Sponsored by:

Engine Compression or Leak Down Tests During a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Engine Compression or Leak Down Tests During a PPI

During a pre purchase inspection of a used GT3 with under 6,000 miles, no known problems, no engine work, and no track time...

Is there any real value in having an engine compression test and/or cylinder leak down test?

Opinions please.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing this is an 80-85K purchase, I would spend the money to get the leakdown and compression test done.

Bora
Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
During a pre purchase inspection of a used GT3 with under 6,000 miles, no known problems, no engine work, and no track time...

Is there any real value in having an engine compression test and/or cylinder leak down test?

Opinions please.
Compression testing doesn't quantify anything and the results are skewed by engine temperature.

Leakdown testing is much more useful as it offers more meaningful results and allows a competant technician to spot the source of any leakage and put that into context.

This should be done for any meaningful PPI.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Steve and bora;

Thank you. Many would say; so new, so few miles, what the heck if it runs good don't worry about it! My concern is over a healthy engine with proper power output. Most of us humans are not capable of detecting a power loss in such a powerful car hence the reliance on tests for another indication of the engine's health.

Steve, I have excellent notes on the cylinder leak down test procdure except they don't state what temperature the engine should be at. What is the proper test temperature range for the engine?

Quick Reply: Engine Compression or Leak Down Tests During a PPI