Sponsored by:

Alignment Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alignment Cost?

I had a great discussion with a local suspension genius (Performance Alignment, Cincinnati) who was the suspension guru for the factory Audi R8 program and is involved with the upcoming Audi "R10" project. I have no direct experience with him (yet) but will probably get an race alignment and corner balance before my first track event.

Pricing is by the hour and as he puts it, plan on an entire day. So sounds like it could be $800.00 or so. Is this about right? Given the nature of our beasts, I'm thinking I'll do it regardless as my options are low here in the Dayton, OH area.

What has been your experience with cost variability?

Thanks much.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:03 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.
I had a great discussion with a local suspension genius (Performance Alignment, Cincinnati) who was the suspension guru for the factory Audi R8 program and is involved with the upcoming Audi "R10" project. I have no direct experience with him (yet) but will probably get an race alignment and corner balance before my first track event.

Pricing is by the hour and as he puts it, plan on an entire day. So sounds like it could be $800.00 or so. Is this about right? Given the nature of our beasts, I'm thinking I'll do it regardless as my options are low here in the Dayton, OH area.

Thanks much.
Wow...$800? Damn. When I had my M3 corner balanced and aligned it was about 2 hours total for both. But hey, maybe the guy is a perfectionist. Also, you pay for knowledge I guess. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:34 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I can and do get it done anywhere from $150 to $300 Can...where there are some who charge $750...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:58 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Well I was thinking that $200-300 dollars should be enough. Anybody got an Ohio / Indiana / Michigan / Kentucky recommendation?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a great discussion with a local suspension genius (Performance Alignment, Cincinnati) who was the suspension guru for the factory Audi R8 program and is involved with the upcoming Audi "R10" project.
Thanks much.
I know Cincinnati is the centre of the world, most northerly 'Southern' city, an' all that, but its a hell of a long way from Ingolstadt.

Does he have a name I can run by any over the guys over here?

R+C
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I answered my own question. He works with Champion.

You should ask why Champion never base lined the R8 when they got it from the factory, if this guy was responsible then walk away.

R+C
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,151 Likes on 614 Posts

Sounds like the Santa Barbara discount to me -double the price plus 20% for Montecito. $3-350 max. carl
Old 05-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Jim H.
Pro

It may be a legitimate supply/demand ratio that allows for a higher price in my area. I believe he's booked up all the time so it appears the service is good.

Then again he may fall into line with everybody else cost wise...
He stressed that he works by the hour and simply takes as much time as needed to get the job done right. In truth, he sounded like someone I'd like to maintain the car's alignment. It may be that it only takes 4-5 hours and the resultant initial cost is in the 350-400 dollar range. Just won't know until the job is done (open ended process)

I really just wanted to get a baseline on costs for this service and it seems like 250-400 is about right. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Gilhart 54
Instructor

Jim,

I've used Bill B. before and believe your car will come back perfectly aligned and balanced. The price isn't cheap but in this case you get what you pay for.

Another option is Ken Farler who works on my race car and other Porsche race and street cars, his number is 513-932-1535. Ken's located off the Monroe exit from I-75. I believe Ken will be in the $500 range.

Bill has an alignment rack where Ken I believe uses smart strings, both have scales for corner-weighting.

Another option is to call Dave Schardt(Wheel Source in Dayton). He sells a lot of race wheels and is a racer himself. If he doesn't do alignments he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I've got a couple of other people in mind if these don't work out. Feel free to tell them I sent you.

Rick
Old 05-27-2005, 03:22 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had mine done by a fellow who's weekend job is with the Flying Lizzards GT3 race team, Kenneth Shreves here in Va (they fly him to the races). toe, camber, ride height and corner wieghting $300.00. He works by himself and doesn't have a fancy shop with huge overhead which might be part of the problem in Ca.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Forgot about Ken. Thanks. I also got a recommendation for Freddy Baker Porsche in Cleveland, so it should be easy to get a quality job done somewhere. Of course, that is only due to the great info exchange on this forum. Thanks Rennlist!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Thanks much.
I just had mine done at Performance Imports in Atlanta....along with a corner balance and oil change...$674. These guys do work for ALMS teams. Very good folks.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jim,
Send me an email and I can get you in contact with someone who is cheaper and much better, IMO. I would use Wright Tuning. Jon is a good guy and his techs are very meticulous. His resume and reputation is equally impressive considering his age.
Bill's prices are ridiculous, for that job. Seriously overpriced. I had my race car aligned and cornerbalanced by him three years ago and it was around $350 and at that priced it was less than good.... Had Jon re-do it (the guy I would refer you to) and it was perfect.

Dave Schardt doesn't have a shop to work on retail customers anymore. Jon Wright did his 996 Cup Car and he lets Steinel work on his 944Turbos.

Greg
Old 05-28-2005, 02:13 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

$600~$800 for an alignment OK, I am a newbie in Porsche and I don't race. But I am curious, does all Porsche cost that much for an alignment? Or only GT3? Or only because you guys track them?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
$600~$800 for an alignment OK, I am a newbie in Porsche and I don't race. But I am curious, does all Porsche cost that much for an alignment? Or only GT3? Or only because you guys track them?

No, I think you can get your dealership to to a factory alignment for $200 or so...mine was $250 + $175 for the CB, and then the oil change and some other minor things and tax took it to $675

Quick Reply: Alignment Cost?