Sponsored by:

ECU Remapping for SMF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:00 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Remapping for SMF?

I just had the single-mass flywheel installed and my mechanic has had the car out saying what a difference it makes. He also said though that it does have a tendency to stall at low rpms and that to get around this, I need to have the ECU remapped (at a cost of about $1k). Good news is that it doesn't take too long to do this and the result will push the car to 400hp.

Anyone else with the SMF have their ECU remapped and/or experience stalling at low rpms?

If this has been discussed in another thread, point me in the right direction.

DF
Old 10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This topic has come up recently. Search is your friend.

But to answer your question, you don't need to do anything to the ECU when using the SMF in the GT3. Only the older cars required an ECU update to prevent stalling.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sloth
This topic has come up recently. Search is your friend.

But to answer your question, you don't need to do anything to the ECU when using the SMF in the GT3. Only the older cars required an ECU update to prevent stalling.
Thanks. Just did a search as you suggested. There seems to be some debate though as I read through the threads over the last year. Some saying you need it, while others saying you don't.

I guess if you're car isn't stalling you don't need it, and if it is you do? Mine is an '04 GT3 with June production I believe.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did the install for you?
Fiorano?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is a 7/03 build and I don't have any stalling issues with the SMF. It was reported in Excellence that the RS street car has software optimized for the SMF with more aggresive fuel and timing to take advantage of the quicker revving engine. Is your engine actualy stalling out with the SMF?? The stalling issues I know of are in the early 911/964/993... have not heard anything about it in the GT3.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RR
Who did the install for you?
Fiorano?
Yes...and I bought it from Austin at DEVEK.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There is no requirement to have the ECU remapped. I have installed many GT3 SMF kits and not one of them had any issues with stalling. The car feels like it has an extra 30-40 HP. Very cool. Now if you want the MAX out of the car since it is revving much faster, then remapping will let you wring the last bit of umph out of it.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, have you driven it yourself yet, and is it stalling on you?

R
Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by viperbob
There is no requirement to have the ECU remapped. I have installed many GT3 SMF kits and not one of them had any issues with stalling. The car feels like it has an extra 30-40 HP. Very cool. Now if you want the MAX out of the car since it is revving much faster, then remapping will let you wring the last bit of umph out of it.
I've not driven it myself, so just taking his word (I trust him). He's also a better driver than me, so if he says it's a problem, it'll be even more of a problem for me.

The thing is, it's there already, I haven't had it for 3 months (yes, true) and I'm thinking I might as well get it done before picking it up tomorrow so that there are no issues.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no need for it. The ECU will adapt just fine on its own. It will take a few driving cycles and be done. Save the grand .
Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps there is something else wrong if it's stalling out.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:53 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen
There is no need for it. The ECU will adapt just fine on its own. It will take a few driving cycles and be done. Save the grand .
OK. I think you're all probably right. Drive it for a little bit and see if it adjusts on its own. I can always go back and get it done over the winter. Yes, that is starting here in a few weeks!

Thanks everyone for your input. Potentially might have saved me lotsa $$$!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There is a different feel to the clutch on engagement. You have to get use to this or you can stall the car. Maybe this is what he is referring to? But still, no reason to remap the ECU.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Due to the lighter mass of the SMF there is much less rotating energy to be absorbed and thus, will need additional energy (push the pedal a tick more than usual) to get you moving without stalling.

A heavy flywheel takes more energy to slow down and stall. Which would you rather grap, a bicycle wheel spinnning at 1000 rpm, or a truck wheel spinning at 1000 rpm?

You may also find a bit more variance in the idle speeds for the same reason: flywheel effect.

Quick Reply: ECU Remapping for SMF?