Sponsored by:

Z06 Ring Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:09 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watt
the P and F world are totally scared by this cheap little plastic car... it's OK boyz, after all it's just a chevy
Nah not really. I'm marque agnostic. I just don't really like the aesthetics of the z06 much

Hell I used to own a Noble!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I just got back from my first track day with my GT3

I've been concerned about having such an expensive track toy for some time but those concerns are now gone. What a thrill! I mean with the bypass pipes on and a race alignment I just couldn't have been happier or had more fun. What a rush! I was left with the thought that the car was perfectly engineered for just this type of driving. Sure there are compromises everywhere but the whole is even greater than the sum of the parts (and the parts are great to begin with). I expect I'll be a happy owner for decades.

Will Z06 owners be saying the same thing next year? I'll wait to hear the prevailing wisdom in a couple of years before I vote with my dollars. For now I'll stick with the adage I first read here on rennlist...

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Pick any two.

I know how my GT3 fits into that scheme. For some reason, I have a hard time believing Chevy figured out a way to have all three.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable. I don't see insecurity, I see competitiveness on GM's part and insecurity on yours. How can some of you look down your noses at the razor thin margin of time when that is exactly what racing or time trials are about?
Exactly what is GM supposed to do with the Corvette? Not take it to the track? Not put a pro driver behind the wheel and see what the outcome is? Get real. They got the time, now it's Porsche or someone elses turn to show up at the track with a car and see if they can beat it. End of story
Old 09-05-2005, 05:55 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm glad to see the GM competition and the Corvette on a diet. Our GT3 could use the diet treatment too.

As for the test... they need to do so with a real production version Z06 not a prototype.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

How many times did Walter get to drive the GT3RS?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaz
Unbelievable. I don't see insecurity, I see competitiveness on GM's part and insecurity on yours. How can some of you look down your noses at the razor thin margin of time when that is exactly what racing or time trials are about?
Very easily, because its not a race or a real time trial and its nearly an 8 min lap, so 0.1 of a second is so marginal its laughable. Especially when the comparisons are incredibly unscientific and performed under different conditions with different drivers.

Beyond that, manufacturers are attaching too much importance to this test now, and the whole thing is escalating ridiculously. Drivers are going to be risking their lifes for this pointless ***** comparison, because its the only way to get the edge with cars this fast. The fact than Jan said he never wants to do that again speaks volumes for the risks he was taking, not to mention the pics of his car attempting take off. Last I checked most people don't try to jump their corvettes. I wonder what state the car was in after it did those laps, its unlikely landing from several feet like a rally car did it much good. Hey maybe we should have a ring test where the car has to survive 10 laps. That'd put a different spin on things

Seriously good on gm for making a car that really does appear to be a contender. The whole ring thing is ridiculous though and for me it speaks of insecurity. They didn't even go out there just to set a ring time, they said they were trying to beat the RS. Thats insecurity however you want to slice it and lacks class + subtlety. If they'd had the latter, they'd have just published the figure and left us to work it out.

Anyway whatever, this thread seems to be drawing in the religious zealots so maybe I'll retire from it.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

I see your point but I disagree as there are too many inherent contradictions. The entire process of designing and building these kinds of cars is a ***** comparison. There isn't really any need for a recreational weekend racer to go out and "risk" his life on the track yet people do for one reason or another.

In anycase, I don't have much interest in the Corvette nor do I know much about it that particular car. I simply find your reaction amusing and fail to see the class in your original post. It read more like hysterical weenieism to create a word.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand why people get all bunched up over this topic (on either side). There are lots of ways to go fast on a track and dollar per unit fun probably means a shifter kart is the way to go. The Vette will be fast no doubt but for the cost of a Vette a Radical will surely get you around faster as well so why not throw that into the fray with the GT3RS, Vette, GT3, etc. Basically, who cares how fast a car is in the hands of a pro driver (porsche or chevy) at a track most here in the U.S. will never drive on.

If you want Made in America, a V8 rumble and torque out the ying yang, buy the Corvette. If you want Porsche heritage, longevity, the siren song of a flat 6, and a smaller bank account, buy a Porsche "Track Car". On any given day, they'll all lap about the same time in the hands of mere mortals and make each particular owner happy in the process.

Isn't it all about the experience of ownership and driving? How does a published lap time on the ring equate to more enjoyment for the owner? If you buy these cars to drive them, you don't care about that kind of sh&t. IMO.

Cheers again.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
JST
1st Gear

GM are obviously doing their best to make a point. Go to the homeland and throw in a good laptime at the ring. Marketing?? Testing?? A little of both I imagine.

Look at the facts though, the Vette has a great deal more power and torque which can be used to great effect at the ring. It posted a great time, so what?

I want to know how it feels, what's the experience like. Do you get a great sense of occasion??

There's more to a car than laptimes, just like DanH says there's just too much emphasis on what times are being posted at the ring.

I'm sure my F40 is slower than some Jap cars around a track but the sense of occasion and the satisfaction from the drive far outweighs the times I might achieve around a track.

The same can be said for a GT3 RS, it is an immense car, with plenty of history, pedigree, quality and respect.

IMO the Vette will always, always be the underdog.

Personally I find the Vettes, Z06, whatever, quite repulsive, the interior looks like its better placed in a toy car than a serious sports car.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
How many times did Walter get to drive the GT3RS?
I don't know answer to that but I'd like to see, Johannes Van Overbech, Lucas Luhr, one of the Mullers, Uve Altzen or Markus Palttala to take GT3RS to Nurburgring and have a try.

I have no doubt in my mind i.e Altzen would be at least 5-10 seconds faster that Walter.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:27 AM
95993RS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche snack's on Corvettes

If you all remember back in 1985....I think Porsche started this fight

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/V...51reklama.mpeg
Old 10-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Michael1
Advanced

I don't know what everyone is whining about. What, that there is a new gun in town, and his name is Z06? The Carrera GT still holds the record, and I'll bet that the responses here would be a lot different if it was a Porsche that held the 7:42.9 time, that was closing in on the rear of the CGT, rather than a lowly, underdog Chevy with two fewer cylinders, 24 fewer valves, and the engine in the wrong place.

How dare this low life brand barge into OUR exclusive Nurburgring club, uninvited no less, kicking butts on the way in, pushing and shoving his way to the front, and then have the audacity to stare down the king of all production cars! What does this unpedigreed, ramshackle young punk from the wrong side of the tracks know about racing anyway?

The Wanted Poster says his name is Z06. Better get Sheriff Porsche on the line. The crowd's getting edgy. Z06 says there is more where that came from. I think we may have a showdown brewing.

Michael
Old 10-16-2005, 11:07 PM
cigarette1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael1
... I'll bet that the responses here would be a lot different if it was a Porsche that held the 7:42.9 time ...

Michael
Ya think ? .... maybe because this is a Porsche enthusiast message board ?

G

Quick Reply: Z06 Ring Time