Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC delayed another month!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005 | 04:52 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Default MPSC delayed another month!!

I just got this from Tire Rack about the 295/30R18's I've had on backorder for weeks. TODAY was supposed to be the date they were available but instead:

"The estimate to get your tires into stock has been updated to 6/10/05 now. I will continue to keep you updated if there are any more changes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you."

Anyone know of anybody who has these tires in stock?

How about the next best brand to go with?
Old 05-09-2005 | 04:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Nobody! They are out everywhere. The V710s are on backorder, as are the 245/305 Hoosiers. I was trying to order a wheel/tire package today, but w/o rubber, the wheels do me little good.

Looks like I'll beat on street tires for another two events. Ugh.

Toyos come in a 245/305 combo, but the rears have a 35 aspect ratio and have a 1" larger diameter. Anyone know if the larger diameter tire rubs anthing (eg, fender liners, etc at full compression)? Of course gearing gets even taller, just wondering if there are any other issues.

Edit: the slightly skinnier Yok A048Rs appear to be instock. But, these tires are supposed to be tougher to drive given their breakaway characteristics.

The Pirellis appear to be in stock, but not the front N spec tires, so you may have to go with the non-N spec tire. From a German magazine, the Pirellis and the Michelins were their top tires, tested on a Mk I GT3 running timed laps with -2.5/-2.4 degrees of camber. I have the article if anyone wants a copy.

Last edited by frayed; 05-09-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2005 | 05:57 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
The Pirellis appear to be in stock, but not the front N spec tires, so you may have to go with the non-N spec tire. From a German magazine, the Pirellis and the Michelins were their top tires, tested on a Mk I GT3 running timed laps with -2.5/-2.4 degrees of camber. I have the article if anyone wants a copy.
What model Pirelli?
Old 05-09-2005 | 05:58 PM
frayed
Race Car

P zero corsas
Old 05-09-2005 | 06:21 PM
DCLee
Pro

I hate the MPSCs, so you aren't missing a thing. I am running unshaved Corsas as street/rain tires until something better comes along-- still having a hard time believing our fellow Rennlister's recommendation to try 275/335 Toyo RA-1s.

The Michelin is certainly a sticky tire when brand new, but after some heat cycles, mine got hard as bricks. Obviously, the Corsas are slower, but I see them as an interim street solution. Of course, you *could* try to tool around on the new factory-grooved Hoosiers, I bet those would be fun while they lasted...

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 05-09-2005 | 06:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

I ran used Michelins with one hard heat cycle in them. They were horrible, but I blamed that on the takes offs I bought. Not good hearing your report dclee.
Old 05-09-2005 | 06:43 PM
DCLee
Pro

Well, ya know, some people absolutely love the Michelins, so I speak only from personal preference here. I am running Pirelli slicks (and factory rains, if it comes to that) this weekend (although the car is set up for Hoosiers). Not the fastest thing out there, but a good DE tire at a decent price. I believe The Hermanator has given them his seal of approval...

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 05-09-2005 | 06:57 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by DCLee
I hate the MPSCs, so you aren't missing a thing. I am running unshaved Corsas as street/rain tires until something better comes along-- still having a hard time believing our fellow Rennlister's recommendation to try 275/335 Toyo RA-1s.

The Michelin is certainly a sticky tire when brand new, but after some heat cycles, mine got hard as bricks. Obviously, the Corsas are slower, but I see them as an interim street solution. Of course, you *could* try to tool around on the new factory-grooved Hoosiers, I bet those would be fun while they lasted...

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
I'm on my 7th set of MPSC's (or will be when I get them) and I really like the tires. I agree that they can be heat cycled but in my experience they are no worse then any other R compounds I've used over the years. In fact some have held up really well. At the last timed event I set my fastest lap ever at the end of the day on tires that had been heat cycle probably close to 15 times (my wife was sharing the car so they had 10 sessions on just that weekend alone) . These tires while almost completely worn still have acceptable grip.

Factory-grooved Hoosiers? Ummmmmm....... problem is that I don't think they aer legal for the class I run in the POC.

-Kevin
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:30 AM
mds
Pro

MPSC's are available in USA. But with all this dissing of them, my lips are sealed as to where. Find 'em yourselves.
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:43 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

You might try wheelenhancement - they often have stock that others don't (but in this case I have no idea). Call John or Dave - if they don't have them, I'm sure they will give you the true skinny on the situation.
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:45 AM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

it sucks. the worse news is Pirelli will stop making the Corsas in 295 as well. only the N6 semi-track Corsa Systems will be produced or brought to the states.
Old 05-10-2005 | 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

wheel enhancement doesn't have mpsc as of last tuesday. i called.
Old 05-10-2005 | 01:23 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

DC Lee,

If you are comparing MPSC's to Pirelli slicks, I can see why you wouldn't like them. Compared to other R compound street tires they seem to be the best of the bunch and seem to heat cycle reasonably well. However I seem to toast them in two track days with my GT2 so my heat cycle experience is limited.

I can also tell you if you like the Pirelli slicks, switch to the Michelin Cup slicks and you will be amazed. They are about 2 seconds a lap faster on my cup car then the Pirelli's which I ran for a a number of seasons. For the money the Yokohama slicks are the best bang for the buck, but they fall off a lot after 4 heat cycles or so. The Michelin slicks fall off very little after the first few heat cycles, and are very consistent throughout a heat cycle, where the Pirelli's seem to go away after about 10 hard laps.

Kevin you have mail regarding the location of an unmounted, new set of MPSC in S. Calif.

JCM
Old 05-10-2005 | 09:00 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

I was told by both tire rack and wheel enhancement that they had the stock front sizes and that I could go with 315's on the rear in the sport cups and they would fit. ( I might have to adjust the cambera bit though). Tire rack had them so... I bought them. I am now waiting for delivery of my new Kinesis Motorsport K 18 wheels with black centers to mount them on. The 315's on the rear could be a solution for you all. Any comments from the field other than the car will understeer a bit more
Gmund
Old 05-10-2005 | 10:13 AM
DCLee
Pro

The only reason I am on Pirellis right now is that I picked up a couple of sets from a race team at really good prices. When those are gone, I probably need to get used to the new Hoosiers, since that's what I have to club race on. I have tried and liked the Yoko slicks in the past and hear the Michelin's are even better, as you say. The hot setup around here for the GT3 Cup guys in the Dunlop slick, but at $1,600 a set, that's outside my budget window.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone

Quick Reply: MPSC delayed another month!!