Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 4 days of ownership, heading off to track for initial shakedown. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found already the rear end is very lively and moves around a lot. . . but seems *very* stable under throttle. Car gives an awesome 'downforce' feel in fast corners under hard gas. Wickedly awesome. I'm pretty excited about exploring things on the track.

I was running 2.01s in my E36 on Kumhos. I've decided that against my nature, I'm not gonna to time myself; rather just go out and goof around and get a feel for the car. I figger speed will come back as I get used to the car and get things set up properly.

-----------

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been using up my street tires at the track too. For camber -1 1/2 front & -2 1/4 rear seems to work well and the tire wear is very even. Also, I went a notch softer on the rear sway bar (seems to suit my driving style better).

My biggest driving adjustment (moving up from a 996 C2) was being more gentle with the throttle after the apex in slow turns. My old car didn't react as quickly (so I formed some bad habits), the new one likes to kick the tail out in that situation. Everything happens much more rapidly in a GT3.

Also, I find that even the stock brakes need a little heat in them (as well as the PS2's) before they really begin to bite.

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out Max's videos of his GT3 in action, that will give you an idea. www.maxige.com
Old 05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is your car broken-in after only 4 days?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Check out Max's videos of his GT3 in action, that will give you an idea. www.maxige.com

Who is Max.?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
Is your car broken-in after only 4 days?

I drive A LOT. j/k. Car came with 3.4k on the clock.

Holger, just a note on the stock brakes. The stock pad compound strikes me almost as a mild track compound, like a Porterfield R4 or perhaps a bit milder. Dust a lot, squeak at low pedal pressures, such as rolling to a stop, and have great feel and modulation; very confidence inspiring. Nice to see Porsche use such aggressive pads. I'm hoping they hold up under the grip of street tires on the track (please correct me if I'm wrong), but recognize I'll have to go to good track pads with Hooosierdaddies or MPSCs.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The stock pads worked just fine with my street Rosso N5s at my last event. Terrific modulation and feel with great stopping power. No fade.

I will probably burn up another set of steets (Rossos or PS2s) learning the car on stock pads. The experience of others says that you will likely need to go with a more aggressive pad when you slap the R-tires on.

While you're at it, you may as well do the brake fluid, start looking for some seats, a roll bar, harnesses...

Oh my, where does it stop?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
He has some cool videos on one SLOW server!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

I've found already the rear end is very lively and moves around a lot. . . but seems *very* stable under throttle

stock pad is decent for track use. however, once you change the fluid and move to pagid yellow, orange or black, the pedal feel is unbelievable.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advise is bring some tools just in case...as the car doesn't have any. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:12 AM
frayed
Race Car

I'm back. Stream of conciousness thoughts.

Whew. Car pulls like freight train down the straights yet corners like a scalpel. Easy to rotate with a bit of trail braking, and you can stop rotation with lots of loud pedal. Uncanny steering feel on track, and the stock braking system (including pads) is actually track worthy, unlike pretty much every other production car on the planet under 100k. In addition, the PS2s came on nicely with heat in them.

Car has wicked mid corner grip under power. Absolutely stunning.

Stock suspension is awesome on track; very predictable and can handle rough patches on the track easily. Though I had to 'wait' for the car to take a set in a few places unlike Motoned setups in bmws. But not obscene or anything.

Car attracts tons of attention on track, with regular groups standing around taking pics and asking questions.

I snuck into 3 different run groups (blue, white, yellow) for max track time.

I ran street tires today to shake down the car and figger out how it likes to be driven. Next time out: Lots of camber, forged ltw track wheels, Rcomps. Yeeeehaaa.

Can't wait to start exploring the limits of the machine, which are signifcantly beyond my ability.

-------------

Thanks all.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

glad you enjoyed it. in the slower run groups, are you scaring the sh*t out of the noobs ;-)
Old 05-08-2005, 01:17 AM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah. When I wasn't running by myself, I was passing an entire train on the straights. The DE had open passing on the straights, and I think I passed 8 cars in one shot. Afterwards, folks came by asking WTF kinda porsche is that thing?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff, sounds like fun, which track, what group, was it lonestar tws?
Chris
Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Bet your cheeks are sore from sleeping all night with "the grin"! Glad you're enjoying it so well, enjoying your stories.

Quick Reply: After 4 days of ownership, heading off to track for initial shakedown. Advice?