Sponsored by:

Used GT3 buyers' guide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Used GT3 buyers' guide?

For older cars, I always get a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) before buying. I had to do this 3 times before finding the bmw I wanted, but it saved me from dealing with the problems of the first 2 cars. However for a GT3 with 2000 miles do you guys think this is unimportant? The other issue is that part of me really wises I bought a GT3 new, so I'm really bothered by the idea that I'm not starting with a clean slate. I've heard that you can have an ECU dump done to check for over-revs. Are there any other ways to check to make sure that during the first couple thousand miles of a GT3's life it was treated as well as I would have treated it?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

a PPI is only a few hundred bux. i would do it just for peace of mind.

new car is about 15-20k more than a slightly used one. i prefer new, but the saving is substiantial for a slightly used one.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately in used car situations, and this applies to the GT3 as well, there is no magic box that will tell you exactly how the car was used. this is probably why i don't buy used.

your best bet is, as mooty said, get a thorough PPI done by a reputable entity, be it a dealer, private shop, or a trusted mechanic with expertise wtih these cars.

talk to the owner if you havent already. your basically placing your trust in their word.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:14 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Definitely get a pre purchase inspection at a good shop. You can dictate how in depth an inspection you want. You just can't beat having others looking over the car's cosmetic, mechanical, and electrical systems condition. It is hard to check so many things by yourself.

Even with a brand new car bad things happen between the production line and the showroom floor.

Quick Reply: Used GT3 buyers' guide?