Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:26 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler

Do I need to change the setting/angle of the rear spoiler for track events? Is it easily adjustable? I noticed a small cover piece near the underside of the wing.

I know the Cup cars have lots of adjustment holes, and I heard of 4 or 8 degree shims for the Street GT3.

Do I need to get something like this or is the car stable enough with the standard setting?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed, just pop out the little tabs on each wing pillar and loosen the screw.

theoretically, you don't really need the shims, but they are good for making sure both sides are the same angle.

for street use, best not to mess with the angle.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:43 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

It is recommended by some club racers to set the wing at 10º+ or so. Just carefully pry the plugs under the wing off and use a #40 Torx head socket. The OEM bracket is substantial enough to not need the shims for a day DE. I liked the way the car felt on higher speed turns. Play with it! Another fun part if the car to enjoy.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:14 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
Do I need to change the setting/angle of the rear spoiler for track events? Is it easily adjustable? I noticed a small cover piece near the underside of the wing.

I know the Cup cars have lots of adjustment holes, and I heard of 4 or 8 degree shims for the Street GT3.

Do I need to get something like this or is the car stable enough with the standard setting?
depends on which track u're going to & how fast u'll be driving. the car should be set up (i.e. alignment) for specific track if u really want to do it right. the rear shim should be the last thing u'd need to worry about. probably won't feel the difference when traveling under 100mph anyways.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:47 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I do WGI, VIR, Mosport and Mt Tremblant most often.

Are there adjustment holes, or is it a continuous slot that must be alingned on each side? I've looked though my Owners Manual and can't find any info!

I just didn't know how critical the angle is. (I'm watching F1, and I know it's not as critical as it is for them!)
Old 07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

It is a continuous slot. One of the reasons they developed the shims to ensure both sides are even. Many people do run without the shims, though.

Jim
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

"It is recommended by some club racers to set the wing at 10º+ or so. Just carefully pry the plugs under the wing off and use a #40 Torx head socket. The OEM bracket is substantial enough to not need the shims for a day DE. I liked the way the car felt on higher speed turns. Play with it! Another fun part if the car to enjoy."

Can you say holy understeer? Some friendly advice - With no other adjustments to the front to balance the wing increase, you will burn up your back tires. Take advice from a professional or someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got the RS wing & the 4 degree shims. The car is more planted in fast turns and you give up some speed down the long straights. I'm happy with the setup so far, but I'm not the fastest guy out there...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Holger like vegas said need something upfront too to offset downforce on back esp with that nice wing of yours : ). I never felt back getting loose its the front part I'm feeling. Wish lip could be lower(I have cup lip) but then again for a daily driver won't work unless swap back and forth. Is there a bigger /lower lip spoiler with respect to the cup one? Regards. Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC - There was an article in Excellence that had an engineer talking about the GT3 aero and suspension. He said that if you increase the downforce on the back then the equivalent change was to lower the front ride height to increase rake. He did caution that any changes to the rear should be offset by an equivalent change to the front and this should be done by someone familiar with the "airframe". I think it was the article entitled "Track Daddy" and it was about 1.5 - 2 years years ago.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
I've got the RS wing & the 4 degree shims. The car is more planted in fast turns and you give up some speed down the long straights. I'm happy with the setup so far, but I'm not the fastest guy out there...
I run my RS wing the same way, and it does make a difference, especially in the fast esses at WGI and VIR. I don't know about it creating additional understeer. Once I get into faster 3rd gear turns, it is all about managing the grip at the back of the car. The nose will go anywhere I point it; it's the back that doesn't particularly care to follow.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

vegasgolf, thanks, understeer is what I was concerned with also but I did not feel any even on the higher speed turns (what little there is at Putnam Park). My car has the Roland Kussumal alignment with the front ride height set to 115 mm. That may have made the difference. The car was a little looser without the wing angled than my low skill level was comfortable with, especially in the faster corners. There is no doubt with the OEM alignment it would have understeered horribly. The OEM alignment pushed exiting the turns and was wearing the outside edges of the tires both front and rear. Now the tires (MPS2) are looking good, very even wear with 4 DE days so far.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 617 Posts

My ride height is 108/118mm. I have the 4 degree shim in rear and cup lip up front. Car seems to handle like a dream, especially at high speed tracks.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Larry....on the fast corners it's the back end I feel that need's more grip as I get on the throttle ...on the slower corners maybe I am braver but it understeers on corner entry....
it's seems to do different things at different speeds...corner entry ...mid corner and corner exit all seem to change.

Larry,
Why do you not run your wing at 8 deg? Do you think there is a gain with the RS wing over the stock piece.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
I agree with Larry....on the fast corners it's the back end I feel that need's more grip as I get on the throttle ...on the slower corners maybe I am braver but it understeers on corner entry....
it's seems to do different things at different speeds...corner entry ...mid corner and corner exit all seem to change.

Larry,
Why do you not run your wing at 8 deg? Do you think there is a gain with the RS wing over the stock piece.
I have my car setup for mild understeer, but it does so only at lower speeds which are unaffected by the wing. For those turns, I just trailbrake until I get rotation. For the faster turns, it is pretty neutral at the turn-in point. I think that the RS wing has a better shape, and produces what appears to be the same downforce set at 4 deg than the stock wing set at 8, with less overall drag. I haven't tried 8 deg yet, but I don't feel the need to, as I am happy with the way the car works now. I probably will try it sometime on a shorter track.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler