RS Clone headed for the track--

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 09:29 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default RS Clone headed for the track--

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...t_may05_02.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...05_f_copy1.jpg

Rain forecast this weekend, but ya know... after six months of build-time, I don't care.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:38 PM
fahren affair
Pro

nice rig. have fun.
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Very nice. Full track report or Ban!
Old 05-14-2005 | 12:17 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Looks good Lee. If you need someone to shake it down for you, ya know, me being all familiar with GT3s and Summit Point! I expect sub 1:20s from you, as your car should be much faster than mine!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-14-2005 | 11:32 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Holy frick, Lee... looking good. Be safe and have a great time!
Old 05-14-2005 | 01:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

wow..i jized numerous times when seeing those pics.

thats frekin amazing.
what kind of trailer is that btw? the tire rack feature is very convenient.
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:58 PM
Moogle
Race Car

its a truely wonderful sight to see one of these cars being used properly
Old 05-14-2005 | 06:14 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Lee, have fun and stay safe. BTW, what make of trailer is that ? Itl ooks like EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Robin
Old 05-14-2005 | 06:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Very nice Lee!

I'd still prefer white car but that's pretty badass anyway!
Old 05-14-2005 | 09:17 PM
JS
Race Car

Nice DC, but you have to lose the GT3 RS badge, they didnt make yellow.
Old 05-14-2005 | 10:01 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gtdrei
Lee, have fun and stay safe. BTW, what make of trailer is that ? Itl ooks like EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Robin

www.trailex.com

Expensive but very light. If you go to any DE or PCA Club Race you will see lots of these.
Old 05-15-2005 | 10:46 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JASCLASS
Nice DC, but you have to lose the GT3 RS badge, they didnt make yellow.

rofl...don't egg him on man..he looks like the type of guy who'd repaint his car white to match
Old 05-15-2005 | 07:51 PM
DCLee
Pro

Guys:

OK, you had your fun. Now for the tale of my first track outing in the new car...

Almost didn't make it. Trailer lost a wheel outside of Frederick, MD, I wrestle the whipsawing rig to a halt and watch my wheel bounce across the Interstate median. Risk life and limb dashing across the highway to retrieve wheel. But the studs had sheared, no go. Fender torn up, too. Some fellow Potomac members bail me out (thanks Howard, Marianna, & KJ). I Unload the car and KJ graciously follows me to town, where I proceed to park in a Shell station. Go back and pick up the trailer, figure that unloaded it'll tow on three wheels-- yup, no problem. I waste two hours and a lot of miles trying unsuccessfuly to get three RV places to touch it. I turn around, as I am heading for Pa., and drive 40 mins. back to the track, where a local wizard starts banging on it. Shoulda done this from the get-go. (Thanks, David!). I catch a ride back to Frederick, pick up the car, yadda yadda...

Anyway-- two runs on Sat., rained out on the third. Car was great. Zero runs on Sunday, a.m. session had rain, the red group is red-flagged for a crash. In the p.m., I go to help with the trailer fix, that kills a couple hours. Anyway, with my karma-meter at low ebb, I decide to pack up and call it a weekend.

This brings to mind two basic laws of tracking: 1) When you are banging on a brand new-built car right up to the night before an event, something WILL go wrong. 2) Only morons set off without re-torquing their trailer wheel bolts. Guilty on both counts.

Impressions of the car--
* Very impressed with the RS/Cup suspension, especially the bump-absorption. This setup is very good on both street and track. The trick is not going crazy on the spring rates.
* Steering feels very numb on-center, without much feedback from the front wheels. A Cupcar driver at the track told me his feels the same way.
* Those Pagid Yellow enduro brakes turn the pedal into a brick! Forget modulation, you have to stand on them.
* Very sensitive steering means nervous wheel-jerking will make the car unhappy. I'm practicing my fingertip technique.
* The P-Zero Corsas were good, not great. Never got the temps right, was running them way too hot (like 45-46 lbs.), next time I'll start at 26 lbs. cold. I am praying for more Toyo RA-1 sizes.
* I am thrilled with the pricey Ti exhaust-- not too loud, nice high-pitched scream, quiet off the throttle. I will eventually get some video and post the files. You'll be impressed...

Misc.-- We had a red Carrera GT out on Sat.-- Blue Group student who had previously wrapped his T-T around a tree. Congrats to Dirk for going out with the guy, who apparently was very well behaved in his new ride. Lotsa GT3s-- everyone drove well. The Hermanator would have smoked us, but hey, we're just dilettantes.

I have pix of the car on the track coming on a CD in a week or so, will post, In the meantime, here is a static shot from the track-- that was me this weekend, mostly static...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...14_05_s_01.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...14_05_s_02.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...14_05_r_01.jpg

Last edited by DCLee; 05-15-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2005 | 08:20 PM
WULF
Instructor

Lucky it's all worth it in the end. Fantastic car. Speed Yellow is the go - pity it's such a cop magnet. Its' a wonder they didn't pull you over with it just sitting on the trailer!
Old 05-15-2005 | 08:32 PM
DCLee
Pro

FYI, I added two more paddock pix to my post-- I had to shrink them down to get them to load. That's my trusty tow vehicle next to the car.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone

Quick Reply: RS Clone headed for the track--