Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moogles car; Did you tint your GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:16 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moogles car; Did you tint your GT3?

Seeing a pic of Moogle's car has me thinking. . . I was going to tint mine, but realized that the untinted look is somehow less spoiled. My initial thoughtson tint:

Pros:
Privacy
Cooler temps
Preserves Interior

Cons:
Reduces optical clarity,
Can't use regular window cleaners,
If it peels, fix is complicated by installation of roll bar
Tough to get a 10/10 install as the dot matrix window edging invariably leaves white border.

The difference in look is subjective, to me no-tint to me has a cleaner, more utilitarian look, and more akin to a race car with the bar installed, while tint offers more bling, notably aftermarket look.

Any thoughts on the issue? What did you opt to do? The only reason I'm asking is that the installation of a bar makes the tint job much more 'permanent'.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

[QUOTE=frayed]...more akin to a race car with the bar installed, while tint offers more bling, notably aftermarket look.QUOTE]

You said it yourself!!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 AM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Hey Jeff,

I always bitched about window tinting. Like you put it, it is more bling than anything else. Well, after seeing what the sun can do to your car and what temperatures inside your car can reach in Texas, I decided to put something on mine. I use a ceramic-based film called Huper-Optik:

http://www.huperoptik.com/Automotive...t=NaviAuto.inc

A little $$ but it reflects heats like nothing else and visibility during night it is not affected at all. Not to mention that, unlike metallic film, you can actually use your cell phone inside your car...

I think the question is: do you see yourself using the car frequently outside the track? If yes, which is my case too, then you should do it.

If you think your car will mostly make it to the race track, then no, I would not do it...

I think of window tinting as a necessary evil...
Old 05-30-2005, 11:52 AM
frayed
Race Car

Ivan, who did yours? How did you deal with the dot matrix?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note that you can also get a clear (unnoticeable, bling-free) tint if all you want is to protect your interior.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:10 PM
nmex
Instructor

Frayed looks like you are here in Austin. I did my car at custom sounds in Burnet road. I also used the ceramic base tint. The metal film formula one. They are realy good talk to Andy they do killer work I have done 4 or 5 of my cars with them and never had any problems.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:00 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Hey nmex, do you know if they do huper-optik too? Too late for me now but it is good to know for... well maybe my 997 GT3...
Old 05-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Porsche and tinted windows = NO!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:49 PM
nmex
Instructor

MR. C4
I do see you leave in the UE and I know is hot there but here in Texas aside 120F summers we get abotu 80 to 90% Hummiditi and some times you just need some extra help form the tint to keep the car cool. Where abouts in the UE you are I travel alot to Dubai for Busness

REVURGT3
Don't know if they carry that brand but I have to say Formula One has been great to me no complanes here
Old 05-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

nmex,

I'm in Abu Dhabi and we get similar temps and humidity as Texas, if not even hotter but still no tint on my GT3 but all other cars in the stable are tinted.

PM me next time you are visiting Dubai and I'll show you the magnificent Dubai Autodrome!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:48 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Simply don't. It's just not right.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:57 PM
nmex
Instructor

MR. C4 you have a PM
Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: BTW my car is not tinted at all... (added pictures). it just looks like it from the angles i took the pics.

Hiya Frayed.

As has been said, unless climate or privacy needs dicate it , i don't see a reason to tint.

Indeed, It looks nice and does give an aftermarket ' modded ' look.

One more thing to think about, don't you hate it when people have their windows tinted so much that you can't see the driver's face? - dangerous on the road when trying to figure out right of way, etc.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I find window tinting to be a very functional upgrade to my cars. Tinting makes the car far more comfortable to me. I don't have to run the AC as hard, the interior is less exposed to sunlight, and I have more privacy. I can't find the ceramic based Huper-Optic tint in my area, but I have never had a problem using metalic based tint. Its the dyed tints that will fade and turn purple on you. I have never noticed a reduction in cell phone performance from metalic based tint either. In the end, the quality of the tint job is only as good as the installer.

C2...

GT3...

Quick Reply: Moogles car; Did you tint your GT3?