Sponsored by:

Z06 prelim

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005 | 09:29 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmex
Not my point at all. Try to buy today a 993 TT 3.6 and still 80 or 90K the reason why the GT3 have lost that much is because a bunch of POSERS bought these cars thinking they where buying a plush performance car when in reality they where buying the ultimate performance street legal race car. Wait until all the 996 GT3 get to the right hands these second time around and I can guarantee you that they will be worth more than a ZO6 5 years from today. Look at the trend last air cool car made buy porche still going strong and high 993. Last GT3 with full adjustible suspenction and no electronic help of any type but ABS will be worth some money. Cars are the worst investment in the world but if you are going to spend your money on them just make sure you minimise your losses at least that is my philosophy
That is my point.

I think GT3 prices will firm up . I agree a lot of guys bought them cause they thougt it'd be cool and have more a notion of posing than driving...
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:12 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

my car is window because i ordered the car from Kerbeck's a year ago. they are a fine, honest dealership. i was told i was 50th in line but pikers would drop out and sure enough my car was about the 20th one delivered in all of USA. they are huge and get 100 z06's where most dealers get 1-5.

i ordered another from lone star chev in houston, and they're trying to jack me for over window or move back in line, but my wife doesnt care to wait until jan.. she might just like it better than the CT.

as for "losing your ***", you must be kidding, the entire car is pocket change so who gives a f/k? the real guys who are losing their *** are spending big $$$ on Ferrari's and porsches, much of which is WASTED compared to facing reality and getting a Z06.

I drove it down the mountain on dry roads yesterday and over to my son's football game: what a blast. handling is awesome, grip unbelieveable, and when you acually use the pedal to the floor it is sickeningly fast. like a GT2, even hammering up the mountain, you really cant use all this car has for more than a few seconds.

drilling it on the freeway is highly amusing that whoosh push in the back that's even more immediate than GT2....

my 12 year old loves it, says it's the coolest car we ever had, much better looking than 430, and i must agree. when you see the thing it hangs together in unity rather than looking pieced together like the 430. the overall quality is excellent and the performance is the best you can buy up to what, 330 for a CGT with massive repair cost potential.
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:26 AM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by watt
my 12 year old loves it, says it's the coolest car we ever had, much better looking than 430, and i must agree. when you see the thing it hangs together in unity rather than looking pieced together like the 430.
Drop this line over on F-chat would you.........I want to see the reaction.

I will ask again, as maybe you missed my ? on page 1. Have sparco, recaro and the like already made brackets and sliders that will work on the C6. You mentioned getting new seats. I'm going on Sat. to look at one. TIA
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:27 AM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

nmex, based your arguements, the Z06 looks like the better "investment" to me. Quite simply: Less of a loss after the first year. I just purchased my GT3 with 2800 miles, 13 months old, and the depreciation was over 32k from the original sticker price. that 8k don't seem so bad now does it?

However, I don't purchase my cars that way. I purchase them because I want them, and because they are fun. That's why I have a Z06 and a GT3 in the garage. Head over to www.z06vette.com if you'd like to see a pretty comprehensive first hand review of the two cars.

Just because a competing car is more economical and faster, but is missing a P badge does not mean it's a bad car.

They are cars man! Love each one for what they bring to the table! And the Z brings quite a bit to the table if you can get past badge zealotry.
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:37 AM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Man I don’t know, I know that all the numbers look god but lets talk about resale value on an American car. Couple of my co-workers have 05 C6 corvettes and they have lost there *** on them. Just last week one of them was trying to trade it in for another car and he was all ready about 7 or 8k upside down. My other friend lowered the car ( to reduce body roll and yes it was done at a professional shop and yes he has more corvettes than since) and know all the bushings are gone and he needs to replace all the suspension due to the fact that Chevrolet will not sale him just the bushings .

SO with all these said I just hope you guys don't loose you *** on these new car. Still don't know any one that has moved from German, British and Italian to American car and didn't regret it. I will see you guys in August or Sep next year turning in these ZO6 for a 997 GT3 and loosing allot of money.
I think you're way off on this one. purchase price on the Z06 is low and I think the actual depreciation dollars will be low too. I know lots of guys that paid low 50's for a Z06 and it's still worth mid 30's 3 years later. I think that is pretty good. The BIG haircuts are in the high end cars. Look at the clip people have taken on 550's, Z8's and a long list of others. That gets to be real money

I also do know many people who bought a previous generation Z06 and have not gone back to Pcars. The realities are that they are damn fast with monster torque. I've driven a new model and they should not be underestimated in either quality or performance.

As context, I'm pretty much agnostic. I like things that have an on/off switch and go fast. I always vote euro though. I've had 12 911's and long list of things from Bavaria.
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:38 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Drop this line over on F-chat would you.........I want to see the reaction.

I will ask again, as maybe you missed my ? on page 1. Have sparco, recaro and the like already made brackets and sliders that will work on the C6. You mentioned getting new seats. I'm going on Sat. to look at one. TIA
Gary at hardbar.net -- tel. 603.682.8073 makes rails that fit those for z06 and has harness bars etc. sube sports also recommends him [dealer for cobra in LA] for rails

many of the fchat guys are pretty defensive and are still drinking the koolaid. some are well aware that F's price/performance just got hammered.
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:51 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
Gary at hardbar.net -- tel. 603.682.8073 makes rails that fit those for z06 and has harness bars etc. sube sports also recommends him [dealer for cobra in LA] for rails

many of the fchat guys are pretty defensive and are still drinking the koolaid. some are well aware that F's price/performance just got hammered.
Watt,

Thanks for the initial impressions of your new toy. Any pics?
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:56 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Watt, what color did you get? Post some pics , inside and out when you get a chance.
Old 10-26-2005 | 12:00 PM
nmex
Instructor

Hell don't get it, can’t believe my eyes. Is not just about bang for the buck is about being exclusive as well and know you are truly driving a car that has some real heritage. Look, it just took GM almost 20 years to catch up with the European market. I don’t know about you guys but I rather have my AP Royal Oak on my wrist than a Timex. Call me snob if you will but there is something about enjoying what you work for and being exclusive. Still today I go to car shows and car fanatic meets here in Austin and people tend to draw more attention to my car and Ferraris than all the Vets!

Hell we are talking bang for the buck then NOBEL will be the way to go. Same price as a ZO6 and faster on the track than a Enzo.

I am out you guys enjoy your cars.
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:40 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

O.K. Porsche has the mystique, history, and all the rest. But after hearing Watt say, "I drove it down the mountain on dry roads yesterday and over to my son's football game: what a blast. handling is awesome, grip unbelieveable, and when you acually use the pedal to the floor it is sickeningly fast.... And...."like a GT2, even hammering up the mountain, you really cant use all this car has for more than a few seconds." And...."shreds GT2 in accel 0-100 7s vs 8.9s, and larger gap your speeds." You've got to be kidding me, I'm sold. I called my Chevy guy. Can you imagine based on Watt's review what that car would do after it gets back from Lingenfelter? Scary. I'm in.
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:45 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Nmex, now you are talking. I can understand the heritage and prestige of a porsche. Let's just say that the GT3 get's many more WOW's! and looks than my 04 Z06. I won't even argue with you on that, because, well, you are right!

Oh - before I forget: SNOB!!! hehehe... But before you go off on me, just realize that I am a snob too - I get a thrill when people ask me about the GT3 or the Z as well! And again, the GT3 get's way more comments than the Z. GRIN!

But when you start the tired line of $$'s - I hate to say it, but the corvette is a better investment $$ wise. Quite simply - you are not at as much risk as with the Porsche in losing depreciation dollars. So when you attacked with that line, ya got my dander up.

Cheers, and don't go away miffed! We're all car buffs here.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:11 PM
Woodster
Drifting

OK, I give, the car sounds fricking AWESOME. I want one!!,
but I can't (wife) afford both so I will stick with my 996TT, which I
love every single time I get behind the wheel.
Watt, thanks for the initial, early review and post pictures of your yellow car!!
MK
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hell we are talking bang for the buck then NOBEL will be the way to go. Same price as a ZO6 and faster on the track than a Enzo.
The Noble cost 50% more than the Vette (but I'd rather have the Noble).
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:58 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Since Watt doesn't keep cars over 10,000 miles, I think the Vette is a good choice for him (King of pump and dump).

The last Vette I drove that had over 30,000 miles on it was toast. I hope the quality on this one is much better, because I rather collect and keep than trade. Sounds like a great car - make mine Black or Yellow.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:59 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hey Watt,

Welcome to the " DARKSIDE" !!!

Trust me.... The guys that "Track" their cars will have a higher opinion of your new C-6 Z06.

Quick Reply: Z06 prelim