friendly!

I hope you can do some STS events - we need more GT3's - we only have 5 or 6 this year. Henrik and his wife Monica and my wife Marnye and I have a great husband/wife "competition" going - we share the cars and run in different groups.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
GT3Bob
Instructor

Kevin, thanks for the info on the STS events. I do have a PCA Zone 8 TT license... Is this different than the STS certification? Also, do you have Marty's email address?

Timewise, I am within 5% of the top TT times for our class, so I am not worried about that. Likewise open passing with a point is not an issue... safe and fun.

I am very much looking forward to some competitive timed events. It's also nice to know the people behind the wheel... I'll see you soon.

Bob
Old 12-01-2005, 05:02 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 653 Posts

Bob,

Yes it is. You should be more then ok to do the STS series. I would attend a POC event and get a TT license for POC. The TT is actually a step above the STS as far as POC is concerned.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Kevin,

I'd really hate to see you convert your GT3 into a cup car because it's so nice. My wife saw your car at the January STS event and couldn't believe how nice looking the GT3s were. She liked it so much that she said she wouldn't mind if I traded my 993 C4S for one!

I think the RS America would be a great option and then you'd have the best of both worlds. Or perhaps you could pick up a Carrera and convert it into a really nice V3 car? Anyway, good luck with your decision and I hope you & JR have a great time at Willow this weekend.

Rich
Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... perhaps something like this? I am well into the 2700s and keeping a full leather interior.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by 911
Kevin,

I'd really hate to see you convert your GT3 into a cup car because it's so nice. My wife saw your car at the January STS event and couldn't believe how nice looking the GT3s were. She liked it so much that she said she wouldn't mind if I traded my 993 C4S for one!

I think the RS America would be a great option and then you'd have the best of both worlds. Or perhaps you could pick up a Carrera and convert it into a really nice V3 car? Anyway, good luck with your decision and I hope you & JR have a great time at Willow this weekend.

Rich
Rich,
Had a talk with my wife after the event this weekend at WSIR (BTW - new track record for the NI class, 1:31.788). After being surrounded by Cup cars this weekend I'm pretty ramped up about getting one and she agrees. So we decided together to allocate the funds early next and year and the search will begin for a good 03 or 04 (hopefully) or a suitably updated 01 or 02.

After the Cup arrives Marnye gets primary use of the GT3 so she is enthusiastically supporting the plan. Pretty good "marketing ploy, eh?"
Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey, Kevin:

Congrats on a very good time & new track record yesterday! Great job!

Wow, it sounds like you & Marnye are in a win-win situation!! Again, excellent job out at Big Willow over the weekend.

Rich
Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Kevin,

Nice weekend! Wish I could have been out there to race with you guys. I hope to see you on the 13th!

JCM
Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
I remember you mentioning this. Any idea on how to get in touch with him?

Peter is from Vancouver but the shop that did his cup is in Portland. He is a super nice guy and the conversion is immaculate... I love the graphics he did on that car as well. You can contact my PCA region ( Vancouver) for his contact info.

Quick Reply: Converting a GT3 to Cup car specs