Sponsored by:

A/C delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts
Question A/C delete

With all the chatter here about weight reduction, I've never heard anyone bring up the A/C delete option. How much does the A/C weigh? How many people have a GT3 without A/C?

I bought mine off the lot or else I wouldn't have gotten the A/C or stereo.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

holger, the only one i know is MDS's first gt3, no ac.
but trust me holger, keep the a/c unless you have a trailer. i ditched my dedicated track car b/c it had no a/c. i drove it from button willow to SF in mid summer. after that one trip, i dumped the car at 1/2 the price i paid for and bought a car with a/c....

now if you got a trailer and tow car, fine. else DO NOT take out your AC, you will regret it.

the m3 i am building will have the ac kept.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

the m3 i am building will have the ac kept.

but the one you are trying to replicate doesnt have a/c,

We dont need no stinkin A/C

all you need is a cooler, a towel and some ice..
Old 05-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Even though I use my A/C maybe 2-3 times per year, I have no intention of ditching it. Just curious what the weight savings would be if it came without it.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the whole thing weighs about 40lbs. Mine was built to order with AC and I like to keep it. You can remove the AC and save the parts for yourself or the next owner, but it is fairly complicated. My suggestion to you is pull the fuse on it and see if your'e gonna miss it in a few months. With the bypass it's nice to be able to roll up the windows.

In my case I alreay have the GT3 Cup decklid installed, and the matching GT3 Cup intake is higly likely ... in that case the the A/C may have to go cuz the compressor will be in the way.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

I do have a trailer and yeah I could remove the ac from my GT3 but let me tell you when you need it man do you ever need it at that moment. Just imagine taking cross country trips where it's 100 plus degrees-ugh. The weight savings alone is not enough for me to ditch it. I usa to drive my GTI up to Thunderhill and with no ac/sound insulation it was hell going there-thank god the engine blew so I didn't have to drive back with 100+ degrees in the afternoon. Holger just lose 40 lbs and you are there : ). Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
DCLee
Pro

You can special order A/C delete--- a guy in Michigan bought a Midnight Blue one with no A/C for a good price (it was virtually un-sellable). Unless this car is NEVER going back to stock, I'd leave it in.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Like I said, I have no intention of taking it out (although I could easily live without it).

I just think it's funny the things that people will do and the money they spend to shed a pound or two, yet no one talks about giving up the A/C...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wimpy's

We have all become AC wimps!! I know I have. Here in Florida, mine runs about 98% of the time.

When I was deployed in the Navy to the Persian Gulf, where it maxed out at 128 degrees, I got used to the heat and it was OK.

I think it is what were used to.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM
ryce
Instructor

My friend who got one of the early cars, since passed on to a new owner, without AC or radio. I'm keeping mine. I did fine yesterday at PIR playing with a couple other GT3's with my AC and my son sitting in the passenger seat. He was out for the first time in our WRX wagon. I think I've created a new track junkie. He already wants suspension and track wheels/tires. I told him save up your money but learn the lines and how to drive smoothly before thinking about upgrading the car. One of the locals brought out his new Ford GT, although he didn't run it. That is a serious looking piece of machinery.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

What? This is Texas... we DO need stinking A/Cs!!!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by ryce
One of the locals brought out his new Ford GT, although he didn't run it. That is a serious looking piece of machinery.
I saw one yesterday in my cul de sac ... red with white stripes. I think he was given my address to look for a fast GT3 to race Looks and sounds mean, the fiberglass work is worse than Chevy. I could see this thing eating a GT3 alive though … it has very serious tuning potential.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by ryce
One of the locals brought out his new Ford GT, although he didn't run it. That is a serious looking piece of machinery.
With all the recalls & problems, I'd be afraid to drive one on track.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

AC... depends on the climate where you live and what you want from the car. Besides the weight issue, its one less thing to maintain, and without the condenser the air flow up front is improved to the radiator.

US GT3s without AC that I have heard about:

- As 'Mooty" said he had one
- 'mds' had a speed yellow one
- 'Marco Polo'
- midnight blue in Michigan (I too remember that one 'DCLee')
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Geez, AC delete, weight savings, trailers? Just buy a cup car. You won't be happy until you do.
My car is 90% track, but here in the desert there is no way I'm not haveing AC.

Quick Reply: A/C delete