Cargraphic Turbo Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Dj993TT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargraphic Turbo Wheels?

Hey guys,
Recently I've gotten a huge liking for the GT3 Mk2, and have been doing all the researcher and fun planning before actually going to buy one. I'm going with something steetable, awesome on track, and still with some luxurios amenities on the inside. OEM+ as some would like to call it. Performance wise I have no problem going for Exhaust/Chip/Intake combo while taking off as much weight as possible without sacrificing Audio in the cabin. The OEM Porsche goodies which Carnewal and Cargraphic offer (RS wing, RS flywheel, rollbar, front bumper, RS hood Mirrors etc) all fit my criterion perfectly. But...

My question right now is in the aspect of the wheels compartment. I am really looking for something to take some weight off while still being streetable and looking good. I am looking for a car to be driven regularly on and off the track, so I don't know how much of an option Magnesium BBS' are. I really like the Cargraphic Turbo R wheel. It looks very nice and presents a good amount of bling, but how strong and just how light are the wheels in question? Would they be at all good for Track use? They are a 3-piece 19" so this might be very questionable, but the problem is just that I have no clue what to look for. Does anyone on here have or know anything good/bad about them that I should know before potentially pulling the trigger? My second choice would definetly be Fikses, but I'd love to know the news on the Cargraphic wheels, or any other wheels you guys my suggest. TIA

Dj993TT
Old 05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
cargraphicusa
AutoX

Hi DJ,

I hope you dont mind my chiming in, The Turbo R wheel is one of our newer wheel designs and my favorite as well, It uses the same construction and technology as our 3 pc. racing wheel. The Centers are Forged and the wheel carries a TUV approval with a 6000 Lb load rating. As far as runnig of the 19" on the track , We recently put alot of the speculation to bed by running a 19" wheel and tire combo on our GT3RSC at the 2005 Tuner Grand Prix which we won overall and beat out several high horsepower Turbo's running 18" Track compound tires. Not to say the 19" is better because the 18" sticky tire will always offer an advantage but it shows that the 19" tire technology has come a long way. As far as 19" multi pc. wheels go the Turbo R is pretty light @ 25-26Lbs. yet it is very strong due to the unique lip design which uses a thin stianless cap along the lip Which incidentally makes the lip very easy to keep clean. Give us a call if you have any other questions and good luck in your search

Regards,
Hershel@Cargraphic
800-815-3751
305-592-4482
Old 05-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj993TT
Performance wise I have no problem going for Exhaust/Chip/Intake combo while taking off as much weight as possible without sacrificing Audio in the cabin.
If you're referring to the stereo, it's crap. Forget about it. Upgrading it would be a waste unless you plan to insulate the cabin or use headphones.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dj993tt - Just a couple of facts:

1) Wheels weigh more than tires. Going to 19 inch wheels will do nothing but add unsprung weight and reduce the performance of your car. Some vehicles need 19 inchers to clear huge brake rotors but that's not your situation. They are also heavier which further reduces performance because rotating mass counts more than statis mass.

2) If you want to track the car, the appeal of R compounds will surely come. At the moment 19 inch R compounds are almost non existant which is why most of us prefer 18 inch wheels. A good 18 inch wheel will weigh about 20-21 lbs in front and 22 in back.

3) A 19 inch wheel is more subject to pinch flats and damage to the rim itself because there is less tire to protect the rim. This can be a major pain if you drive on bad roads.

4) Mag wheels (the real ones) are not DOT approved because they are brittle and subject to breaking if you hit something hard - like a pot hole. Racers examine their wheels very carefully before every race and most teams change them yearly. Racing mags are not a good thing for street use which is precisely why they are not approved. If a wheel breaks and casuses and accident your insurance company may use this as an excuse to deny coverage.

Regards,
Old 05-22-2005, 06:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

BBS makes the same wheel in forged Al centers, which are reputedly more road worthy. Can't remember exact weights, but 20.8 and 22 come to mind. Not sure if I'd run them on the street, but the centers are street worthy from what I understand, and you can get a slightly higher gauge rim half that can withstand the rigors of pothole duty.

Champion sells three wheels that fit the GT3: RG5s (with front spacers), RG97s, and RS98s (only in 19s, ick). Champion has a good rep, and the wheels are made in a large Japanese foundry. From what I understand they are forged in a near net shape, supposedly stronger than wheels machined from forged ingots.

You can always spec the wheel of your choice from Fikse, Kinesis, or HRE as well, though from what I understand the BBS three piece wheels have a rim half seal that is structurally more sound than those from the boutique manufacturers.

Perhaps somebody with more wheel expertise can chime in.

Stick with 18s though.

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Turbo Wheels?