Thinking of making a change

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 07:38 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Default Thinking of making a change

Owned NSX's since '94....tried an '00 C2 Cab but it wasn't the
right car for me (bought new), now after 4 NSX's I'm thinking
the GT3 is the next step up....weekend car, driving schools some long distance runs.

Any former NSX owners who've made a switch and can give
me some insight?

I'm in market to get one pretty soon.......

Thanks,

Steve
Seattle
Old 09-13-2005 | 08:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove a 92 NSX for 2 weeks (rented). My personal observations:

- A lot of understeer.
- A bit weak on power.
- Beautiful
- Great engine sound
- Great driving position

The GT3 engine is a race car engine. The GT3 pulls strong at any rpm, the NSX pulls ok above 4,000 rpm, with a nice song above 6,000 rpm, but not remotely close to a GT3.

If you have done track days, then you know how fast the Z06s are. My car pulls away from the Z06 easily. At one track (Pocono) the indicated speed on a friends Z06 is 12mph slower than my GT3, we are about the same skill level.

Brakes on the GT3 are phenomenal, everybody that has driven my car notice that and the power delivery.

I noticed the NSX tail once you break traction on a turn was quite violent, but probably that rental was out of specs, crappy tires, etc.

Both cars feel big to me. This is more a personal preference. I feel my Celica is big as well. I do like the dimensions on the S2000 though.

The engine sound on the NSX is better inside the car, but the GT3 sounds better outside.

Steering feel goes to the GT3 hands down.

Overall control feel goes to the GT3 hands down.

FordahlMotorsports.com typically has GT3s at their shop. Greg Fordahl is a great guy, and you might be able to stop by and get additional feedback from the car.
Old 09-14-2005 | 03:20 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I drove a 92 NSX for 2 weeks (rented). My personal observations:

- A lot of understeer.
- A bit weak on power.
- Beautiful
- Great engine sound
- Great driving position

The GT3 engine is a race car engine. The GT3 pulls strong at any rpm, the NSX pulls ok above 4,000 rpm, with a nice song above 6,000 rpm, but not remotely close to a GT3.

If you have done track days, then you know how fast the Z06s are. My car pulls away from the Z06 easily. At one track (Pocono) the indicated speed on a friends Z06 is 12mph slower than my GT3, we are about the same skill level.

Brakes on the GT3 are phenomenal, everybody that has driven my car notice that and the power delivery.

I noticed the NSX tail once you break traction on a turn was quite violent, but probably that rental was out of specs, crappy tires, etc.

Both cars feel big to me. This is more a personal preference. I feel my Celica is big as well. I do like the dimensions on the S2000 though.

The engine sound on the NSX is better inside the car, but the GT3 sounds better outside.

Steering feel goes to the GT3 hands down.

Overall control feel goes to the GT3 hands down.

FordahlMotorsports.com typically has GT3s at their shop. Greg Fordahl is a great guy, and you might be able to stop by and get additional feedback from the car.
Thanks....only from my brief (1yr) ownership of the '00 C2 Cab do I hestiate
returning to Porsche. Did H&R springs and Fabspeed exhaust to that car
but as cabriolet it had lots of cowl shake and the shifter was imprecise
compared to the NSX...power was about equal; reliabilty was iffy..had
an oil leak from day 1 & some minor electrical gremlins. All my NSX's
have been bulletproof ('94 Coupe. '97T, '99 Zanardi-all were coupes, '01T). The GT3 is a sweet looking car......how's the reliabilty factor on the newer cars?
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:31 PM
jax911TT
Advanced

Hothonda;

Check you PM.

Jax911tt
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:59 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Newer GT3s don't have any reliability issues that I know of. Its a much better engine than in the more cooking 996s.

They are awesome cars and I think you'll find it a step up from your NSX if you test drive one. Rides a bit harder though.

Wondering if Jax had something bad to say, but thought he'd do it via PM so he didn't get a slating on here
Old 09-15-2005 | 09:42 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I'm glad that someone else has had this same experience. I didn't want to tell this story, but after this quote I feel I must. This past Saturday, I was coming home from Solomons Island (Southern Maryland) and as you leave, you get on this long entrance ramp that loops around onto Route 4 south. Well, just ahead of me was a yellow Z06, looked like an 04' with a very loud exhaust, chrome wheels, the works. When he saw me in the rear view mirror, he revved his engine and pulled away abruptly. As we went over the bridge, he did it again.

When we approached the traffic signal for Route 6 north, I thought to myself, "If he makes a right, the race is on." The traffic intersection has it's own turning lane that's protected by a median, so your free to let her rip. The whole time before we hit that intersection I was thinking, "This was going to be a close race." When he reached the intersection, he immediately stomped on the accelerater and took off. I was right behind him and down shifted into second and to my mild suprise, I passed him with ease and I continued to increase my distance to about two car lengths, when I saw in my side view mirror that after I blew by him, he had given up. You could tell by the noise of his exhuast/headers that he was absolutely running the car to the redline and just did not have the power to keep up.

I must say I was a little suprised. What I noticed was that when he had to shift, I was still in gear accelerating. That made a world of difference. My car kept pulling and his would die and then he would have to shift. He pulled up beside me at the traffic light, which was about a mile from the beginning of the race, where we exchanged compliments on each others cars and warned each other about the police in the area. When the light turned green, we took off again and right at the start, I had him by a good car length and I kept pulling away. I got about a 2 car length lead and he again backed off. I continued to 135 mph and he disappeared in my rear view mirror.

Just goes to show that real life experience and magazine articles are never quite the same. By the way, I had the wife with me, she weighs 130lbs. He was alone.

When I got home, I did this.

Last edited by I XLR8; 09-15-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2005 | 11:12 AM
tlark
Drifting

Hothonda,
I cannot give a complete testimony to the GT3, although I share the experience as a NSX owner for 2 years. I own a 993tt currently. if I was going to move on to another car the GT3 would be it, however I cannot tear my hands from the twins as of yet. My observations from my one drive in a 3 and passing them (grin)on the track, is its hands down better than any car you've had and the reliability issue are nearly non-existent. Don't use you cab as a example, its not even close. If you want a DE car for 2-8 weekends a year and a weekend driver I can think of non better. As a dailey driver I would need a better dental plan w/the suck roads in my area. Your roads may be better, alot of guys drive them year around in better climates.....bastards!!! There have been several outstanding cars up 4 sale in the last months, some already modded for track use w/GT3 seats, harness (etc) and I really was thinking hard about trading. No one surpasses the reliability of the Honda but the trade-off is worth it.
Old 09-15-2005 | 11:12 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Hard to believe our cars can hang with detroit muscle in a drag race. Around the track a different deal, none the less excellent!

If my wife were in the car like yours was my next thread would have been a FS SY04 GT3.

Quick Reply: Thinking of making a change