Sponsored by:

Anybody trade a TT for a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anybody trade a TT for a GT3?

I'm considering trading my 04TT for a GT3. Has anybody gone that route? Please let me know how you like the GT3 relative to what you used to have.

I expect to do at least half a dozen track days a year with the car, and I enjoy driving hard. I'll probably drive it regularly, but not every day.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:33 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a CGT, you're set!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of the first TTs in 2000.I always wanted a GT3 but they were only produced in very small numbers in 1999/2000.Only one came to N.Ireland.
When the MK2 was announced it was a no brainer.The GT3 is much more involving to drive.
It is quite raw but my other vehicles are
1.1939 Jaguar SS100
2.1953 Jaguar XK120 fhc
3.Yamaha R1
So the Porsche is actually my everyday car.If you go ahead you will certainly not be bored.
Shane
Old 05-27-2005, 10:49 AM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

I love the daily use-ability and the power rush of the Turbo....GT3 is a little more track-oriented, and tricky around town with potholes, steep driveways etc. Turbo can also be a lot of fun at the track.....Also must consider 4 wheel drive as a huge plus if you get caught in bad weather. Turbo is the all weather champ...GT3 a more focused, but less flexible tool......If I can only have one Porsche, it has to be Turbo.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:01 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

Tough call, it depends on your useage.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:29 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you could not go wrong. Come out the Bremerton tomorrow, there will be at least three there for the autocross. You can drive mine. Also, June 4-5 is a double DE at SIR. I would expct at least two maybe three. You might be able to get some seat time.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:43 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ray, 2 suggestions:

1. I'll trade you my GT3 for your CGT.

2. Why don't you go with a GT2? Then you could have "both".

You already have a TT and I presume that you've tracked in it. You've been there and done that. As others have suggested, get some seat time in a GT3 and see what you think. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 AM
MWM
Intermediate

Smile Yes!

I recently made the swap from a 996TT and had my first trackday at Barber Motorsports yesterday. The GT3 is so much the better track car (stock vs. stock). Only thing I've done is a race alignment and RS ride height setting and added Pagid RS-19 pads front and rear.

Spun the car once (didn't hit anything -- whew!) and came off the track that session to find 56psi in my rear PS2s (idiot). Lowered tire pressures and all was well. I'll put it to you this way . . . on the second session out I pulled a lap time 10 seconds faster than I did in my turbo, without knowing the car very well at all. But that's only half the story. In feel, it's a way different game too. The turbo wanted to be manhandled around the track, but the GT3 wants to be delicately led, like a ballroom dancer. Took me a while to smoothen out my steering inputs because I had gotten into a bad habit of chucking the car into the turns.

For me, the GT3 is worth $25k more than my turbo was (not the other way 'round, as the window stickers indicated). Even if I only drove it on the street.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by MWM
I recently made the swap from a 996TT and had my first trackday at Barber Motorsports yesterday. The GT3 is so much the better track car (stock vs. stock). Only thing I've done is a race alignment and RS ride height setting and added Pagid RS-19 pads front and rear.

Spun the car once (didn't hit anything -- whew!) and came off the track that session to find 56psi in my rear PS2s (idiot). Lowered tire pressures and all was well. I'll put it to you this way . . . on the second session out I pulled a lap time 10 seconds faster than I did in my turbo, without knowing the car very well at all. But that's only half the story. In feel, it's a way different game too. The turbo wanted to be manhandled around the track, but the GT3 wants to be delicately led, like a ballroom dancer. Took me a while to smoothen out my steering inputs because I had gotten into a bad habit of chucking the car into the turns.

For me, the GT3 is worth $25k more than my turbo was (not the other way 'round, as the window stickers indicated). Even if I only drove it on the street.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. MWM, sounds like you had a great experience tracking. I know what you mean about having to chuck the TT around. I think I'm going to get the GT3. I do like my TT for everyday cruising, but maybe it's time for something different... (and a chance to beef up my left calf muscle!)
Old 05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saw a grey one At Barrier. Do not know if it was sold. Come out to SIR Sunday. You can take mine for a couple of laps.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by roberga
saw a grey one At Barrier. Do not know if it was sold. Come out to SIR Sunday. You can take mine for a couple of laps.
Thanks. Are you going both days? Or is Sunday the PCA day?

There is a low-mile silver GT3 at Barrier, and a new 04 yellow w/leather. I'm thinking about the yellow one.

Quick Reply: Anybody trade a TT for a GT3?