Help Removing Seat Belt From Tequipment Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Finally got it out...

The dealer that installed the bar, McKenna I think, must have used an impact gun to do it. The threads were desrtoyed on the bolt...three rows of thread were missing....stuck on the body attachment point. Being as the threads were a partial mass of metal on the bolt, it would not come through the metal spacer...but I finally muslced it out.

So, I had to chase the threads of the body attachment point with a tap that luckily the hardware store had (7/16" x 20 pitch -- believe it or not, an SAE size, which surprised me) and bought a nice grade 8.8 shouldered bolt they had too! After tapping the hole, the new bolt threaded in nicely and I am all good to go now. What a PITA. I wish somebody would have just done it correctly the first time....oh well. At least it is done. Thanks for the help on this, Tim
Congrats ! you are now inducted into the tech equipment roll bar wrestling league Hall of Fame...I have felt your pain. I too replaced my bolts with grade 8 with thicker bolt heads...less shear potential vs stock, imo...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks...glad to be part of the club. hah. I was also happy to see that the bolts I used had larger heads...although the fancy gromet that goes over them no longer fits. :-( Who cares..lol.

Quick Reply: Help Removing Seat Belt From Tequipment Bar