Sponsored by:

BBS Race Wheels: question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The forged aluminum centers are heavier than the forged magnesium centers. However the Al look better.

Neither centers are recommended for streets. The manufacturer specifies them as track wheels to avoid any liabilities.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand after talking with BBS, The Wood Man, and Wheel Enhancements, is that the weight between the forged Al and the Mag wheels is almost identical, with the forged Al about 1.5 lb lighter per set.

The Al centers are slightly easier to care for, as Mag is not as happy about scratches and exposure to water.

The Al centers are 50-75 dollas/center more expensive due to manufacturing costs (forging and machining)

The Al centers are certainly street worthy, but its the rim halves that tend to get bent. Race wheels have a thin gauge rim half, but have compartively stronger and thicker centers. Street wheels have to deal with potholes (stressing the rim halve), while race wheels have to deal with the stresses of high G cornering on sticky rubber (stressing the centers).
Old 06-04-2005, 12:48 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

If you end up needing spacers, bolts or studs and lug nuts, one place to consider is H&R.

http://www.hrsprings.com

- curt
Old 06-12-2005, 09:45 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Bought my gold centred ones from BBS Motorsport direct in Germany. Email them for a quote (- ask them for a discount).

For my MK1 GT3, the factory standard fitment has 5mm spacers and longer bolts than a standard 996 C2/4. Measuring the amount of thread that protrudes from the back of the BBS race wheel it is virtually identical to the amount protruding from the factory fitted Sports Design wheels.

incidentally, a friend damaged one rim at the Nurburgring a couple of weeks back and during a routine checkover during replacement found the rim bolts were not fully tight, so worth a check if you have had your wheels a few weeks - Torque is 16-18 lbs/ft apparantly.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:26 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point-- Do not assume that the Torx wheel fasteners are tight from the factory-- some actually fell out (!) of the new BBS Motorsport wheels I bought a few years ago. I like these wheels a lot, but for the track, not the street.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Pictures, yet? I am considering these.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:57 AM
nmex
Instructor

frayed are the wheels in yet. Lets see or lets meet some time this week>
Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
frayed
Race Car

There was a hangup on the wheels. They were received last week, but they had used rim halves that were dinged up, and the proper wheel bolts were not included which made them unmountable. Accordingly, they have been returned. The bolts are a 3 week wait b/c the seller is out of town, and I was never told I was getting used rim halves. After the fact, I understand that's commonplace, but this was never communicated to me. At $4800 I'm not willing to make that compromise, especially when new wheels from Gert are cheaper.

Obviously I'm disappointed, and it seems things broke down b/c of lack of proper communication.

I may pick up a set of Kinesis from a board member.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have 2 sets for a GT3 that were built for a Grand Am Cup.Hence they are 5 lug or centerlock BBS w Alu centers. Have been run only a few hours and are in excellent shape if anyone would like them. They can come with or without slicks or rains depending. I can be reached via email PM or 972 672 9986 and they are in the DFW area.

Quick Reply: BBS Race Wheels: question