Sponsored by:

PIR ORPCA DA Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
ryce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIR ORPCA DA Yesterday

We had 4 GT3s and the track was configured without the chicane on the front straight so speeds were extremely high, over 150mph. How much over depended on the size of your huevos, as threshold braking from over 150 on a green track in an unfamiliar configuration was interesting. We usually run the chicane, in the CART configuration. Of my 4 run sessions, 3 were dry and one was wet. The dunlops worked extremely well in the wet and in the dry; many of the guys running cups sat out the wet run. I am just amazed how capable these cars are on a racetrack. The turbos didn't have a chance. I wish the guy I spoke with who recently bought a 997s had showed up as he told me he bought the s over a GT3 because he wanted the faster car.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:34 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

robyn,
Is he a moron or maybe he ment the Z3. It seems to never end. Maybe the 997 is faster in reverse??

It must have been fun. I have only been on that track with the chicane. Will you be there for the Rose Cup? It would be fun to have a pack from Seattle heading South on that Friday :-)
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 PM
ryce
Instructor

No, he meant GT3. I told him I'd rather drive in his car to Bandon Dunes but on the track? Come on. Porsche is not going to race a 997S.

This is Chris, we met earlier this spring. I've also got a Guards but I've got 1 piece Champions, tech bar, GT seats, 6 pt harnesses. Of my 15 or so times on PIR, this is the first time I've run the course without the chicane. It was wild shifting into 5th and keeping it pinned as the speedo ticks through 150.

I'll be going frequently and hope to run with you soon. I'll make the Rose Cups if I can. There is nothing as much as fun as getting a pack of 3's running together harassing (one word Senator Packwood) the turbos, the vettes, etc.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

After spinning 3 times on Friday with a student on all season tires, I wasn't about to try my luck on MSPCs in a downpour. You da man. How did your WRX pilot do?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Any pics?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:56 AM
ryce
Instructor

No pics Holger, too busy drivin' and instructin'. Street, Derek did very well. He can't wait to go again. The WRX is a good car for him to learn in as it is very forgiving. My dunlops worked very well in the rain. You going to BMW day this Thursday? I might be able to squeeze it in.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Shrews
Instructor

I just picked up my gt3 a couple of weeks ago and would be interested to hear how many (if any) of you have adjusted the rear wing? I'm curious to find out if it helps keep the back end planted under high speed braking situations? Coming down the back straight at Mid-Ohio (145mph+) and under hard braking was the only time i got uncomfortable in the car as rear got light it really started dancing around on me...

Oh ya, the new car... carrera white/black. big reds. I still pinch myself everytime i get in it!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The guy who sets up my car(Greg Fordahl engineer Alex Jobs) had me put 8 degree more wing on my car. It does help at least for our track. I would suggest finding somone that knows your track, maybe something less would work better for you.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Shrews
Instructor

I assume you had to buy shims to achieve 8 degrees? Also, what is the best way to pop the covers off and gain access to the rear wing bolts?

shrews
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by Shrews
I assume you had to buy shims to achieve 8 degrees? Also, what is the best way to pop the covers off and gain access to the rear wing bolts?

shrews

There were some threads on this. They're not easy to remove without damaging them. I put some scotch tape on the end of a screwdriver and pried them off. Seems to work well, but one side has a little cracking. You'll need a Torx T-40 to loosen the bolts that hold the blade on.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

When I get them painted, I will leave the sims on. I gain more on the corners then I give up on the straights and the tracks I drive 8 is best.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Holger B
Race Car

I spray painted my shims flat black. Easy to do and looks really good.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

For you guys who have increased the AOA of your wing in search of more downforce, Have you made any alterations in front ride height to create more front downforce as well?

I remember reading a comment from a Porsche engineer who stated that increasing the wing AOA required a lowering of the front of the car to maintain balance at speed.

Comments?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: PIR ORPCA DA Yesterday