Sponsored by:

GT3 to GT3RS conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 08:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 to GT3RS conversion questions

I might be getting sick or something, but with so many pictures of the GT3RS on this board, now I want one really bad.

My question is: Am I missing something on the conversion list below? I'm assuming on getting a low mileage 2005 White GT3 with PCCB.

- Lightweight Flywheel
- GT3RS suspension components (uprights, controls arms, wheel carriers, etc)
- GT3RS hood
- GT3RS rear wing
- GT3RS front bumper and center radiator relocation kit
- GT3RS Full Cage
- GT3RS decals
- Blue Seat belts and blue wheels
- GT3 Seats
- I don't like the Alcantara on the steering wheel/shifter/handbrake. It wears pretty fast.

Any ideas on where did they save 45 lbs (2998lbs GT3RS vs. 3043 lbs GT3), even though the RS has a full cage?. I know the flywheel saves 20 lbs, but that cage should add like 50 lbs at least.
Old 09-13-2005 | 09:04 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

-Also for LHD RS no glovebox.
-Blue stitching on shifter/wheel (my alcantara is looking good at 6k btw).
-No rear speakers (does GT3 get them I forget?)
-No leather on dash.
-Delete side airbags.
-No underseal.
-Supplementary air scoop under rear wing.
-Plastic rear screen.
-Removal of all soundproofing (according to Porsche web site - I believe GT3 still has a little?)
-Porsche claim dashboard has been lightened. Not sure how.
-Fire extinguisher in passenger foot well.
-White painted centre console (RS option - nice to have).
-White painted cage (option again).

I did see debate on this, but are the pick up points for the suspension really in the same place?
Also seem to recall some mention of a sports clutch, but not 100% that wasn't a magazine making it up.
What about seam welding some of the shell? Can't remember if this is done on either model, but pretty sure it is on the RS?

Its going to cost a fortune!

p.s. you can still read the RS promo material if you go to the South African Porsche site. Really handy as all the other regions seem to have retired it

http://www.porsche.co.za/911/gt3rs/default.htm

Last edited by DanH; 09-13-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2005 | 09:50 PM
DCLee
Pro

Gee, I thought I was the only person crazy enough to attempt this...

First off, I believe that the 2,998 lbs. figure is for an RS with a 90%-full fuel tank-- do the math @ -6 lbs. per gal. of gasoline to get the car's weight empty.

I saved close to 200 lbs. on my RS Evo conversion (I upgraded the suspension considerably from RS-spec), despite fitting a custom rollcage. A big part of the savings came from an insanely light exhaust system in Titanium. Lighter wheels help a lot, as does the LWF mod, the hood, swapping out the seats, etc.

You guys basically have the parts list down, but the suspension mods are a little more complicated than they look and availability is an issue. (Also: the factory RS has "flow-optimized heads," i.e., a port & polish job, and maybe a balanced crank and cleaned-up case, not sure on the latter). The Motronics is tweaked with a little more aggressive fuel and timing curves, and the spark plugs are different.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone (pretty damned close)

Last edited by DCLee; 09-13-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2005 | 10:18 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Where did you read about the flow optimised heads? It does tally with our experience here though, as uk dyno tests seem to show our RSs making 400bhp as opposed to the quoted 381. Can't see any mention of it though anywhere official though.

Are you saying Gert's RS suspension setup pack isn't correct then? :

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96175.htm

Damn I'm glad I can just buy the real thing. The cost of that parts list is astronomical.
Old 09-13-2005 | 10:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

On the suspension pick up points. . . I asked about this in another thread. From what I found out afterwards, the front points are the same as the GT3, but the rears are different, requiring a rear subframe swap.

Gert's kit includes all the necessary parts.
Old 09-13-2005 | 10:28 PM
DCLee
Pro

Frayed is correct. Gert's kit seems to contain all of the parts for a factory RS suspension conversion. And, yeah, the prices are steep.

My point on the suspension (sorry I wasn't clearer) is that you can go several steps beyond the factory RS setup by swapping out most of the stock control arms and links for Cup/RSR/ERP components, and by swapping out the RS shocks/springs for double- or triple-adjustable JRZs or Motons. The RS swaybars should be upgraded if you go the latter route.

I read about the optimized heads in one of the first comprehensive magazine articles about the RS-- it's in my folder somewhere as part of my documentation info. There is obviously no need to do this unless you are doing other engine work.

Count yourselves as lucky to have the RS available!

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 09-13-2005 | 11:55 PM
frayed
Race Car

dclee, do you have a recommendation on proper RSish suspension swap? I have dampers/spring and rear mounts covered (moton setup), and was thinking that I'd buy gert's setup minus the dampers and springs.

However, if it makes more sense to not buy the whole kit and use Cup/RSR/ERP components. . . this leaves me with an informational deficit and I don't have the patience to sort through a parts list. Would love to call some dude who knows his **** who can sell me a precise setup with all necessary parts.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:40 AM
mds
Pro

PET lists a few differences that might not have been mentioned above: crankcase, spark plugs, crankshaft pulley, cylinder head, lower brake ducts, front wheel carrier, bearing covers, speed sensor brackets, heat shields, front anti-roll bar mounting bushings, rear wheel carrier, bearing covers, heat shields, air baffles, control arms and flanges, rear side members, brake line supports, rear window, seal and trim frame, door trim panel, dashboard, carbon mirror housing, hood struts
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:23 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Mirrors in carbon fiber is forgotten.

Remember, it will still be a replica...
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:01 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

TBH, I think the cost of a lobby in Washington would be less than your mods.

You republican??

BTW, before buying my car, I talked with DCLee while in LA. Even at the high cost of my car, I think I got a bargain as compared to his 993 RS replica. There is so much cost involved in getting the details right.

Make your peace with it; Porsche does not think the US market is worthy of its top products
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:09 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RS Patrik
Mirrors in carbon fiber is forgotten.

Remember, it will still be a replica...
A nice replica though.

Also the carbon mirror covers are just carbon effect, its not the real stuff.
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:16 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Originally Posted by DanH
A nice replica though.

Also the carbon mirror covers are just carbon effect, its not the real stuff.
agree on both.
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:11 AM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Is there also a lexan rear window?
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:42 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Is there also a lexan rear window?
I believe so.
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:26 AM
RSA333
Racer

Default Why noyt buy one?

Folks-

There are several GT3RS, street legal cars for sale in the U.S. The one at Ferrari of Washington is overpricd at $189,000, but there are 6 more for sale (ebay, Dupont, socal) for sale at least. These are real ones, DOT certified, etc.

There may even be more for sale in he U.S.

Quick Reply: GT3 to GT3RS conversion questions